See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
Haven't seen him smile in a little while
But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
R.I.P. JEN
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    Love Is Hell will always be my favorite. 29 is a close second at the moment.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • Summer of 69'
    NERDS!
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I only have Gold and Rock N Roll. I love them both and do not know why I don't own more. There are time when his music sounds like The Smiths...and then others where I hear Grateful Dead -- very entertaining/enjoyable. For whatever reason, don't know why, I am always going to these two albums on my iPod whenever I am on a plane traveling for work (and that is a lot).

I would like any suggestion on which of his CDs to buy next.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    dirt wrote:
    I only have Gold and Rock N Roll. I love them both and do not know why I don't own more. There are time when his music sounds like The Smiths...and then others where I hear Grateful Dead -- very entertaining/enjoyable. For whatever reason, don't know why, I am always going to these two albums on my iPod whenever I am on a plane traveling for work (and that is a lot).

I would like any suggestion on which of his CDs to buy next.

Run - don't walk - to buy Heartbreaker.

You're welcome.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Love Is Hell
    Cold Roses
    JCN
    Heartbreaker
    Rock N Roll
    Demolition
    Gold
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
    bird jam wrote:
    Run - don't walk - to buy Heartbreaker.

You're welcome.

Alright...Heartbreaker it is. I am dropping in to my record store tomorrow afternoon to pick up some vinyl that has finally arrived...I will pick up this cd and check it out. Thanks!

Btw, if you ever end up in Grand Rapids (perhaps for a PJ show in May) -- check out Vertigo Records. It's a great shop -- the owner has been in the biz forever and takes great care of those who support the store. The store is only a few blocks from Van Andel Arena -- some good restraunts and bars between too!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Love is hell.
  • my fav official album is Rock N Roll with Cold Roses a close second. But i also like alot of his "unofficial" releases esp. The Pinkhearts Sessions and 48 Hours.
    Meg: Everybody! Guess what I am?
    Stewie: Hm, the end result of a drunken back-seat grope-fest and a broken prophylactic?
  • Demolition is my favorite
  • 1. Cold Roses
    2. Love is Hell
    3. Jacksonville City Nights
    4. Gold
    5. Heartbreaker
    6. 29
    7. Rock and Roll
    8. Demolition
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I only have Cold Roses and Jacksonville City Nights. I love them both.
    Cock Fight.
  • lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    gotta be Love is Hell, with pt.1 above 2.
    Her?
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    ryan adams is a musical wonder. i LOVE all of his albums. i can't choose just one.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Demolition is my favorite

Ditto......
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    i'd have to say it's a tie between 'cold roses' and 'jacksonville...'
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    Cold Roses..So many beautiful songs on that album..
    I also like Demolition..Good rock album..
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
    I am listening to Shadowlands for the first time ever....wow. How could so much of this guy's catalog have gotten by me????????????

My store I like to buy from was out of Heartbreaker - I did pick up Love is Hell and Demolition. I need to digest, but Shadowlands is simply fantastic. I don't like buying music from Best Buy, so I will have to get Heartbreaker later this week.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • jdr3777jdr3777 Posts: 23
    I have to say Cold Roses is my favorite.
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    dirt wrote:
    I am listening to Shadowlands for the first time ever....wow. How could so much of this guy's catalog have gotten by me????????????

My store I like to buy from was out of Heartbreaker - I did pick up Love is Hell and Demolition. I need to digest, but Shadowlands is simply fantastic. I don't like buying music from Best Buy, so I will have to get Heartbreaker later this week.

Would love to hear your thoughts when you finally get Heartbreaker.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Heartbreaker is my favortie, followed closely by Cold Roses and Jacksonville City Nights.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Alright.

Now that I own all of his official releases and have put in (a lot) the time listening to his music -- I think that I like 29, Heartbreaker, and Jacksonville City Nights best.

I think what I like best about this guy is his diverse range. My first exposure to him was his rock stuff (Rock n Roll and 1974) and I dug it. Love Is Hell took me back back to a place I thought I left behing many years ago... I lovelovelovelovelove music. Rock music, mostly. If it's good it's good. Labels and categories are for other people, not me. This guy is so talented and I LOVE where Cold Roses, JCN, and 29 take us...cannot wait for more.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i fell asleep last night listening to 'i see monsters' on endless loop. had to change my batteries this morning. :)

if you think he's uber talented now, you should go give whiskeytown a listen. 'strangers almanac' and 'faithless street' specifically.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Nothing beats Love is Hell.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    cold roses
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I'd go with "Love Is Hell", tough decision though. Amazing how many great songs the guy has written.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Definitely "Heartbreaker", but if I can pick a Whiskeytown record, "Pneumonia" is fantastic.

Can't wait for that Willie Nelson / Ryan & the Cardinals collaboration coming out next month!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I really like the music of his I've heard.

Of the cd's I own, I'd rank them in this order:

Gold
    Jacksonville City Nights
    RockNRoll
    Love is Hell

I guess I really need to get Demolition and Heartbreaker.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    saw ryan and the cardinals last night. they were fucking awesome (though the crowd were twats. reminded me of dylan going electric). my favourite album is Gold followed by heartbreaker.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Nothing beats Love is Hell.

agreed. i put demolition a distant 2nd, then 29, then cold roses.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times