Options

Tommy VS The Wall??

excellentbadgerexcellentbadger Posts: 18
edited March 2006 in Other Music
both classic rock operas with films to go with, just wondering which you prefer?

not in terms of Pink Floyd Vs The Who, more which do you think is the better in terms of quality, coherence etc and in relation to the other work the band has done?

which do you listen to more and which has the better film?

just to pass the time. shame we cant do polls anymore, unless im missing something
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Wall
    (ten)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Tommy ... for musicianship, a better story, and a much better ending. It's classic and I still play it.

The Wall is probably one of the most depressing collections of songs I've ever heard. It didn't help that when it came out, it was overplayed everywhere you went. Not to diminish it's musical value, because it really is well-written, but I don't think I'd play it in its entirety in the foreseeable future.

As for the movies ... Ken Russell was a maniac and Tommy is a very weird flick. That didn't stop me from seeing it numerous times when it was originally released, but when I bought it on video years later, I couldn't believe that I'd gone to see it so many times just for the chance to see The Who for a second on the big screen.

I've only seen The Wall a couple of times. I don't get high, but maybe if I did, I'd get what people like about it. I'll leave that one to the true Floyd fans.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    Tommy.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Tommy. In my opinion this is the best complete Rock n' Roll album of all time. It doesn't have the best songs sepereately, but when played together, nothing tops it. Its a masterpiece.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Tommy all the way.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    PJ SparksPJ Sparks Posts: 83
    Music - Tommy (not to slag The Wall, of course) and I suggest to anyone WHO->has the money or is internet savy, get the deluxe edition. Some of those outtakes are awesome.

Film - The Wall. Its surely not the kinda thing I'll want to watch too often, and I doubt I'll buy it, but I never got into Tommy the film. That's just me.

PJ Sparks
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Tommy is better, in my opinion.
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    ill go with Tommy. love them both though
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I cannot choose between two classics. If I had to choose one to listen to for the rest of my life, it would have to be The Wall because Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb is one of the greatest guitar moments of all time. That, and I'd still have Who's Next to listen to :)
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    The Wall, all the way for me. I own and like both, but I just don't see how Tommy can compare to this. Quadrophenia comes closer.

Tommy flows quite nicely, but The Wall is the epitome of flow. It's so beautifully melodic...and individually Tommy doesnt have anything that I could compare to the likes of Mother and Comfortably Numb.

Tommy could do with a modern day makeover. It's brilliant for its time, don't get me wrong.
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I like the Wall. But both are great. I thought when Water's performed the Wall in Berlin after the fall was fantastic. Thomas Dolby as the teacher was great!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    I would go with Tommy as well. Neither are movies that I'd buy but as far as the music and the story it tells Tommy is slightly better. There are a few songs on the Wall that I skip because hearing a *beep* and a "United States calling, do you accept the charges?" can only be played through on the first few listens. As far bands go, I would say that I like Pink Floyd better. These two bands along with Led Zeppelin and the Beatles definitely top my "bands from across the pond" list.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    The Wall! Probably one of ym favourite albums of all time!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    The Wall, by a lot.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln