favorite elvis song?

BackwardsBlues1BackwardsBlues1 Posts: 152
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I think mine is suspicious minds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't like Elvis in any era, guise, shape or form (just as I don't like Johnny Cash), but I like some of the songs he recorded, such as Carl Perkins's Blue Suede Shoes, when covered by other artists.
  • I don't like Elvis in any era, guise, shape or form (just as I don't like Johnny Cash), but I like some of the songs he recorded, such as Carl Perkins's Blue Suede Shoes, when covered by other artists.

elvis was engraved into my brain as a child along with willie nelson and fleetwood mac. I have no idea if I actually like these people's music or if it was just such an enormous part of my childhood it's nostalgia or something.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I think mine is suspicious minds.
    That one or "In The Ghetto"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Wise men say, only fools rush in, but I can't help falling in love with you . . .is my favorite song.

I needlepointed an Elvis head shot when I was 18. It's framed and hanging in my hallway.

Someone told me recently that if she met Elvis on the road she would kick him. I didn't ask why. Any reason why someone would not like Elvis as a person? Did he show animosity towards any individuals or particular groups of people?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • elvis was engraved into my brain as a child along with willie nelson and fleetwood mac. I have no idea if I actually like these people's music or if it was just such an enormous part of my childhood it's nostalgia or something.

I think all three artists you've mentioned are almost in the water supply, they're that entrenched in people's musical consciousness. I think most people with even the most casual aquaintance with Elvis know his story like the back of their hand: Ed Sullivan '56, Sun Records sessions, going in the army, dyeing his hair black like momma, Colonel Parker's influence, doing progressively worse films while The Beatles conquer America, the '68 comeback special, marrying and breaking up with Priscilla, Suspicious Minds, Vegas, cheeseburgers, Hawaii telecast, more cheeseburgers, drugs, weight, American Trilogy, more cheeseburgers, shooting televisions, cheeseburgers, getting fatter, more drugs, dying on the toilet. Everyone knows all this, but do new audiences really like any of it, or the music, all these years later and coming to it after the fact?
  • mystery train
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • I think all three artists you've mentioned are almost in the water supply, they're that entrenched in people's musical consciousness. I think most people with even the most casual aquaintance with Elvis know his story like the back of their hand: Ed Sullivan '56, Sun Records sessions, going in the army, dyeing his hair black like momma, Colonel Parker's influence, doing progressively worse films while The Beatles conquer America, the '68 comeback special, marrying and breaking up with Priscilla, Suspicious Minds, Vegas, cheeseburgers, Hawaii telecast, more cheeseburgers, drugs, weight, American Trilogy, more cheeseburgers, shooting televisions, cheeseburgers, getting fatter, more drugs, dying on the toilet. Everyone knows all this, but do new audiences really like any of it, or the music, all these years later and coming to it after the fact?

well, I was born the year elvis died, so you could say I am after the fact. and honestly, I never really liked it much until now, really. my dad has just been obsessed with elvis since he was 10. I associate nice saturday mornings at my parents house with elvis (and chick singers of the 70s- stevie nicks, carly simon, crystal gale).
  • well, I was born the year elvis died, so you could say I am after the fact. and honestly, I never really liked it much until now, really. my dad has just been obsessed with elvis since he was 10. I associate nice saturday mornings at my parents house with elvis (and chick singers of the 70s- stevie nicks, carly simon, crystal gale).

I can remember Elvis dying. I was five. I could read, and the newpaper headline confused me, saying, "The King is Dead". I didn't know we had a king, let alone a sweaty one, in a flared sequined jump suit and velcro sideburns. :)
  • I can remember Elvis dying. I was five. I could read, and the newpaper headline confused me, saying, "The King is Dead". I didn't know we had a king, let alone a sweaty one, in a flared sequined jump suit and velcro sideburns. :)

hahaha that's hilarious.
    at least you were in UK where it would be possible to have a king...I wonder what the 5 year olds in the U.S. were thinking when they read those headlines.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    wasn't he kind of mean? i respect him for his music and the influence he had on the beatles, though even they were totally let down by meeting him.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I think all three artists you've mentioned are almost in the water supply, they're that entrenched in people's musical consciousness. I think most people with even the most casual aquaintance with Elvis know his story like the back of their hand: Ed Sullivan '56, Sun Records sessions, going in the army, dyeing his hair black like momma, Colonel Parker's influence, doing progressively worse films while The Beatles conquer America, the '68 comeback special, marrying and breaking up with Priscilla, Suspicious Minds, Vegas, cheeseburgers, Hawaii telecast, more cheeseburgers, drugs, weight, American Trilogy, more cheeseburgers, shooting televisions, cheeseburgers, getting fatter, more drugs, dying on the toilet. Everyone knows all this, but do new audiences really like any of it, or the music, all these years later and coming to it after the fact?
    How come you know more about him than I do? Anyway I really focused on the movies. They were the Sunday afternoon thing to do, and with catchy tunes. I saw Girl Happy recently (or at least tried to watch it), and I didn't like it now because of the way women were treated, but growing up I liked the music.

I love to watch Viva Las Vegas! Now, there's a get-up-and-dance type of movie, eh? :)

I still love his voice, the before-the-cheeseburgers-and-drugs voice. Also, my understanding is he basically bought Priscilla from her parents. I definitely don't condone that type of parental attitude.

I was just weeks short of 9 years old when he died. I remember feeling confused.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Suspicious Minds. Gotta love Elvis.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
    I can remember Elvis dying. I was five.
    I was 12, and they broke in during "Star Trek" to deliver the news.......that didn't make me happy.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I like American Trilogy( A fella at home always sings it in the pub when he is pissed). I love one of his early recordings called "I want to be free".
  • tybird wrote:
    I was 12, and they broke in during "Star Trek" to deliver the news.......that didn't make me happy.

"The deceased was discovered in the process of apprehending cling-ons."
    "The deceased was discovered in the process of apprehending cling-ons."
    LMAO..............it's even funnier because it's true...........:D
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    ANything from the Sun Sessions is holy to me. That's about as pure and powerful as music gets. The man had soul coming out his ears. When he cuts loose on some of the songs like Mystery Train, Baby Let's Play House, Milk Cow Blues Boogie, its goosbump inducing. I've said it before, but everyone should check out the Sun Sessions. He had a voice on those records that came from both the bedroom and the graveyard. It was more "punk" than anything calling itself that on the Warped tour, more "country" than anything you'll hear on country radio these days, it had more soul in it than most stuff played on "urban" radio these days, and it was more goth than the Bauhaus (of which I am a fan).

Aside fromt he Sun Sessions, Hard Headed Woman is completely unhinged, fire breathing rock n' roll. I've been digging on that lately. Trouble is amazing in the way he digs in to the chorus. It leaves me shaking my head . . . wow . . .
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • good luck charm
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times