Options

Dandy Warhols - need advise please

MookieBlaylock5v1MookieBlaylock5v1 Posts: 353
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I've recently heard a couple tracks from the Dandy Warhols, and I'm really digging it. I'm interested in getting some more of their music. Can anyone give me some advice on what albums I should pick up first?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I've recently heard a couple tracks from the Dandy Warhols, and I'm really digging it. I'm interested in getting some more of their music. Can anyone give me some advice on what albums I should pick up first?

their music is awesome. wherever you start you should be ok. Easiest would be Welcome to the Monkey House or 13 Tales of Urban Bohemia. If you see Come Down, buy it because it is hard to find.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • Options
    13 tales is my personal favorite...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    If you see Come Down, buy it because it is hard to find.

Really? I wouldn't imagine. I see it quite frequently at my local record stores, haven't bought it 'cause I'm not that high on the Dandy Warhols, but I'll take your advice and get it before it's too late.
    Welcome to the Monkey House is my pick, though I understand is quite different to the rest of their albums.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    hoonbeamhoonbeam Posts: 24
    Just my opinion:

Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia and then Welcome to the Monkey House.

"Odditorium" has some great tracks, and I appreciate their effort to expand their sound, but it seems as if they got bored and just finished it.

"Come Down" runs together like Weezer's Green Album.

Never heard "Dandy's Rule, O.K.?" or anything else they got floatin' around out there.

But they are a good band.
  • Options
    barcoach wrote:
    Really? I wouldn't imagine. I see it quite frequently at my local record stores, haven't bought it 'cause I'm not that high on the Dandy Warhols, but I'll take your advice and get it before it's too late.
    Welcome to the Monkey House is my pick, though I understand is quite different to the rest of their albums.

me and my buddy had to special order from one of our local stores. we can't find it anywhere.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • Options
    I'm on a Dandy Warhols kick, O.K.? I just wanted to bring this thread back to the top to see if anyone else wanted to discuss the Warhols. I'm getting more and more into Odditorium. All the Money or the Simple Life Honey, Smoke It, Easy, and Holding Me Up are my favorite tracks at the moment.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    13 tales is my personal favorite...

'tis mine as well.
    hard for me to go past an album that contains a song called 'godless'.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SarahCanadaSarahCanada Posts: 196
    Awesome band, a lot of integrety.

I went to one of their promo parties for Welcome to the Monkey House and they played acoustic numerous covers of Beatles and Stones songs.
    I went to the concert
    And I fought through the crowd
    Guess I got a little too excited
    When I thought you were around
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Awesome band, a lot of integrety.

They are from my hometown and pretty much everyone here hates them. They're pompous hipsters from what I've heard. Although Courtney Taylor-Taylor has a sweet old Cadillac.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Come Down is one of my favorite records ever though I feel they went downhill after that. Get Come Down and Dandy's Rule Ok.
  • Options
    O.K. I am getting into Come Down more and more. It still isn't as good as its successors imo.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    They're pompous hipsters from what I've heard.
    This is my understanding of them too. Courtney taylor or what ever his name is seems incredibly pretentious. I can guarantee he read on the road by kerouac once and just thought "I'll be a hipster". Their music seems ok.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Come Down is a good cd made by a bunch of arseholes, I never thought You'd be a Junkie, i remember the fuss the video caused over here in the UK coz it had people dressed up like heroin needles dancing to the song lol, happy days, made me go out and buy the cd.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    You may also want to check out DIG! It's a documentary about Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols...it's pretty interesting
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    13 tales is awesome.

I love "The Last High"
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12