Our Lady Peace

Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Yeah, great band. Unlike most, I enjoyed most of Healthy In Paranoid Times, I heard some of the podcasts about it, and I heard that they recorded some 40 odd songs, and were gonna use some of the ones that weren't included in another album.

Anyone know anything about the new album? When it will be released? Any guesses?
no matter where you go,
there you are.

- brain of c
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My understanding is that "A Decade" is a greatest hits compilation... I could be wrong.

I absolutely love OLP - I loved Paranoid Times - wasn't so hip to Gravity - but overall a good band... one of my faves.
  • Healthy in paranoid times was a very well written album, but it did seem like they were trying to appeal to the Coldplay audience a bit. While I like the softer side to the band, I also appreciate the harder rocking stuff just as much so it was a bit of a let down in that respect. But it is way better than a lot of people give it credit for.

I'm dying to see OLP live, but they seem about as keen on touring England as Pearl Jam are ;)
  • wow i must really be out of it. i got their autographs in Boston years ago and had no idea they were still on the scene
    9/26/96, 9/15/98, 8/29/00, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 7/23/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV
    Boston 1
  • I heard there is a new single or something called 'Kiss on the mouth' havent heard it though.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • hmmm maybe my son is right...maybe i do need to listen to the radio once in a while LOL
    9/26/96, 9/15/98, 8/29/00, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 7/23/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV
    Boston 1
  • MORE INFO - TWO new songs!

Our Lady Peace release a decade worth of hits
    TORONTO, Sept. 19 /CNW/ - Canada's own Our Lady Peace will release a
    collection of their hit singles entitled, A Decade on November 21, 2006. Our
    Lady Peace have had more No. 1 Rock Singles than any other Canadian artist and
    A Decade contains each of these hits plus two new songs entitled, "Kiss On The
    Mouth" and "Better Than Here."
    This collection will also include the Top 10 tracks: "Where Are You,"
    "Clumsy," "In Repair," "Somewhere Out There," "Innocent," "Thief," "Naveed,"
    "Starseed" and every OLP fan's favourite - "4AM." Our Lady Peace are renowned
    for their live performance, along with their radio hits, A Decade will also
    include bonus DVD containing live concert footage and exclusive interviews
    with the band.
    "The last 10 years for Our Lady Peace have been bedlam. A Decade is a way
    to document this whirlwind as well as open a new chapter for OLP," explains
    lead singer Raine Maida.
    Our Lady Peace have sold over 4 million albums in North America and have
    had six albums debut in the Top 5 on Canadian Soundscan charts. Of the group's
    previous studio albums, Gravity and Spiritual Machines are Double Platinum,
    Happiness... Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch is Triple Platinum, Clumsy
    received a Diamond Certification in Canada and the band's first Live DVD
    released in 2003 went Double Platinum. Released in late 2005, Healthy In
    Paranoid Times has surpassed Platinum Certification in Canada. Our Lady Peace
    has won 4 Juno Awards and received 20 nominations over their career. The band
    has won 6 MuchMusic Awards including the "People's Choice Award" in 1997, 1998
    and 2000. Our Lady Peace were also the founders of the Summersault Festival
    that toured across the country with a lineup that included the Foo Fighters, A
    Perfect Circle and The Smashing Pumpkins."
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I loved Naveed when it came out.. Clumsy was ok.. everything after that I pretty much hated more and more as each new album came out...
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    bharQ wrote:
    I loved Naveed when it came out.. Clumsy was ok.. everything after that I pretty much hated more and more as each new album came out...

I pretty much agree with this, seems like they get more watered down with each album, aside from Happiness which is slightly better than Clumsy (no where near Naveed though). Gravity was the last one I brought, awful album. They have completely lost there identity and just become another interchangable radiofriendly alt rock act.

Disapointing career after the brilliance of 'Naveed'.
    yup and i bet a lot of these people that like their new albums haven't even heard Naveed
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Of course I've heard and own Naveed - it's an amazing album and that's a silly thing to say...

There's nothing wrong with bands changing... would I love a "grittier" album? Sure, but there is nothing wrong with their new(er) album HIPT - some great songs on that disc... Angels Losing Sleep, Love and Trust, etc... Gravity is weak, but I've been happy with everything - particularly Spiritual Machines - that might be my favorite...
  • Some people don't like bands beyond their first album. They forget that music is an artform with many shade, colours, landscapes and emotions. Any artist worth their weight isn't going to want to keep putting out the same album continuously, unless their Nickelback. Music fans need to respect a band's need to grow.

May personal favourite OLP album is Clumsy but I enjoy the other material that they release. Not every OLP album has been great in my opinion but I appreciate the fact that they want to try different things and want to grow as artists.
  • The name Our Lady Peace actually comes from a poem written by Mark Van Doren.
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • m0jorisen wrote:
    The name Our Lady Peace actually comes from a poem written by Mark Van Doren.

An excellent poem:

How far is it to peace, the piper sighed,
    The solitary, sweating as he paused.
    Asphalt the noon; the ravens, terrified,
    Fled carrion thunder that percussion caused.

The envelope of earth was powder loud;
    The taut wings shivered, driven at the sun.
    The piper put his pipe away and bowed.
    Not here, he said. I hunt the love-cool one,

The dancer with the clipped hair. Where is she?
    We shook our heads, parting for him to pass.
    Our lady was of no such trim degree,
    And none of us had seen her face, alas.

She was the very ridges that we must scale,
    Securing the rough top. And how she smiled
    Was how our strength would issue. Not to fail
    Was having her, gigantic, undefiled,

For homely goddess, big as the world that burned,
    Grandmother and taskmistress, frild and town.
    We let the stranger go; but when we turned
    Our lady lived, fierce in each other's frown.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    funkymonk wrote:
    but I appreciate the fact that they want to try different things and want to grow as artists.

I don't think they have grown, I think they are in decline and there music is just by the numbers now. Now I've not heard the latest offering but the reviews suggest there is nothing on it to match The Birdman, Hope & Naveed. And even though they have regrest to just albums full of simular sounding radiofriendly fodder they still haven't bettered 'Julia' for a catchy song.
    lol well i see theres a lot of OLP fans in here.. it's not that I am against bands growing.. otherwise you think i'd be hangin in the PJ forums and still listening to pearl jam religiously?!? haha I just think the direction they went in was much in favour of the radio and not neccesarily branching off from the great sound they had on the first album... ESPECIALLY raine.. i think his voice worked amazingly well with the harder stuff and he just sounds whiney on all the new stuff...
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I loved Naveed when it first came out. I thought that Clumsy and Happiness.. were a step back but I've really gotten into their last three albums. I agree that the later albums haven't matched the intensity of Naveed but I don't know if its so easy to catch the spark of that first album. OLP is definitely my favorite band other than Pearl Jam and I'm glad hear that there are other fans of both bands out there.
    4/10/94 (Boston), 10/2/96 (Hartford), 8/22/98 (Toronto), 9/13/98 (Hartford), 9/15/98 (Mansfield), 9/16/98 (Mansfield), 8/29/00 (Mansfield), 8/30/00 (Mansfield), 7/2/03 (Mansfield), 7/11/03 (Mansfield), 9/28/04 (Boston), 5/13/06 (Hartford), 5/24/06 (Boston), 5/25/06 (Boston)
  • one of my top five favorite bands.. love them :)
  • ain't that huge over here, but still hasn't stopped me buying all their albums... Naveed really is amazing. Can't find Healthy In Paranoid Times though, is that their latest one?
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • outspaced wrote:
    ain't that huge over here, but still hasn't stopped me buying all their albums... Naveed really is amazing. Can't find Healthy In Paranoid Times though, is that their latest one?

Yeah that is their lastest one, you can get it from amazon, here's a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthy-Paranoid-Times-Lady-Peace/dp/B000CMNJEA/ref=sr_11_1/202-4034063-2092622?ie=UTF8

looks like you can get it pretty cheap from amazon market place. Like I said before, it's a good album, but not necessarily what you might expect or hope for from OLP.
  • You can hear new song 'Kiss on the mouth' on their myspace page, and yes it rocks harder than anything they've done in a long time!!!

http://www.myspace.com/ourladypeace
  • Yeah that is their lastest one, you can get it from amazon, here's a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthy-Paranoid-Times-Lady-Peace/dp/B000CMNJEA/ref=sr_11_1/202-4034063-2092622?ie=UTF8

nice one man, thanks for that
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • Fuck Bob Rock
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • I have to agree with some of the others on here, I remember seeing the video for 'Starseed' and really loving it, getting the album, and loving the whole thing. I also remember getting Clumsy and loving the whole thing too. Then, Happiness.....sounded very similar to Clumsy...Spiritual Machines had a few good tunes on it, Gravity was TERRIBLE, so much so that I just gave up on them at that point, It would take a lot of convincing to turn me back onto OLP at this point, I just think that after the success of '4am', they just turned on autopilot and continually made weepy, whiney songs (I like 4am, but not its' 30 clones). So, I would not be against re-joining the fold with OLP, but they would really have to prove that they've got their balls back before I purchase another one of their albums
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
  • I have to agree with some of the others on here, I remember seeing the video for 'Starseed' and really loving it, getting the album, and loving the whole thing. I also remember getting Clumsy and loving the whole thing too. Then, Happiness.....sounded very similar to Clumsy...Spiritual Machines had a few good tunes on it, Gravity was TERRIBLE, so much so that I just gave up on them at that point, It would take a lot of convincing to turn me back onto OLP at this point, I just think that after the success of '4am', they just turned on autopilot and continually made weepy, whiney songs (I like 4am, but not its' 30 clones). So, I would not be against re-joining the fold with OLP, but they would really have to prove that they've got their balls back before I purchase another one of their albums

Ah - but Gravity has one of their best "balls" songs = NOT ENOUGH...

There's some very good stuff on HIPT - some softer stuff but some good rock songs, too....

Kiss on the Mouth does sound like older OLP stuff...
  • everything up to spiritual machines is fucking solid. Happiness and machines i think are two of the best records. From start to finish.

now gravity...meh, fine its a pop album, i cant help but love a couple of the songs. paraonid....eh, what a waste.

bob rock is an idiot
  • p.s that new song sucks even worse than anything on the last record.

fuck, come on OLP what the fuck are you doing?

whats this straight ahead rock shit? Not one bit interesting anymore.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    everything up to spiritual machines is fucking solid. Happiness and machines i think are two of the best records. From start to finish.

now gravity...meh, fine its a pop album, i cant help but love a couple of the songs. paraonid....eh, what a waste.

bob rock is an idiot

In my opinion you can't really put the blame on Bob Rock. OLP writes all the songs afterall. Bob Rock just records 'em.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    In my opinion you can't really put the blame on Bob Rock. OLP writes all the songs afterall. Bob Rock just records 'em.

True. Im sure bob rock is in there pushing them towards certain directions though.

oh well, 4-5 solid albums worth of material to enjoy.
  • Naveed is still one my favorite albums. Not a huge fan of all the stuff after Clumsy though and some of it just sucks balls imo. From what I've seen Raine's voice is shit live too.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • True. Im sure bob rock is in there pushing them towards certain directions though.

oh well, 4-5 solid albums worth of material to enjoy.

check your pms

I actually saw olp in philly one time and they were great. Very energetic, I havent heard anything new, but I think their first 2 albums were good.

Bob Rock is a horrible producer, he pushes bands way too much, and he ruins them.

Off topic he produced that piece of crap metalica album ST.ANGER, that pushed the band into the coffin.

Probably one of the worst produced albums ever
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows