Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

edited October 2007 in Other Music
Hey all.

I'm seeing Kings of Leon in September and BRMC is opening for them. I really want to know some of their music before I see them but I don't know where to start.

Any suggestions for a first album to check out?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    BRMC and Howl are their best albums and are polar opposites. BRMC sounds like the bastard child of Hawkwind and the Stooges; lots of echo and overdriven guitars. Howl is more acoustic and bluesy, but the songwriting is top notch.

Since they are opening though, I would imagine the bulk of their set will come from their most recent album, Baby 81.

If you get into them, they are a band with tons of quality b-sides/non-album tracks that are worth checking out. Screaming Gun, High/Low, and the entire Howl Sessions EP are must haves.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I love both the first album and Howl but I do have a certain preference of Howl. It's not exactly the best example of BRMC, but it's their strongest album. Baby 81 is also quite strong and very accessible.

I'll be seeing them with KOL as well near philly. I've seen both of them live before and they're both great, should be an awesome show.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    there was a huge thread on this already, or at least a discussion about BRMC ... because I think I was in the minority by stating I don't like Howl and I'm totally pleased with Baby 81 and the return to the harder tunes.

Some people have taken to calling them "Black Rebel Mary Chain", a quip pointing out that they do have moments where they sound like the JAMC.

I'm hoping their live perfomance has picked up, I've seen them twice and they were poor once and just plain disasterous at Coachella (technical issues forcing a really early end to their set).

On a related note ... if anyone has extra tickets to the KOL/BRMC Warfield show on September 4th in SFO ... *please* pm me!!!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'll be seeing them soon, looking forward to it. They are playing a free show down in San Diego on the 25th along with the Flaming Lips. Can't go wrong there.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    WOOHOO!!!! after several years of waiting for these guys to come back to oz i am beyond thrilled that they'll be out here for the falls festy over new years.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    These guys were awesome opening up for KOL in Providence. Totally stole the show. I wasn't all that into Baby 81 before the show, but it came off great in the live setting. I don't know what it is about them, but they just ooze coolness on stage.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    ive seen them before and its REALLY good...even if you dont like the albums much (which i didnt) the live set is brilliant! definitely a treat as an opener.
  • hbrownehbrowne Posts: 57
    Hey all.

I'm seeing Kings of Leon in September and BRMC is opening for them. I really want to know some of their music before I see them but I don't know where to start.

Hesitant to pimp myself but I recently got a chance to sit down with the guys from BRMC for an interview and I was very deeply impressed by their commitment to and passion for their music:

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2007/09/one-more-for-soulmate-dreamers-black.html

I also got to see them live that night and they were indeed fantastic. I like both Howl (a lot) and their other, rockier stuff.

Heather
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    hbrowne wrote:
    Hesitant to pimp myself but I recently got a chance to sit down with the guys from BRMC for an interview and I was very deeply impressed by their commitment to and passion for their music:

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2007/09/one-more-for-soulmate-dreamers-black.html

I also got to see them live that night and they were indeed fantastic. I like both Howl (a lot) and their other, rockier stuff.

Heather

How could you not ask them about pearl jam? Did the interviewer in your silenced the fan in you? :eek:

How did you get the time slot?

Nice work, by the way :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Take Them On, On Your Own is their best album IMO....great riffs, the songs get repetitive but they are still kick ass.
  • hbrownehbrowne Posts: 57
    meme wrote:
    How could you not ask them about pearl jam? Did the interviewer in your silenced the fan in you? :eek:

How did you get the time slot?

Nice work, by the way :)

Why thank you. Did I miss something obvious? What about PJ would I ask them?

I got the time slot through the festival coordinators....I was one of the official online "sponsors," for whatever it's worth.

:)
    Heather
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Coming from a huge fan.........Baby 81 would be your best bet, its like a mix of all of their albums in one. One of my favorite albums of this decade, they are amazing live as well.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Hey all.

As a primer to enjoy the hell out of their set when you see them, "Baby 81" is where to start. Like previously stated, it's very accessible at first listen; I honestly don't think there's a bad or filler track on the album. "American X" on the album and live is just ridiculously good...and it's almost 10 minutes long!

"Howl" may require repeated listening but that's only because it's a quite the shift in style (it's heavier on the blues, darker), but it's no less worthy.

Kings of Leon made a great choice in picking BRMC. If you like your rock with soul and atmosphere, you'll like BRMC.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    hbrowne wrote:
    Why thank you. Did I miss something obvious? What about PJ would I ask them?

I got the time slot through the festival coordinators....I was one of the official online "sponsors," for whatever it's worth.

:)
    Heather

Why something completely out of the blue like... do you guys like them? Aren't they awesome? Ahah... I am so curious to know what they think of each other.

Oh, and to reply to the original post... Baby 81 is a great start. BRMC next, then Take them on, then Howl. That's also my ranking from favorite to least favorite.

I've seen them three times live. The quality of their sound is awfully uneven. I think they would be much better off turning the volume down a little. Does Robert's dad still do their sound? Perhaps he should go back to playing in his band :p
    meme wrote:
    Why something completely out of the blue like... do you guys like them? Aren't they awesome? Ahah... I am so curious to know what they think of each other.

Oh, and to reply to the original post... Baby 81 is a great start. BRMC next, then Take them on, then Howl. That's also my ranking from favorite to least favorite.

I've seen them three times live. The quality of their sound is awfully uneven. I think they would be much better off turning the volume down a little. Does Robert's dad still do their sound? Perhaps he should go back to playing in his band :p

The sound was a bit off when I saw them a few weeks ago too, they had the guitar and Roberts mic too low. Before that though, the sound was perfect......must have just been the venue or something. Still such an awesome band though.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I think baby 81 is their best album. There shall be fight between baby 81, because of the times and new foo fighters album for the album of the year.
    ??!
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I'm going to see them for the 3rd time this year in November!
    ...and they'll still be in Europe when KOL hits London, I hope they're the opening band there too..will make for a really cool evening :)
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I'm seeing them in November. Any idea what songs they play? I've got all their albums but I'm not exactly a die hard fan.
    muppet wrote:
    I'm seeing them in November. Any idea what songs they play? I've got all their albums but I'm not exactly a die hard fan.

Off the top of my head... took out a loan, berlin, need some air, love burns, all you do is talk...
    muppet wrote:
    If you're seeing them as an opening act like I have 3 times, their set will probably go something like this:

Took Out A Loan
    Berlin
    Weapon of Choice
    Ain't No Easy Way
    Promise
    Restless Sinner
    666 Conducer
    Need Some Air
    American X

I'm looking forward them as headliners.

FaceSpace
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    that'll be a great show im sure... i haven't seen BMRC yet but i really like em
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    dharma69 wrote:
    If you're seeing them as an opening act like I have 3 times, their set will probably go something like this:

Took Out A Loan
    Berlin
    Weapon of Choice
    Ain't No Easy Way
    Promise
    Restless Sinner
    666 Conducer
    Need Some Air
    American X

I'm looking forward them as headliners.

saw them yesterday at the Download Festival ... many of the above were played ... add Love Burns, Stop, and What Ever Happened to My Rock 'n Roll.

Need Some Air was the highlight for me .... killer.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    saw them yesterday at the Download Festival ... many of the above were played ... add Love Burns, Stop, and What Ever Happened to My Rock 'n Roll.

Need Some Air was the highlight for me .... killer.
    And that's exactly what I want...a fuller set on their own time! Throw in "Killing The Light" and it's a great day!

FaceSpace
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    going tonight to the Roundhouse to see them for the 3rd time this year.

anyone else going?
  • I've just seen them yesterday in Munich, and OH MY! they were fucking amazing?! I didn't expect to get blown away like that. They played for what seemed like ages, all the songs that I longed to hear (except for Red Eyes And Tears that is). That gig was so...intense. I couldn't believe my ears when we were going outside and that girl was like "Yeah they were quite good, but the encore was so loong. It was so boring then." ... ?!?!?!
    If I wasn't going to Vienna tomorrow I'd pack my stuff and go to Milan to see them again :o:D

I've also taken a few pictures, in case anyone's interested: http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/esoterischefische/BRMCmunichnov07/l
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
    I've just seen them yesterday in Munich, and OH MY! they were fucking amazing?! I didn't expect to get blown away like that. They played for what seemed like ages, all the songs that I longed to hear (except for Red Eyes And Tears that is). That gig was so...intense. I couldn't believe my ears when we were going outside and that girl was like "Yeah they were quite good, but the encore was so loong. It was so boring then." ... ?!?!?!
    If I wasn't going to Vienna tomorrow I'd pack my stuff and go to Milan to see them again :o:D

I've also taken a few pictures, in case anyone's interested: http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/esoterischefische/BRMCmunichnov07/l

Seen them live multiple times this last year and they blew me away everytime. They even played for 2 and half hours when they were sick the last time I saw them. The best band around right now in my opinion.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006