Matchbox Twenty to release Grestest Hits

illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
edited April 2008 in Other Music
no... they did not break up

matchbox twenty Breaks From 'Exile' With New Tunes

After a long hiatus to allow frontman Rob Thomas to release his first solo album, "Something To Be," the members of matchbox twenty have completed a month's worth of sessions in Los Angeles to record new songs for an upcoming retrospective.

Thomas tells Billboard.com that "Exile on Mainstream," due Oct. 2 via Atlantic, could include as many as six new cuts produced by Steve Lillywhite, plus 11 prior hits. Among the new tunes are the upbeat first single "How Far We've Come," "I'll Believe You When..." ("It's like our Pretenders song," he says of the latter), the '50s-leaning "Can't Let You Go" and "These Hard Times."

"This is different than any record we've made, and different than my solo record," says Thomas, who had never collaborated on the songwriting with his bandmates. "We got together for a week at my house and we all had song ideas, but they didn't sound like what we wanted to play together. Between that vibe and working with Steve, it's a much more raw, energetic, live-sounding record than we've done in the past."

In another twist, Paul Doucette, who had previously been the band's drummer, is now playing rhythm guitar as a replacement for Adam Gaynor, who left matchbox in 2005. "Over the last two or three years, he started playing more guitar and keyboard," Thomas says. "One day, he just said, listen, I'd rather not play drums anymore. He's actually a better guitar player than our old guitar player was."

Thomas, who just launched a new record label with Epic and released a documentary about the experience of recording solo, says matchbox twenty will return to the road beginning in January. "We'll do some one-offs before then, like TV shows," he reports. "We're also playing an Andre Agassi charity event in Las Vegas."

Next summer, Thomas will begin work on his second solo disc, and says he hopes matchbox will be back in the studio in 2009 to record a new album.

"How Far We've Come" is already being played in the States...

can't wait for October 2nd... :D am i the only one? :o

*edit* Grestest, Greatest, same thing :eek: :o
wah
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446

can't wait for October 2nd... am i the only one?

*edit* Grestest, Greatest, same thing :eek: :o

Nah, you're not the only one girl! :)

Roll on October 2! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I was wondering what happened to them. I'm not really a fan, but they were huge and then Thomas did his solo thing , and I know I hear his songs all over the place, so I would think that a new album from them would do quite well, sales-wise. The guys seems to be a hit machine.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    how many albums did these guys put out?
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    this is one of my "closet bands"...

great when you going through a break-up i must admit>>
    but heck, what's not to admire about "bright lights"...
    that song is amazing>>
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    locked wrote:
    that song is amazing

absolutely love that song... longer guitar solo live is sweet. Thomas said sometime ago it was his homage to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road...

Jeanie - Feb. they may be here touring - yay :D

DCGARDEN - uh huh, and re. solo work... yeh didn't mind it but it WAS all over the place, brave for him to experiment... :)

Hartydog - 3 albums...

locked - mine too :o well not really closet :p but they ARE a great tight LIVE act, i love 'em live over studio, and maybe they do have some really radio-friendly songs... but the B-sides are so different haha :)
    wah
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    should be a nice ep.......
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    brain of c wrote:
    should be a nice ep.......

ha ha ha

Doesn't an EP have to be at least four songs though? :p
    NERDS!
    so... this baby is gonna have 2 discs... :)

shock horror :p
    wah
    http://www.myspace.com/matchboxtwenty

thought on new song...? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    wah
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    http://www.myspace.com/matchboxtwenty

thought on new song...? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm quite liking it, it has a Springsteen-esque quality to it - well I think it has anyway!
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    we saw mb20 and everclear at the patriot center, maybe in 2001?
    he's got a nice bod. that's back when he had hair, i hate his lack of hair.
    he played the piano for us :) ugh, but he smokes on stage, shame on him.
    I liked mb20 but I did not like his solo stuff...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    God dammit. I thought they were gone forever.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Don't really have any of their stuff, but now seems like a good time to check them out more.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    locked wrote:
    this is one of my "closet bands"...

great when you going through a break-up i must admit>>
    that song is amazing>>

Yes, I totally agree. They certainly helped me during my two year "insane" time after my divorce. Saw them in concert with Train 2001-right before I was slapped right back into reality!

yes, bright lights quite amazing
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
    iluvcats wrote:
    we saw mb20 and everclear at the patriot center, maybe in 2001?
    he's got a nice bod. that's back when he had hair, i hate his lack of hair.
    he played the piano for us :) ugh, but he smokes on stage, shame on him.
    I liked mb20 but I did not like his solo stuff...

bahahaha ditto to all of the above (except seeing them at the patriot center)
    wah
    Don't really have any of their stuff, but now seems like a good time to check them out more.

YUP

the 'new' album will be 12 old songs on 1 cd, and 6 new song on a 2nd one...
    wah
  • yenneyenne Posts: 1
    ....yeah -- I thought I'd pipe in and say that people are getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..... and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- it's pretty easy to find, just put 'euro club hits' into itunes or check this link:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol+