Options

John Frusciante's Solo Stuff

LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
edited April 2006 in Other Music
So ive been looking around at some Frusciante stuff since im in Peppers mode lately and hes got like 10 ish albums. Does anybody have some reccomendations for me on which album is good to start out with?
I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    To Record Only Water for Ten Days
  • Options
    soundgrungersoundgrunger Posts: 218
    i really like 'shadows collide with people' and 'the will to death' but they're all unique and each record has it's own sound :)

let us know what you think about them! :D
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    The only one not to get is his first one...it's very disturbing...

Everything else is worth getting...start with "Shadows Collide With People"
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Are you kidding? Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T Shirt (his first) is his best album by far.
  • Options
    the first album was written amidst addiction and to his own admission, 'solely for heroin money.' ive been meaning to look into his stuff for awhile now...im in a peppers mode lately as well

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    LedZepFan wrote:
    the first album was written amidst addiction and to his own admission, 'solely for heroin money.' ive been meaning to look into his stuff for awhile now...im in a peppers mode lately as well

no that was Smile from the Streets You Hold his second album, Niandra Ladees came about coz most of Johns buddies said there was no good music anymore and told him he should put out some solo music, and so he began.
    as someone else said though there is some quite disturbing stuff on Niandra Your Pussies Glued To A Building On Fire springs to mind.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I believe I have all of his solo albums so I'll give you my opinions

Niranda Ladies - ok, sometimes irritating, hard to get into after hearing his other stuff first

Smiles from the Street - has some good tracks on it

To Record Only Water for Ten Days - good mix of different songs

Shadows Collide With People - very produced, some weird instrumental songs with electronic stuff, solid songs, very dark lyrics

The Will to Death - quite opposite than Shadows in production, very organic sounding, probably my favourite and would get my first recommendation to anyone that buys it. Lyrics are phenomenal and haunting.

Ataxia (band) - EP, cool bass notes on the album

DC - EP, catchy songs, more uptempo then Will to Death

Inside of Emptiness - more rocky than the others but still solid

A Sphere in the Heart of Silence - odd, abstract, electronic-ish, different songs arrangements, experimental

Curtains - back to the goods and my third favourite, acoustic, organic, haunting lyrics.

I highly recommend
    1 - Will To Death
    2 - Shadows Collide With People
    3 - Curtains
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Be sure to download his free stuff on his web page.

http://www.johnfrusciante.com/
    "Fuckin' hippies!"
  • Options
    Curtains always does it for me.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • Options
    I'm a fan of Shadows Collide with People. The songs "Second Walk" and "Omission" are fantastic.
  • Options
    julischjulisch Posts: 34
    smarchee wrote:
    I believe I have all of his solo albums so I'll give you my opinions

Niranda Ladies - ok, sometimes irritating, hard to get into after hearing his other stuff first

Smiles from the Street - has some good tracks on it

To Record Only Water for Ten Days - good mix of different songs

Shadows Collide With People - very produced, some weird instrumental songs with electronic stuff, solid songs, very dark lyrics

The Will to Death - quite opposite than Shadows in production, very organic sounding, probably my favourite and would get my first recommendation to anyone that buys it. Lyrics are phenomenal and haunting.

Ataxia (band) - EP, cool bass notes on the album

DC - EP, catchy songs, more uptempo then Will to Death

Inside of Emptiness - more rocky than the others but still solid

A Sphere in the Heart of Silence - odd, abstract, electronic-ish, different songs arrangements, experimental

Curtains - back to the goods and my third favourite, acoustic, organic, haunting lyrics.

I highly recommend
    1 - Will To Death
    2 - Shadows Collide With People
    3 - Curtains

i also own everything by him
    my recommendation is:
    1. niandra lades
    2. to record only water...
    3. shadows
    4. ataxia
    5. smile
    + check out the brown bunny soundtrack, he has 5 beautiful songs on it!
    -
    "And I listen for the voice inside my head. Nothing. I'll do this one myself."
  • Options
    wow this got revived from a REAL long time ago

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    LedZepFan wrote:
    wow this got revived from a REAL long time ago

did you get any of his albums ledzepfan? what do you think of them? i need to get into his music as well.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • Options
    i picked up Will to Death so far. I like it, but his vocals take some getting used to

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Listen to Wednesday's Song. ;)
  • Options
    im a big fan of john frusciantes solo stuff. i dunno what i can say other than each album seems completely different than the one before it. i seem to change my favourate album just with whatever mood i am in but my favourate is usually niandra les das as well its just a great album. you have to get over the fact that he was on his decent into a drug problem but i think that adds to the effect of the album. if you want an easy album to get into will do death is great.

best frusciante song is probably scratches. really cool and catchy. just go out and buy every album is probably the best idea. lol
  • Options
    ClaySmockClaySmock Posts: 18
    I just got through posting in the RHCP haters posts, defending them b/c they introduced the world to JF... by far one of the best musicians ever... but most people don't have the depth of music appreciation to understand why... You really have to have an open musical mind to understand the style he has... but most importantly following his musical development from first CD to last helps understand him... The first time i heard "N.L.U.J.T-shirt"... I was put into another place, listening to it changed my perception of creativity and the boundaries of music... It seems everyone who can't listen to or like john frusciante especially his early stuff, lack an independent perspective... it seems like if it they would have seen an early basquiat, picasso, or van gogh they would have rejected it as art much like the way people dismiss JF's work... But whatever I like the filtering tendencies his music has, it keeps away the bandwagoners associated with RHCP and other pop culture fuck-ups... It usually means when i meet a JF fan, I meet someone interesting, artistic and open minded...Its to bad i can't say that for a lot Pearl Jam fans, the ones that only sing along to Alive or jeremy...
    Do I eat them?.. raw or well done?...Do I trick them...? I don't think they're dumb...
  • Options
    ClaySmockClaySmock Posts: 18
    LedZepFan wrote:
    So ive been looking around at some Frusciante stuff since im in Peppers mode lately and hes got like 10 ish albums. Does anybody have some reccomendations for me on which album is good to start out with?

I just got through posting in the RHCP haters posts, defending them b/c they introduced the world to JF... by far one of the best musicians ever... but most people don't have the depth of music appreciation to understand why... You really have to have an open musical mind to understand the style he has... but most importantly following his musical development from first CD to last helps understand him... The first time i heard "N.L.U.J.T-shirt"... I was put into another place, listening to it changed my perception of creativity and the boundaries of music... It seems everyone who can't listen to or like john frusciante especially his early stuff, lack an independent perspective... it seems like if it they would have seen an early basquiat, picasso, or van gogh they would have rejected it as art much like the way people dismiss JF's work... But whatever I like the filtering tendencies his music has, it keeps away the bandwagoners associated with RHCP and other pop culture fuck-ups... It usually means when i meet a JF fan, I meet someone interesting, artistic and open minded...Its to bad i can't say that for a lot Pearl Jam fans, the ones that only sing along to Alive or jeremy...
    Do I eat them?.. raw or well done?...Do I trick them...? I don't think they're dumb...
  • Options
    pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    smarchee wrote:

On the downloads on his website is an unproduced version of Shadows Collide. It's very interesting to hear the concept of the songs and see how they arrived at the produced version.

Shadows Collide is definitely my favourite of his solo albums. Wednesday's Song and Song to Sing When I'm Lonely are awesome songs. The filler bits are a bit weird and difficult to get used to though.
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...