Covers on albums

LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Yes? No? What do you guys think of artists putting covers on their albums? I mean, some very legendary songs have been studio covers (Eric Clapton's "Cocaine", Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" and "Babe Im Gonna Leave You") but there's something that's just a little disappointing about it to me.
I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    I'm all for it, as long as it's only 1 cover in the whole album. I've heard some pretty interesting covers, so yeah, it's cool with me.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I'm not a big fan, I feel like those should be destined to be b-sides. I did however read that John Mayer is covering Hendrix "Bold as Love" on his new Continuum album...that could be interesting to say the least
  • I know I'm wrong here, but I just can't help feeling it shows a lack in creativity. You know, as if the band couldn't come up with enough good quality songs to go on an album. I mean theres only about 12 songs on an album, in the two years between albums a band should be able to write enough songs.

So I'm always disappointed with covers on an album. I dont' mind them so much in concert as long as they only play one or two.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    A couple of early Van Halen albums had "coveritis".......especially "Diver Down." I was glad when they got a real song writer in the band, Sammy Hagar.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Some good covers on albums:

Van Halen: You Really Got Me
    R. Stones: Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Just My Imagination, Carol, Love in Vain, Little Queenie, You Gotta Move, NOt Fade Away
    Black Crowes: Hard to Handle
    Otis Redding: Satisfaction
    Jimi: All Along the Watchtower
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • The Black Crowes - Time Will Tell
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I like covers on albums as long as they bring something new and interesting to the song.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I'm totally in the opion of covers shouldn't be on albums and I loath it when a band releases a cover as their lead single. But at a concert let it rip, play as many as they want, that's what they're meant for.
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    tybird wrote:
    A couple of early Van Halen albums had "coveritis".......especially "Diver Down." I was glad when they got a real song writer in the band, Sammy Hagar.

Real song writer Sammy Hagar??? ha!
    If you look into the reason behind a lot of their covers you will see that they did not have a choice. The label made them make the covers and put them on the albums.
    I liked Sammy a lot, but Dave owns him.
    Real song writer Sammy Hagar??? ha!
    If you look into the reason behind a lot of their covers you will see that they did not have a choice. The label made them make the covers and put them on the albums.
    I liked Sammy a lot, but Dave owns him.
    Having paid good money as a young lad working a minimum wage job to see a drunk DLR half-heart it through a gig on the Diver Down tour(incomplete songs probably out-numbered completed ones), my respect for him is pretty low..........a year later, I got my money's worth from ZZ Top's opening act on the first leg of their Eliminator tour, some guy named Sammy Hagar. :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    tybird wrote:
    Having paid good money as a young lad working a minimum wage job to see a drunk DLR half-heart it through a gig on the Diver Down tour(incomplete songs probably out-numbered completed ones), my respect for him is pretty low..........a year later, I got my money's worth from ZZ Top's opening act on the first leg of their Eliminator tour, some guy named Sammy Hagar. :)

Was there any other way to see Dave on tour? Now if you would have spent your money on the teen magazines you would have known what to expect at a VH concert. Silly ty! :D
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    Was there any other way to see Dave on tour? Now if you would have spent your money on the teen magazines you would have known what to expect at a VH concert. Silly ty! :D
    Yes, I spent my teen magazine money on comic books...........:D
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Bring something new to the song, or cover a song I will have never heard. An obscure song or from another genre works for me.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    covers should be played live and thats it. if its on an album that means the band didn't have enough of their own stuff to put on the album.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
    How about The Animals' version of House of the Rising Sun?
    "Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I'm okay with it when done well. Here are a few of my favorite covers on albums that haven't been mentioned yet.

Neil Young - Oh Lonesome Me
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me The Breeze
    Neil Young - Four Strong Winds
    Voivod - Batman theme
    Voivod - Astronomy Domine
    Voivod - The Nile Song
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com