Options

Mad Season

LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I got Above a long time ago and I just got around to listening to it tonight. I'm blown away, what a hidden gem of the grunge era. If anyone's thinking about this or you haven't heard of it, it was a side project involving Layne Staley of Alice in Chains and our man McCready. Some amazing songs, some great guitar work courtesy of Mike as well.

Reccomended songs: WAKE UP, Im Above, Long Gone Day...check em out!
I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Omg I Love Mad Season!!! They Fucking Own!!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    they also covered 'i don't wanna be a soldier' on the john lennon tribute album
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    In the last 10c Newsletter the 10c said they are working on releasing the Mad Season Live at The Moore Theater concert on DVD. Oh yeah man....I fucking dig on Mad Season.....Above is amazing as was the Moore Theater show. I hope the 10c can get it released to the masses.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    In the last 10c Newsletter the 10c said they are working on releasing the Mad Season Live at The Moore Theater concert on DVD. Oh yeah man....I fucking dig on Mad Season.....Above is amazing as was the Moore Theater show. I hope the 10c can get it released to the masses.
    Wow, that would be amazing. I never even knew they did any live performances. Always thought it was just a studio thing. Don't know why. A DVD would be great!
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    El_Kabong wrote:
    they also covered 'i don't wanna be a soldier' on the john lennon tribute album
    very good cover i must say
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    i was hooked on above for ages, still am, its a brilliant album

i got this like 50 minute video fo them playing in the moore theater in seattle
  • Options
    Unique in so many ways!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    I love Mad Season!!! Like someone else mentioned, they are unique! I love their sound and the CD kicks ass!!!!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    LedZepFan wrote:
    I got Above a long time ago and I just got around to listening to it tonight. I'm blown away, what a hidden gem of the grunge era. If anyone's thinking about this or you haven't heard of it, it was a side project involving Layne Staley of Alice in Chains and our man McCready. Some amazing songs, some great guitar work courtesy of Mike as well.

its good but alot of filler in there (artificial red)
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    LedZepFan wrote:

Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    The only tracks I'd consider true 'filler' are the last two.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    A Masterpiece !!!!
  • Options
    Brillant album, all the songs are top class. I also have the Moore Theater performance and it's great to see such fine men in action.

RIP Layne A man much missed.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    ...And I can't leave it alone. I was never much of a huge Alice In Chains fan but I was always aware and still listened to some of their stuff. I can't believe this has been out there and I finally find it in 2006. Oh, sure I knew about it but never listened to it.

WOW. All of it is so good.

Such a great sound - prominent bass, distinctive vocals, exquisite guitar, precise drumming. Individually and together this has got to be one of the greatest of the decade. I wonder how many others like me are out there - yet to discover or may never be exposed to that would otherwise embrace. Thank God I found this finally.

I was 30 in 1994 and went full-time into jazz in 1995. I missed out on a lot of rock, but I did educate myself on jazz for the next 6 years. Well, I am back in the rock scene (older now but seasoned) - thanks PJ.

And the two deaths just bring it all the more poignant. Heroin - a real sign of the times. It just came to a head tonight and I had to share and extoll my thoughts and opinion. Thanks for the stage for a moment.

What else am I missing?
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Hmm... could never really get into this one too much. I guess I should listen to it more.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,116
    I bought Above about a week ago and absolutely love it. Great album and I can't believe I never got it until just recently.
  • Options
    PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    This album was and is still GREAT!! The instrumental (November Hotel, I think) has some of the coolest guitars Ive ever heard McCready do. Man, I love this cd, ...gotta go home and dust it off!!!
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Right on LedZepFan! Another MAD SEASON lover here as well. :o What a band! What a brilliant mix of...well, brilliance. :D I've actually been listening to them a whole lot lately and actually just watched Live at The Moore again night before last. :D

Personal obsessed favs include...

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING
    The song is SICK AS HELL! It's always stuck in my head. I LOVE IT! This monstrous riff OWNS!

RIVER OF DECEIT
    You just can't deny this stellar, super heartbreaking beauty . :o It always makes me tear up. How eery. :(

I'M ABOVE
    This song ROCKS! I absolutely loooooove thr progression of it, especially from the magical Layne's voice.

X-RAY MIND
    Holy shit! :eek: These drums? And is this guitar for real? *grinds the air* Woooooow! Looove this jam.

Oh no, ALL ALONE....another one that makes me cry. :(

This album is so bittersweet. Layne just always has the power to make you feel so much... singing from such a real, haunted, sad...relatable place. The lyrics in MAD SEASON stay true to this. Very fragile but also very empowering. The broken emotion behind every striking word....AIC and MAD SEASON alike...it's just beyond powerful...and yes, very heartbreaking. That's part of why I love it so much though. It's very intimate, very real. And honestly..this voice is lilke NOTHING else. No one can duplicate this. There are very few voices that are simply untouchable and Layne was definitely included in that few.

*sigh*
    Amazing musicanship all around in MAD SEASON. Also without a doubt some of the most badass guitar work the badass McCready has ever done. :D

The super duper extended jam of November Hotel on Live at The Moore continues to leave my jaw on the floor! :eek:

I love this band!
    RIP Layne A man much missed.

Yes. Much, Much missed. :(
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

Artifical Red is filler? You're nuts.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    X-RAY MIND
    Holy shit! :eek: These drums? And is this guitar for real? *grinds the air* Woooooow! Looove this jam.

God forbid Matt Cameron ever leaves PJ, I have always thought Barrett Martin could be the ideal replacement.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    where's the love for "Lifeless Dead"?!
    by far me fave track along with "I Don't Know Anything"
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    where's the love for "Lifeless Dead"?!

Ahhh!!! How could I forget?? *slaps self* Excellent call AxlUlrich. :D This is deeeefinitely another obsessed fav of mine as well. Another riff that just oozes with sickness. And when he hit's the "yeeeah heeeyeah" part?! :eek: Pleeeeease! *chills all over* One of the many/countless defining "holy shit this voice!!!" moments. :eek::o Mind blowing.

And yes
    I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING RULES !:D \m/

BinFrog, the man knows how to work these skins! That's for sure.

Seriously amazing musicanship all around. Being able to witness this brilliance on the Live at The Moore dvd is such a blessing. :o I'm just soooo damn grateful this band existed...even if it wasn't for as long as we all would have hoped.

Speaking of which...

My girl soundgrunger was telling me that apparently there's lots more material (minus the vocals)...songs that were being worked on for the next album but of course didn't get a chance to become anything. :( Mikey said something about maybe releasing these at some point?? :eek: I really gotta find out more about this!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    one of the most unique albums i've ever heard for sure.

it would've compared to Temple Of The Dog if the low points on it (i.e. artificial red and i don't know anything - the only two weak tracks) were better. TOTD NEVER falters. Spectacular all the way through.

my favorites are Wake Up, Long Gone Day, November Hotel (Mike fucking McCready is a god), river of deceit..... you know what, every song but the two i listed as weak (not bad, but weak compared to the rest).

One of the best things about it is that in all the soft clean guitars Layne's voice realllllllllllly sends chills down your spine... think Would? but un-masked.

For a little PIECE from god you plead

lines like that especially :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    YAY it's Pearl Jam and toast!
    :)

Beautifully said. Have I ever told you what excellent taste you have? ;)

Aww, you know what line really gets me? Well...one of the many anyways....

"Slow suicide's no way to go"

*sigh*
    :(

Definitely sends chills up and down and all around my spine. It hurts but then it's also so gorgeous and I love.... but...it hurts.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    Oh my, you have excellent taste as well fellow jammer!

*sips wine*

and you're beating me in post.. only slightly..

*puffs cigar*

:)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    reachdown12reachdown12 Posts: 693
    I believe Mad Season to have been one of the most brilliant and 'beautifully tragic' collaborations i've ever heard. Just hearing the passion dripping with such an exquisite energy between them is enough to make it great alone. The soulful qualities within Layne's voice, Mikey's heart-wrenching guitaring(which on this album is so well shown), and Martin and Saunders..unbelievable. As solid and real as this album is, my key favorites are..

Wake Up, just that effect it has on you, and indeed as the song progresses it seems to liven you along with it's tempo,etc. and such gorgeous yet saddening lyrics..beautiful.
    River of Deceit, of course the first song that got me attention of this creation. suuuuch a beautiful gem. and the reality of it is just so incredibly searing.

I'm Above, another one i dearly love. just hearing mikey playing on this is enough to see that this is a magnificent one.

Lifeless Dead and I Don't Know Anything are incredible. Just the collaboration between Mike and Layne's passion is a force to be reckoned with.

The really personal fave, Long Gone Day with Mark Lanegan, absolutely flooring in my opinion. It is sooo saddening, yet like a true blues song, always has that glint of hope within its depths. love this song to death what with it's haunting quality.

November Hotel just grasps the core of Mike's amazing ability at what he does and loves. This is a gem that is quite remarkable in its own way

And the closing of All Alone..just the mood and the feeling it eminates..incredible. It truly takes you into the music itself and really makes you feel as it does..nothing can get passed that feeling..

This truly was a work of art in every which way. And it really shows as well how much I miss Layne and how the lyrics and everything..it does indeed hurt so much. it's a passionate, powerful piece that really should be heard by those who haven't and listened to again by those who already possess this masterpiece.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."