The Verve

LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I'm just getting into this band after picking up Urban Hymns. All I can say is fucking awesome. "Bittersweet Symphony" is a masterpiece, I don't care if he ripped off the Stones lol.
I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    Just got it about a month ago, even though it's not new. I feel the lyrics to "Symphony" and wish they'd been written by me, but I can't help dancing like Jagger when I sing them. Cuz I'm a million different people from one day to the next. I can't change my mold.

Also love "The Rolling People" (sounds a bit U2-ish), Catching the Butterfly (oh, aren't we all?) and every track from "Space and Time" through the end hidden track, which I find rather disturbing but listen to anyway. "One Day" is beautiful and "This Time" is very hypnotic. Great album. I'm glad I finally found it.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Urban Hymns is one incredible album. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I need to. Brilliant.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    best english band of the 90's

it's a shame that they aren't still doing it .... I saw them live the day after McCabe quit for good...was a heartbreaking show to watch.

If you guys haven't got back to their early albums, you're missing out. Check out the Verve EP. Amazing. Or even the greatest hits album. The remastered tracks are great.

A band that took chances, and had the balls to believe in what they had to say. Unlike PJ, Verve always wanted to be the biggest band in the world, and that's why Urban Hymns is timeless.

cheers
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    You all now need to go get A Storm In Heaven, the debut album and realise Urban Hymns is pale in comparission.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i have a northern soul and urban hymns.
    I must be feeling low
    I talked to god in a phonebox on my way home
    I told you my answer
    I left you my dreams on your answering machine

Come on
    Let the spirit inside you
    Don't wait to be found
    Come along with my sound
    Let the spirit move you
    Let the waves come up
    They'll fuse you
    I never met no one to deny a sound

I must be going insane
    I called the doctor so he can relieve my pain
    He's got a little pill for me
    Just a little luxury
    Help me through my day

Come on
    Let the spirit inside you
    Don't wait to be found
    Come along with our sound
    Let the spirit move you
    Let the waves come up
    They'll fuse you
    I never met no one to deny our sound

Come on
    Come on
    Come on
    Come on...

There's only one life
    There's only one life

Let it go
    Let it go
    Let it go

This is a big
    Fuck you!
    This is a big
    Fuck you!
    Come on!

Come on now
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

it's a shame that they aren't still doing it .... I saw them live the day after McCabe quit for good...was a heartbreaking show to watch.

cheers

I dont know, I'm quite enjoying Richards solo stuff, he's a really good writer.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009

So far from what I've heard, Keys to the World is the only album of his that I'd really really like and it's still no Verve.....I need to find their second album somewhere, I'm hooked.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    History, that's a great song by them...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032

If you guys haven't got back to their early albums, you're missing out. Check out the Verve EP. Amazing. Or even the greatest hits album. The remastered tracks are great.

A band that took chances, and had the balls to believe in what they had to say. Unlike PJ, Verve always wanted to be the biggest band in the world, and that's why Urban Hymns is timeless.

cheers

Wasn' their last performance Slane Castle ?
  • huffaluffahuffaluffa Posts: 38

Ashcroft's solo stuff is pretty good. I saw him live opening up for coldplay. He played "bittersweet symphony"
  • TheLuckyOnesTheLuckyOnes Posts: 472
    i don't think so....

McCabe definitely quit in the middle of the Urban Hymns UStour....
    it was like the second time thru for that album ... I'm from detroit, and you can see them playing St Andrews Hall in detroit in the verve tour video. that was '97 i think ... then they had scheduled Palace of Auburn Hill in 98 (Arena show!?!) but that got moved after not enough seats were sold... so i went to that show, ..... and no McCabe. the word was that he had quit the nite before in chicago. And the band was definitely apologetic from the stage, saying they would give it all they had without him.

The Slane castle show was before this. I've got a program from the show i went to (only time i've ever bought a concert program) and it lists every show they ever played. If i could find it, i could give you the date.
    I'm 99 percent sure, but there's always that one percent in your head saying "YOU ARe Wrong!!!

miss this band alot tho....nobody does it like them.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    I'm just getting into this band after picking up Urban Hymns. All I can say is fucking awesome. "Bittersweet Symphony" is a masterpiece, I don't care if he ripped off the Stones lol.

i agree whole-heartedly! Bomb song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....