Murder in the Red Barn
Shake It

--(encore 1)
Singapore
Goin' Out West

--(encore 2)
Day After Tomorrow
Heartattack & Vine (Spoonful tease)

*w/ TW on piano and Larry Taylor on upright bass.
A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    so?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • So, it was a great show...

If you knew any of the history of Pearl Jam you wold know that Tom was a huge part of what they set out to do

moemoe6434 wrote:
    so?
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Set list...
    Make It Rain
    Hoist that Rag
    Shore Leave
    God's Away on Business
    November
    'Til the Money Runs Out
    Blue Valentine
    Lucky Day*
    Tango til they're Sore*
    House Where Nobody Lives*
    Don't Go into that Barn
    (Lie to Me, Baby)
    Whislin' Past the Graveyard
    9th & Hennepin
    Trampled Rose
    Get Behind the Mule
    Murder in the Red Barn
    Shake It

--(encore 1)
    Singapore
    Goin' Out West

--(encore 2)
    Day After Tomorrow

i like your name!
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Yeah! I saw him in 2004 in Berlin, this guy is without a doubt one of the most talented artists ever!!

I'm glad you saw him, i hope he could come here some day.
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    So, it was a great show...

If you knew any of the history of Pearl Jam you wold know that Tom was a huge part of what they set out to do

CSNY
    July 30, 2006
    Irvine, CA: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    Set 1
    FLAGS OF FREEDOM
    CARRY ON
    WOODEN SHIPS
    LONG TIME GONE
    MILITARY MADNESS
    AFTER THE GARDEN
    LIVING WITH WAR
    RESTLESS CONSUMER
    SHOCK AND AWE
    WOUNDED WORLD
    ALMOST CUT MY HAIR
    IMMIGRATION MAN
    FAMILIES
    DEJA VU
    Set 2
    HELPLESSLY HOPING
    OUR HOUSE
    ONLY LOVE
    GUINIVERE
    MILKY WAY
    TREETOP FLYER
    ROGER AND OUT
    SOUTHBOUND TRAIN
    OLD MAN TROUBLE
    CARRY ME
    TEACH YOUR CHILDREN
    SOUTHERN CROSS
    FIND THE COST
    HENDRIX
    LET’S IMPEACH THE PRESIDENT
    FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH
    CHICAGO
    OHIO
    WHAT ARE THEIR NAMES
    ROCKIN IN THE FREE WORLD
    Encore 1
    WOODSTOCK

good show
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • NotMikeNotMike Posts: 27
    Set list...
    Make It Rain
    Hoist that Rag
    Shore Leave
    God's Away on Business
    November
    'Til the Money Runs Out
    Blue Valentine
    Lucky Day*
    Tango til they're Sore*
    House Where Nobody Lives*
    Don't Go into that Barn
    (Lie to Me, Baby)
    Whislin' Past the Graveyard
    9th & Hennepin
    Trampled Rose
    Get Behind the Mule
    Murder in the Red Barn
    Shake It

--(encore 1)
    Singapore
    Goin' Out West

--(encore 2)
    Day After Tomorrow

Wow, that looks good.

Just curious, and sorry for my ignorance, but how was Tom a huge part of what Pearl Jam set out to do? Was it the whole non-conformist attitude?

I really like Tom's music, but I didn't think he and Pearl Jam had anything to do with each other.
    "I think I'm cool." - Stone Gossard.
  • Ed ia a huge fan.. he has never covered a song but has mentioned Tom in many interviews...
    THey didnt have anything to do with each other... TOm could be Ed's dad.... Tom was a big influence on Ed's writing..
    NotMike wrote:
    Wow, that looks good.

Just curious, and sorry for my ignorance, but how was Tom a huge part of what Pearl Jam set out to do? Was it the whole non-conformist attitude?

I really like Tom's music, but I didn't think he and Pearl Jam had anything to do with each other.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    CSNY
    July 30, 2006
    Irvine, CA: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    Set 1
    FLAGS OF FREEDOM
    CARRY ON
    WOODEN SHIPS
    LONG TIME GONE
    MILITARY MADNESS
    AFTER THE GARDEN
    LIVING WITH WAR
    RESTLESS CONSUMER
    SHOCK AND AWE
    WOUNDED WORLD
    ALMOST CUT MY HAIR
    IMMIGRATION MAN
    FAMILIES
    DEJA VU
    Set 2
    HELPLESSLY HOPING
    OUR HOUSE
    ONLY LOVE
    GUINIVERE
    MILKY WAY
    TREETOP FLYER
    ROGER AND OUT
    SOUTHBOUND TRAIN
    OLD MAN TROUBLE
    CARRY ME
    TEACH YOUR CHILDREN
    SOUTHERN CROSS
    FIND THE COST
    HENDRIX
    LET’S IMPEACH THE PRESIDENT
    FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH
    CHICAGO
    OHIO
    WHAT ARE THEIR NAMES
    ROCKIN IN THE FREE WORLD
    Encore 1
    WOODSTOCK

good show

My buddy seen the show in Winnipeg (neilys hometown :D ) said it was incredible
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Ed ia a huge fan.. he has never covered a song but has mentioned Tom in many interviews...
    THey didnt have anything to do with each other... TOm could be Ed's dad.... Tom was a big influence on Ed's writing..

Actually, they've covered Waits' Jersey Girl (probably cos of the Boss doin it first tho:)) and they've tagged Hold On onto Daughter or something...
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • haven't they teased "in the coliseum" before? i could swear i've heard ed sing this.
    I dont know....
    I'll be at the show in Detroit next week...
    I'll be looking for ed!
  • I dont know....
    I'll be at the show in Detroit next week...
    I'll be looking for ed!
    You and me both! My husband is a big fan and got tickets for us. Are you going to the pre-show at the Detroit Beer Co.?
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    haven't they teased "in the coliseum" before? i could swear i've heard ed sing this.
    they did, kinda. verona 6/20/00. don't get excited to hear it like i did, though. very disappointing. not a full, proper cover.
  • daughter68 wrote:
    You and me both! My husband is a big fan and got tickets for us. Are you going to the pre-show at the Detroit Beer Co.?
    tell me about it!!!!
    I'll be arriving Fri at 3pm
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    great set, too. still kinda pisses me off he doesn't go deeper into his catalog, though.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    ed did a full on solo version of "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" at either the Wiltern show or the Royce Hall in '02.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    that setlist looks great. I'm really glad he brought back Make it Rain and Hoist That Rag....two of my all time favorites. I'm seeing him in Akron on the 13th. cant wait.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • tell me about it!!!!
    The Detroit Beer Co. 1529 Broadway, Detroit Mi,.GO to eyeballkid.com .There is a page about all the pre-parties for the Tom Waits shows.
    Maybe we will see you there.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    haven't they teased "in the coliseum" before? i could swear i've heard ed sing this.
    yep, he sung a verse of this in verona on the 2000 tour which was released as part of their official bootlegs, that venue really is a dated open air colliseum(they are playing the same venue soon)................................................... Ive got most tom waits records and whilst I love swordfishtrombones,raindogs, franks wild years, blue valentine, heart of a saturday night, closing time there are others I find bewildering or else totally freaked..........like Im unsure If Im into heartattack aand vine but I totally dont get bonemachine and others(cant remember those)...................BUT, would without question of shore or sea Id dive to see him live yet would be entering the unknown.......
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    tell me about it!!!!
    ooiiii, you again! Im such an asshole to people on here sometimes and to you I sent an ode of yearning with no hope of it being requieted, it was pm´d so as to not let slip but was all true........am I a freak or what? played tom waits to (ex) girlfriends and they´ve thought:what the fuck is this shit.........well not em all, those that reacted as such: they were told.....
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    heres the reported setlist from tonight's asheville show:

Singapore
    Make it Rain
    Hoist That Rag
    Shore Leave
    November
    Gods Away on Business
    'Til the money Runs out
    All The World Is Green
    Tango 'Til Their Sore
    Invitation to the Blues
    You Can Never Hold Back Spring
    Clap Hands
    Whistling Past The Graveyard
    Heartattack and Vine
    Lie to Me Baby
    What's He Building in There
    Trampled Rose
    Get Behind the Mule
    Murder in the Red Barn
    Goin' out West
    Down In The Hole
    Blue Valentine
    Dont Go into that Barn
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • thanks so much!!!
    It will be nice to have somewhere to go and have fun!

daughter68 wrote:
    The Detroit Beer Co. 1529 Broadway, Detroit Mi,.GO to eyeballkid.com .There is a page about all the pre-parties for the Tom Waits shows.
    Maybe we will see you there.
  • this guy does not sound like a real fan.... just a guy with a job to do.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/02/2006

Tom Waits looks like a scarecrow and sings like a monster. He growls and howls, he whispers, he wheezes like a muted trumpet.

Needless to say, his voice isn't for everyone. But its grainy texture and peculiar expressiveness, along with Waits' mysterious persona and noirish songwriting, have made this avant-garde crooner one of popular music's most adored cult figures.

Enough people know and care about Tom Waits that his tour-opening show Tuesday night at the Tabernacle sold out in less than half an hour. He has no new record to promote, which hardly mattered. Waits rarely tours — this was his first Atlanta performance in about 30 years — and you never know when the 56-year-old artist is going to hang up his performing career and devote his life to some marginal pursuit, like junk collecting or knife throwing.

And so the Tabernacle was clogged with hard-core fans. The hard-core Waits fan demographic seems to be hipster adults — in the audience was everyone from Criminal Records boss Eric Levin to Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers.

The show lasted almost two hours and covered a huge range of material. Waits played with a crack band that included his son Casey on the drums and bluesman Duke Robillard on guitar. The prevailing sound was a minimal, almost tribal take on busted-up blues.

Wearing a porkpie hat, Waits himself spent most of the show standing on a riser at center stage, where he strangled his microphone and stomped to the downbeat. He played some guitar on "Blue Valentines" and did a mini-set on piano (accompanied by Larry Taylor on upright bass), but for most of the show his voice was his only instrument.

A typical Waits song is rich in detail and haunting in delivery — over the course of Tuesday's show, his songs mentioned a mule and a pile of dead leaves and a murder on a farm. There was also a barn you're not supposed to enter. And a chest of drawers in the "House Where Nobody Lives."

Waits performed "9th and Hennepin," about a place where people behave like dogs and "all the doughnuts have names like prostitutes." The song was inspired, Waits swore to the audience, by a night he got caught between two fighting 11-year-old pimps who threw utensils because "they couldn't afford firearms."
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    What an ace set, so unbelievably jealous.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • RAT!RAT! Posts: 115
    fuckin hell that sounds like a great set

i missed him last time he was in seattle......
  • Picture In A Frame was played in Italy...

Ed rocks!