I Saw ZZ Top Last Night

Character ZeroCharacter Zero Posts: 96
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I went and saw ZZ Top last night, and I must admit I was really impressed. I was expecting the whole fuzzy guitars, coreographed little jigs, etc. to be a bit hokie, but they actually really pulled it off. I have loved their music since I was a kid and thought the show would leave a little to be desired, not at all. Billy Gibbons is pushing 60 and can still play dirty, nasty blues with anybody, the guy is still one of the greatest American guitarists at that age. Dusty Hill is as solid and consistent as ever, and Frank Beard while not flashy in the least gets the job done.
What I found incredible was that they still looked like they were having tons of fun, you can tell they get along amazingly well and really are the best of friends. There isn't one ounce ego in that band. Anybody seen them recently?
Thoughts? I say keep it up fellas, keep the rock and roll alive.
I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I saw them in Chicago at the Jumpin Jack Bash in July with Joan Jett, The Stray Cats, The Pretenders and REO Speedwagon. I'm not a fan of ZZ Top, but I must say they do put on a pretty good show. And it did look like they were having loads of fun.
    4/23/03 - Champaign, IL
    5/16/06 - Chicago, IL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    5/4/10 - St Louis, MO

...tickle my nausea...
  • Billy Gibbons is a fantastic guitarist and you are quite correct when you say he can still play.
  • The latest Guitar Legend magazine is on ZZ Top, and a fantastic read. Billy Gibbons is an amazing dude, and has been around for a long time. They supported Hendrix in the early days, and he was a close friend of gus like Clapton and SRV. They are a great example of a band that has evolved but stayed grounded in their roots at the same time. And talk about funky !!!!!
    I am going through a ZZ stage at present, learning a bunch of their stuff. A lot of his solos are very creative and his tone is impeccable.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • The latest Guitar Legend magazine is on ZZ Top, and a fantastic read. Billy Gibbons is an amazing dude, and has been around for a long time. They supported Hendrix in the early days, and he was a close friend of gus like Clapton and SRV. They are a great example of a band that has evolved but stayed grounded in their roots at the same time. And talk about funky !!!!!
    I am going through a ZZ stage at present, learning a bunch of their stuff. A lot of his solos are very creative and his tone is impeccable.

Maybe the most well rounded guitar tone of anybody. So much crunch, so much clarity. It's just nasty.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Maybe the most well rounded guitar tone of anybody. So much crunch, so much clarity. It's just nasty.

I listen to a song like My Head's In Mississippi and just bow down to the guitar tone, it's incredible.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,850
    Im bad, Im nationwide

I saw them years ago and they were fantastic

Very talented band with great songs that brings it.

As long as they play the pre-eliminator stuff, your golden
  • I agree, and they've since gone away from the poppy stuff again and gone back to the blues. Granted they aren't the greatest songs ever written but they are still fun to listen too. Come on, She's Got Legs and She knows how to use them!! Thats a fun song.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,850
    I agree, and they've since gone away from the poppy stuff again and gone back to the blues. Granted they aren't the greatest songs ever written but they are still fun to listen too. Come on, She's Got Legs and She knows how to use them!! Thats a fun song.

I can handle eliminator, but not much after that