Jamie Lidell, Multiply

leethalleethal Posts: 134
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Anyone heard of this guy. I though id bring him up cause there was a thread about black people in music. Anyway listen to this guy and you'd swear he was blacker then the Ace of Spades but it turns out he is a white englishmen with an incredible voice. This guy can really, really sing not because he sounds blacker than stevie wonder but because he sounds better then stevie wonder.

Multiply was the first single of his latest album and is probably my favourite song of the past year. Really soulful and retro.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• leethal wrote:
    Anyone heard of this guy. I though id bring him up cause there was a thread about black people in music. Anyway listen to this guy and you'd swear he was blacker then the Ace of Spades but it turns out he is a white englishmen with an incredible voice. This guy can really, really sing not because he sounds blacker than stevie wonder but because he sounds better then stevie wonder.

Multiply was the first single of his latest album and is probably my favourite song of the past year. Really soulful and retro.

I would respect your post more if it didn't have the obvious racial overtones.
    Don't mean to push, but Im being shoved!!!

Toronto 09/19/05
    Hamilton 09/13/05
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 09/21/96
    Toronto 05/09/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    leethal wrote:

Well, I wouldn't say he sounds better than Stevie Wonder to my ear (but that's probably because I'm a long time partial to Wonder); I think his voice is well his own and you can hear the Wonder in him, as well as the Cooke. I'll be seeing Lidell tonight in Los Angeles.

And I don't mind the racial overtones; they're kind of hard to avoid when you're talking about something that involves race, and race is typically a distinct factor where soul music is concerned. And plus racial references aren't always a bad thing; sometimes they're just descriptive.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace