The Temptations

leethalleethal Posts: 134
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I'm really into motown at the moment, its remarkable how different music used to be. Some of it is forgettable but the Temptations are amazing. David Ruffin is close to favourite singer of all time. I got into them while on a road trip, and let me tell you there is no better way to drive then with "It's Growing" blaring. What are your favourite motown moments?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The Temptations are great. I especially like their later, funky stuff like Papa was a Rollin Stone and Ball of Confusion. I agree that David Ruffin rocks.

As far as other great Motown stuff, it doesn't get much better than Marvin Gaye. It should be mandatory for anyone who claims to be a music fan to own What's Goin On. Smokey Robinson had some great stuff. He was just an awesome songwriter. I especially like Tracks of My Tears and You Really Got a Hold On Me. Martha and the Vandellas are probably my favorite "girl group" in Motown. Martha Reeves' voice is awesome, especially on Nowhere to Run.

You also gotta love the old Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder stuff.

A whole lot of the credit for the greatness of Motown has to go to their house band, the Funk Brothers, featuring James Jamerson - arguably the most influential bass player ever. Any one who likes Motown's music should check out the documentary Standing In the Shadows of Motown - it's all about the Funk Brothers.