Peter Gabriel out of Genesis Reunion!!!

tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Well.......there's goes most of my interest in seeing this band reunite.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6067646.stm

Former Genesis singer Peter Gabriel says he will not be joining his bandmates for an upcoming reunion tour.

Gabriel, 56, was a founding member of the band, singing with them until 1975, when he left to pursue a solo career.

"There were conversations and I decided not to be a part of it," Gabriel told BBC News.

His replacement, former drummer Phil Collins, has confirmed he will take part in the reunion tour, which was announced earlier this week.

"I'm very happy for them," said Gabriel.

"It's not that I've ruled it out, but I've got some new material that I'll be working on."

A spokesman for Genesis said specific details of the tour and "long term plans" including possible new material would be announced in the next few weeks.

Cult success

Genesis sold over 130 million albums during the 1970s and '80s, scoring hits with albums such as Nursery Cryme, Selling England By The Pound and Invisible Touch.

They started out as a progressive rock band, but took a more commercial direction when Collins took over the vocal duties. The 1980s saw them score a run of top 40 singles, including Mama, That's All and In Too Deep.

Collins quit the group in 1996, and was replaced by former Stiltskin singer Ray Wilson.

He recorded one album, 1997's Calling All Stations, with remaining members Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks before the band was put on indefinite hiatus.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    I couldnt care less. i hate the 80. its a huge generalisation but the one good(studio) album that came out of it was Graceland.. i didnt come across one other great album. in my honest opinion.. so genesis..sorry. nice pop tunes but not very good for me.
    I change by not changing at all.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    daanarts wrote:
    I couldnt care less. i hate the 80. its a huge generalisation but the one good(studio) album that came out of it was Graceland.. i didnt come across one other great album. in my honest opinion.. so genesis..sorry. nice pop tunes but not very good for me.
    Study history........Genesis began in the early 1970s with Peter Gabriel out front....a progressive-style rock band........Yes, the mid to late 1980s was a low point artisically for this band and Yes, Phil Collins now sucks ass......but this band put out wonderful music prior to 1985.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    daanarts wrote:
    i hate the 80. its a huge generalisation but the one good(studio) album that came out of it was Graceland.. i didnt come across one other great album.

Sigh...

Yes, you're right. U2, Tom Waits, The Replacements, R.E.M., Pixies, Talking Heads, Minor Threat, Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Social Distortion, Sonic Youth, the entire genre of hip-hop... nothing good to be found in there. Might as well write off the whole decade. ;)
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    Sigh...

Yes, you're right. U2, Tom Waits, The Replacements, R.E.M., Pixies, Talking Heads, Minor Threat, Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Social Distortion, Sonic Youth, the entire genre of hip-hop... nothing good to be found in there. Might as well write off the whole decade. ;)

like i said. a huge generalisation.but i stand by it. ofcourse few exceptions. but to me none of your list count. except REM. I like absolutely none of them. .
    I change by not changing at all.