Kim Thayil

totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
edited September 2006 in Other Music
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1540427/20060907/heaven_shall_burn.jhtml?headlines=true
Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil has contributed guitar work to a collaboration between American drone kings Sunn O))) and Japanese sludge masters Boris. Thayil, who appears on the song "Blood Swamp," also wrote the liner notes for the album, which comes out October 31 and is called Altar. A vinyl-only version includes the bonus track "Her Lips Were Wet With Venom," which features Earth frontman Dylan Carlson. Other guests include Joe Preston (High on Fire, Earth, Melvins), Steve Moore (Earth) and Jesse Sykes, and other songs include "Etna," "N.L.T." and "Akuma No Kuma."

sounds pretty cool to me :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I was kinda wondering what he's been up to. Awesome guitarist!!
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    hen really needs to get his own band sorted. he is such a brilliant guitarsist he shouldnt be sitting on his arse. COME ON KIM!!!!!!!1 ;)
  • darkcrow wrote:
    hen really needs to get his own band sorted. he is such a brilliant guitarsist he shouldnt be sitting on his arse. COME ON KIM!!!!!!!1 ;)

Couldn't agree more. I've been listenin to a lot of Soundgarden recently, and his guitar work is AMAZING! Very underrated in my opinion.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    this guy is the shit
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    I BrisK I wrote:
    this guy is the shit

i misread and was about to post a really angry repsonse ;)
  • kim is way too talented of a musician to not be in a band. SG was amazing and kim IS one of the most underated guitarists.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Wooooo! The return of the BAD ASS! :D \m/\m/\m/ Good god this guy is the BADDEST of the BAD! I'm soooo beyond thrilled to see him in action again. Of course I wish it was more than one song but hey, I'll take what I can get at this point. Can't wait to hear it! :D

HAIL HAIL the bad ass mother that is KIM fuckin THAYIL!
    \m/
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    kim is a total badass... that guy wrote some killer riffs and ripped out some amazing solos. good to see him back in action.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjfan020 wrote:
    kim is way too talented of a musician to not be in a band. SG was amazing and kim IS one of the most underated guitarists.

Ya man.... The way he used to do those solos in that crazy tunings, very impressive. He and Cornell, are the reason I began playing guitar.
  • He's been bumming around, dammit.
  • Thayil was great back in the day with Soundgarden. I love his work in "Like Suicide" and "Limo Wreck," 2 of my all time fav. SG songs!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Wooooo! The return of the BAD ASS! :D \m/\m/\m/ Good god this guy is the BADDEST of the BAD! I'm soooo beyond thrilled to see him in action again. Of course I wish it was more than one song but hey, I'll take what I can get at this point. Can't wait to hear it! :D

HAIL HAIL the bad ass mother that is KIM fuckin THAYIL!
    \m/

Yeah, it's cool! :)

We got to meet him at Croc Cafe the night after Benaroya show in 2003 for Charles Peterson's Book Release party.

He stood behind us all night (we didn't bother or talk to him 'cause he gave out this vibe that he just wanted to be left alone.... also, I think he might have thought we were rich snobs because we wore nicer clothes than everyone else in the building...but it was our 10th anniversary so fuck 'em! ;) )

Bobby has really short hair in this picture... hehhee. His hair is really long now!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/merich/Bobby/BobbyKimThyailOct222003.jpg

Did I mention Bobby hung out with Bruce Pavitt... Bobby had no idea who he really was until AFTER the show. HAHAHA....

"Shit, I hung out and talked with the owner of SUB POP?!!"
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/merich/Bobby/BobbyBrucePavitt.jpg

:D

Ya, Kim rocks!

And thanks to the poster for the update on Kim Thyail's activities!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    can't wait to hear it
  • nooiccccce.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I love Thayil and all and not to burst your bubble.. but I heard this album and you can't even tell he's on it.. its basically just feedback.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    I love Thayil and all and not to burst your bubble.. but I heard this album and you can't even tell he's on it.. its basically just feedback.

then again it's Sunn and Boris, we couldn't expect Spoonman 2, could we?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I was expecting at least maybe a guitar solo or maybe a guitar riff. that would have been neat.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    bharQ wrote:

I thought that's what made it kick ass. I can pick Kim's feedback out of a wall of guitars any day of the week. That sound is part of what made him so sick...like the early days of SG...and that wicked feedback he gets at the beginning of Jesus Christ Pose :D