Anyone seen Billy Joel in concert?

GivenToFlyFreakGivenToFlyFreak Posts: 86
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Billy Joel is going to be in Seattle next week and while I'd love to see him, ticket prices are STEEP ($90 bucks or so). Just wondering if anyone here has seen him and what you all thought?

Here is his setlist from the first show of the tour last night in Vancouver, looks like the hits were played!

October 30, 2007 - Vancouver, BC
General Motors Place

Prelude/Angry Young Man
My Life
Everybody Loves You Now
The Entertainer
Downeaster Alexa
Allentown
Zanzibar
NY State of Mind
Root Beer Rag
Movin' Out
Innocent Man
Always A Woman
Keepin' The Faith
River of Dreams
Highway to Hell
We Didn't Start The Fire
Big Shot
Still Rock 'n' Roll
You May Be Right

Encores:

Italian Restaurant
Only the Good Die Young

Piano Man
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    $90 bucks was what they started at .....I heard they were charging up to $400 for good seats ......I think that’s why a lot of the seats were empty! The estimate of the crowd in paper was 12,000 depending upon concert configuration capacity at GM place is between 16,000 and 19,000!

Here is a review form the show

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=cfdb95d3-2b0b-44d5-9340-2dc4ce5c9750&k=74831

Piano Man still has it after all these years
    At times the sound seemed garbled, but audience warmed up half-way through

Amy O'Brian
    Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

CREDIT: Mark van Manen, Vancouver Sun
    Billy Joel performs at GM Place Tuesday night to an an appreciative older audience.

CREDIT: Mark van Manen, Vancouver Sun
    Billy Joel performs at GM Place Tuesday night to an an appreciative older audience.

Staying true to his 1989 hit song, We Didn't Start the Fire, Billy Joel and his band kept things to a pleasant slow burn Tuesday night at GM Place, but didn't manage to ignite any explosions.

The Piano Man drew a large -- but fairly tame -- crowd of mostly boomer types out for a night on the town. With prime tickets costing up to $400, it was a major entertainment event for those in attendance, but the high ticket prices were also likely a major factor in the empty seats that dotted the arena.

Minutes after 8 p.m. Joel rose up through the stage with his piano, pounding the ivories and wearing his signature black tee-shirt, blazer and jeans. After a strange musical introduction reminiscent of the E.T. soundtrack, he launched into Angry Young Man with the ferocity of the 58-year-old man that he is.

He pounded the keyboard, looking at times like his hands were operating independently of the rest of his body as his fingers sped across the keys.

After a few songs, Joel warmed up the audience, which must have been in the 12,000 range, with some self-depricating jokes about his age, his baldness and his "need" for the money generated by this stadium tour. The mostly middle-aged crowd responded warmly and generously with applause and understanding.

But they were remarkably still and unresponsive during hits like Allentown and the Entertainer. The collective lack of reaction could possibly be blamed on the median age of the audience, but it was more likely due to the blown-out, amped-up sound of the bass, drums and synthesizer.

At times, the sound -- at least as I heard it from up in the press box -- was so blasted out and garbled it seemed as though Joel and his six-piece band were failing to keep time with each other.

But Joel conceded part way through the show that it was their first performance in about six months and asked the audience to be forgiving of any missteps. (He should have asked forgiveness for the sound engineer, too.)

His melancholy solo introduction to New York State of Mind and the quieter sounds of She's Always a Woman were proof that the show might have been more compelling had it featured more of the pared-down piano and vocals that showcase Joel's raw talent, rather than the big sound of a heavily amplified arena show. I also couldn't help thinking repeatedly throughout the performance that it would have been so much more appropriate -- and suitably intimate -- at a large theatre like the Queen Elizabeth.

But the crowd seemed to warm up to the arena atmosphere about half way through the show. They got a bit more lively when Joel gave them a festive taste of the Monster Mash and a small group of mostly women even rushed up to the stage with the first notes of Movin' Out, which was a highlight of the night, with its rollicking horns and sing-along lyrics.

People were delighted to witness Joel hit the high notes of Always a Woman and he got nearly everybody dancing in their seats with River of Dreams, which is when whatever substance he had in his travel mug seemed to really kick in. (He is reportedly sober. I'm assuming it was coffee.)

By the time Billy Joel picked up a guitar and played back-up for a rocking rendition of Highway to Hell -- sung by an overweight and tattooed roadie named Chainsaw -- the crowd seemed to be in a partying mood. (It was a truly brilliant few minutes.)

There was plenty of enthusiasm for We Didn't Start the Fire, yet the majority of the audience remained seated.

By press time, the show seemed to be on a high-energy streak even though Joel had already been playing for 90 minutes.

It seems the Piano Man still has it after all these years.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Saw him in 1994 with Elton John. They co-headlined a stadium tour. It was awesome. I have not seen Billy on his own, so I do not know how long he plays, but I would imagine looking at the setlist you posted it was a nice length. Seeing them both together was cool because they would collaborate on songs and even sing each other's tunes during their own sets. Billy did Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and I think Elton did NY State of Mind.
  • My last week at the Culinary Institute of America (2 weeks ago) he showed up in the Craig Claiborne bookstore.....he's a really cool dude.
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I saw him, but it was around '82 or '83 so I guess I can't really compare that to today. Sure can't compare the prices! I think my ticket was around $30-35.

For what it's worth, it was a great show. I didn't even like Billy Joel before that, but he is very good live! Played all the hits that the fans wanted to hear, I was impressed.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Saw him in 1994 with Elton John. They co-headlined a stadium tour. It was awesome. I have not seen Billy on his own, so I do not know how long he plays, but I would imagine looking at the setlist you posted it was a nice length. Seeing them both together was cool because they would collaborate on songs and even sing each other's tunes during their own sets. Billy did Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and I think Elton did NY State of Mind.
    yeah saw elton and billy together and the show was awesome....I saw Billy Joel solo about 2 years ago and really was disappointed. I don't recommend spend that kind of money to see him act like he's rapping (that was just sad).
    His music is good but I can say that his show no longer lives up to the music.. :(
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i saw him several times ... last time was in NYC on the 2nd of his 12 night stint... he sounded great... i have seen him play solo shows as well as the shows with Elton John... i have yet to be dissappointed in a Billy Joel Show... and the only reason i go is for my wife... she is the fan...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i was at the 11th show at MSG. unbelievable performer. i highly recommend you go.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    he is great live.

saw him in '89 storm front tour and around 2002 with Elton John...both shows were great! for an old fart piano player, he's great live!!! worth $90
    I love to turn you on
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I saw him back in '99 I believe, it was a good show. It was in December, and every once in a while he'd sing a few bars of some Christmas songs to us. He's also seems like a really nice guy, as some have already said.

He mostly plays the hits, at the show I went to I was really happy to hear Pressure, I Go To Extremes, and Uptown Girl.

If you've got the money I'd recommend it.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • i hear he's amazing in concert, i cant wait until i see him
    there'll be time for laughin'
    there's no time to cry
    soon i will be leavin'
    look me in the eye
    no matter what's in front of me
    it's your face that i'll see
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Saw him in 1994 with Elton John. They co-headlined a stadium tour. It was awesome. I have not seen Billy on his own, so I do not know how long he plays, but I would imagine looking at the setlist you posted it was a nice length. Seeing them both together was cool because they would collaborate on songs and even sing each other's tunes during their own sets. Billy did Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and I think Elton did NY State of Mind.
    i saw them together the first time they went on tour... i was young... i remember it was right around the time of The Lion King because Elton John had that HUGE hit song "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" and they showed some clips from the movie. and yes, Billy Joel rocked... he played "NY State Of Mind". good show. it was at the Vet (i think).
  • Yep, saw him at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse in early 2006, and he put on one hell of a show. Worth every penny. Even cracked some jokes about his drunkenness.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Billy Joel shows aren't the same without Liberty Devito in the drums.

Hes no Matt Cameron, but without him the songs sound like a broadway musical.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Billy Joel shows aren't the same without Liberty Devito in the drums.

Hes no Matt Cameron, but without him the songs sound like a broadway musical.
    Love him live; he's playing here in SLC too, but I can't afford, but I feel better if Devito is not on drums; he is purely amazing live.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Posts: 1,028
    cool story, i took the orient point ferry along with my wife and two friends to go see billy at the mohegan sun on saturday night, and who do we see on the ferry? billy. . .he stepped outside on the deck and while out there i said fuck it, im gonna go ask him if he could take a picture with us, and he obliged. . .he had a film crew there with him who are supposedly doing some kind of movie about him, and they interviewed us after we snapped a few pics with billy. while we were talking on camera billy came back over and talked with us for 5-10 minutes, he was a real cool, down to earth guy. on top of that he put on a great show at mohegan. . .that was the 4th time ive seen him, previously saw him once at nassau coliseaum in '97 and twice in that 12 shows he did at the garden two years ago
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    he puts on a good show. I've seen him live & with Elton John. Liked him solo better. You should go.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Go! He is classic. Saw him at the Boston Garden.... or perhaps it was the new Garden about 7 years ago. Great show.

Played the hits. Totally worth it. Think it was about $65.00 at the time.
  • THCTHC Posts: 525
    i hear he's amazing in concert, i cant wait until i see him
    i have seen him a few times..and you are right...he is amazing in concert.
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • i saw him last year at the carrier dome, and if i remember correctly, it was just under $50 per ticket. i had fun and would definitely go see him again.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Billy was here @ 3 months ago and it was a very entertaining show. Mostly the hits and lots of stories between songs, but I think that was to adjust to the altitude.

Last day tix here were available for 1/2 price, so we had killer seats on the side for @ $50 each.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain