Crocodile Cafe in Seattle closed it's doors today!

GivenToFlyFreakGivenToFlyFreak Posts: 86
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Yep, it's true...

All the employees were called last night and told not to come to work today, they closed their doors and changed the locks.

Not sure how many of you here have caught a show at The Croc, but it was the best small venue in town hands down here in Seattle. It opened it's doors in '91 while the grunge explosion was sweeping the city and hosted just about every huge act to come out of Seattle, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Mad Season, you name it... (not sure if PJ ever played there). Heck they even had the Beastie Boys for two shows this spring (the place only holds about 350 people)

No reason was given as to why they've shut down... I know I've seen close to 50 shows there in my time (Mudhoney, Superdeluxe, The Presidents of the U.S.A., The Strokes, Visqueen, Peter Buck of R.E.M., Tim Reynolds, and many more).

It's a sad day for sure here in Seattle.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    That is sad. We were only there a couple of times, but it was a great venue. :(
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Peter Buck co-owned that place... weird.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Pearl Jam played there in 1996 with Cheap Trick according to this article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/343889_crocodile18web.html?source=mypi
  • Speaking of Pearl Jam, R.e.m., and the Croc, might wanna check this out...

http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/01/rem/ev_rem.shtml

The money I would have given to have been at THAT show.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • That's truly sad
    RIP
    It was an awesome venue. I've had many good times there when visiting the emerald city...
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I visted the croc while in Seattle last year... nice venue sad.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    It is too bad.

I am just glad that The Showbox is staying put in both locations. Even though it was just sold - they claim that they are not changing a thing.
  • Very sad about this... I had many amazing nights at the Croc. I hope someone buys the place and reopens.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Made it a point to stop in when i was up there for the first time. Got to see Sondre Lerch (Sp) there.

Sad day for sure. It was a well known venue
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Peter Buck co-owned that place... weird.

Actually it was his ex-wife. He just divorced her last year, I believe.

There were lots of rumor of financial trouble, delayed paychecks, etc... The booker left or was fired a couple of weeks ago and the writing was on the wall. I spent most of the early 90's in that club, and love it. But honestly haven't really been there much in years.

RIP, Croc. Hopefully someone will come along and resurect it. I know AEG just bought the Showbox, and earlier in the year the Showbox bought the Fenix, which bought the Premier. So lots of turnover here right now.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    It is too bad.

I am just glad that The Showbox is staying put in both locations. Even though it was just sold - they claim that they are not changing a thing.
    Amen to that... By far the best venue I've ever been in!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I just found the article about the Croc's booker leaving, and the issues they were having -
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=454689
  • I never attended a show at that venue but my husband and I stopped to eat there before the Key Arena show on 2002...

It was really cool looking place.... sad they closed!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    jeffbr wrote:
    I just found the article about the Croc's booker leaving, and the issues they were having -
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=454689
    Heh, the writing sure was on the wall, huh?
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I kind of remember this being a legendary place for some of the big bands of the Seattle scene in the early 90's getting their start. I'm pretty sure I read Pearl Jam had played there. When I lived in the Seattle area in '91 I saw a show there. For the life of me I can't remember who it was. Something like Alice in Wonderland, Alice Cooper, something like that.
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Sad day.

I saw Tim Reynolds play about 3 years ago at the Croc. It's such an awesome venue.

Maybe someone should start a petition to re-open? Is there one already up?
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • How odd - for some reason, I was checking out their website just yesterday. They had a lot of good shows booked - Bobby Bare, Jr., Jon Rauhouse, Cadence Weapon, Born Ruffians...

Sounds like they might be better off with new management. Maybe it'll reopen by the next time I'm out in Seattle!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Peter Buck made a comment to Q magazine a few months back that in his divorce settlement Droogan got a small fortune. I can imagine!!!
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    I saw Robyn Hitchcock there this year the night before the Flight To Mars show. Peter Buck was there. That was my only visit to the Croc. Very unfortunate that it has closed. Maybe it will re-open. Anyone wanna go in on a business venture? =P (not really kidding, I want to own a night club or cafe in Seattle)
    Just me
  • Zanne wrote:
    I saw Robyn Hitchcock there this year the night before the Flight To Mars show. Peter Buck was there. That was my only visit to the Croc. Very unfortunate that it has closed. Maybe it will re-open. Anyone wanna go in on a business venture? =P (not really kidding, I want to own a night club or cafe in Seattle)

I'll come and work for you when you get that cafe. :)
  • Heard the news on John in the Morning, today.

I always wanted to play there, dive or no dive.
  • if you read the seattle times article the deathcab member seems to think the showbox at the market is doomed... sad. It would be okay if they were opening new places but it seems like they just go away... the showbox is like the Fillmore in SF, somebody should keep that going. Such a great venue for Seattle.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/entertainment/2004081002_croc18.html

from the Seattle Times -- One member of Death Cab, guitarist/producer Chris Walla, reacted to the news Tuesday. "It's a little bit of a punch in the gut," Walla said via e-mail. "I grew up at the Crocodile, in a way. If its plot ends up as yet another beautifully designed condominium, there's one less place for those city dwellers to go on a Friday night, or eat on a Saturday morning. The Showbox is next... Just think of the view the western-exposure units in that condo will have."
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    maybe......the ten club could grab it? pj would have their own place to play,when the notion strikes.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • wow that sucks that the croc shutdown. never been, but i know what it meant to the scene in the 90's.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24