Pumpkins 'Zeitgeist' to have 4 different track listings...

GivenToFlyFreakGivenToFlyFreak Posts: 86
edited June 2007 in Other Music
That's right, the marketing genius that is Billy Corgan is providing exclusive bonus tracks to certain retailers... take a look:

Standard:
1 Doomsday Clock
2 7 Shades of Black
3 Bleeding the Orchid
4 That’s The Way (My Love Is)
5 Tarantula
6 Starz
7 United States
8 Neverlost
9 Bring The Light
10 (Come On) Let’s Go!
11 For God And Country
12 Pomp And Circumstances

Best Buy:
1 Doomsday Clock
2 7 Shades Of Black
3 Bleeding The Orchid
5 Tarantula
6 Starz
7 United States
8 Neverlost
9 ***Death From Above (Bonus Track)***
10 Bring The Light
11 (Come On) Let’s Go!
12 For God And Country
13 Pomp And Circumstances

Target:
1 Doomsday Clock
2 7 Shades Of Black
3 Bleeding The Orchid
5 Tarantula
6 Starz
7 United States
8 Neverlost
9 Bring The Light
10 (Come On) Let’s Go!
11 For God And Country
13 ***Zeitgeist (Bonus Track)***

iTunes:
1 Doomsday Clock
2 7 Shades Of Black
3 Bleeding The Orchid
4 That's The Way (My Love Is)
5 Tarantula
6 Starz
7 United States
8 Neverlost
9 Bring The Light
10 For God And Country
11 ***Stellar (Bonus Track)***
13 Pomp And Circumstances

Standard:
1 Doomsday Clock
2 7 Shades of Black
3 Bleeding the Orchid
5 Tarantula
6 Starz
7 United States
8 Neverlost
9 Bring The Light
10 (Come On) Let’s Go!
11 For God And Country

And if that wasn't enough, Amazon.com has a version with a DVD of some sort and Best Buy's also comes with a 76 page book!

*Also, just so you know the track exclusive to Best Buy, 'Death From Above', will be on the Tarantula single which hits stores on July 2nd
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I hate that shit.
  • Nice way to punk your hardcore fans into buying four copies of your album. Why not just put all the extra tracks on one album?

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This is becoming the thing to do.

Queens of the stone age did this a little with their new album. I will buy one of the albums and i will acquire the others online.

That is what i did with queens and i don't have a guilty concious for doing it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • This isn't the artists fault... Record companies do this shit...

I am pissed off about this too... I wrote something on SmashingPumpkins.com about this. I think it's completly lame... Being a collector and a huge SP fan, I am sure I will buy all of them. I just wish they could just release a bonus disc or something with it, instead of spliting it up over several versions...

I'm sure there will be a torrent with all the bonus material around the time of release...
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    How is this different than, say, Pearl Jam including extra tracks on international releases? I don't see the big fuss. Instead of the European, North American, Japanese and/or Australian releases of a record, we now have four American releases from Smashing Pumpkins with varying content.

In this day and age, who would REALLY buy four copies of an album in order to get three extra tracks? They'll download 'em way before they'll shell out $50.00 more for them. Or four friends will buy four distinct copies and share the bonuses.

Not a big deal, other than creating a little buzz in the press and music-lover's communities.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • donravendonraven Posts: 139
    rhinomagic wrote:
    How is this different than, say, Pearl Jam including extra tracks on international releases? I don't see the big fuss. Instead of the European, North American, Japanese and/or Australian releases of a record, we now have four American releases from Smashing Pumpkins with varying content.

In this day and age, who would REALLY buy four copies of an album in order to get three extra tracks? They'll download 'em way before they'll shell out $50.00 more for them. Or four friends will buy four distinct copies and share the bonuses.

Not a big deal, other than creating a little buzz in the press and music-lover's communities.

International record companies, particularly in Japan include bonus tracks to entice buyers in those markets to purchase the albums in their own country rather than import it cheaper from the States. They aren't really meant as a means to screw the North American fans.
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Where the hell is Gossamer?
  • manonkouchmanonkouch Posts: 56
    bobasfeet wrote:
    Where the hell is Gossamer?

That what I'm thinking. It also looks like that there are going to be different colors depending on where you buy it. I've seen red, purple, blue and green.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Like it or not, this is the latest promotion trend for major record companies. There are other records and artists doing the same.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    manonkouch wrote:
    That what I'm thinking. It also looks like that there are going to be different colors depending on where you buy it. I've seen red, purple, blue and green.
    I think there's yellow too. I like red best though.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I Fucking Love You Billy!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    i dont know if pitchforkmedia is so dumb to think that we will buy 4 diffrent albums or what???
    i will buy 1, the other songs will be just downloads ...
    and yes a big fuck you to pitchforkmedia
    i love rock chicks
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'll bet all the extra songs will turn up as b-sides for forthcoming singles anyway. It's no real hardship for me to download the extra songs anyway ;)
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I'll bet all the extra songs will turn up as b-sides for forthcoming singles anyway. It's no real hardship for me to download the extra songs anyway ;)
    Exactly.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    rhinomagic wrote:
    They'll download 'em way before they'll shell out $50.00 more for them. Or four friends will buy four distinct copies and share the bonuses.

That won't work at all...
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    So you have to buy it at Target just to hear the title track???

Scum-ballery at it's finest.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Gossamer makes me want to jump off a cliff after hearing it live two nights in a row.
    DeLukin wrote:
    So you have to buy it at Target just to hear the title track???

Scum-ballery at it's finest.

I wouldn't mind seeing good music sell again. When bands like Nickelback are selling 6 million albums in America there's something wrong...Not that sales mean anything but still. When was the last time a really really great band was huge?

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119

One of them is a b-side of tarantula.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    One of them is a b-side of tarantula.

I envy your username.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Welp, I'm going with the iTunes one because I didn't know the Smashing Pumpkins would be covering an Incubus song!
    If I could, think I would give in.
    Welp, I'm going with the iTunes one because I didn't know the Smashing Pumpkins would be covering an Incubus song!

Nice post ;)

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • MattKMattK Posts: 16
    I checked out the iTunes store here in Ireland this morning and it looks like we are getting 2 bonus tracks. "Stellar" and if you pre-order the album you get "Zeitgeist" aswell. Awesome stuff.
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    I envy your username.

why?