I'm officially in love with the White Stripes

darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Never really got into them at first, but recently I bought both Get Behind Me Satan and Icky Thump and WOW. I'm really getting into them more.
"Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The wifey got me more into them with .......Satan. She played that disc relentlessly. Icky is ridiculously badass as well. Little Cream Soda rocks like a demon.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Keep Going!!!! Get Self-Titled, De Stijl, White Blood Cells and Elephant already!!!! They're all excellent.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    NO! Don't turn to the dark side!

Haha, just kidding. I used to despise them, but they're a good band to play loud with other people around. Meg White still sucks, though. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    DOSW wrote:
    NO! Don't turn to the dark side!

Haha, just kidding. I used to despise them, but they're a good band to play loud with other people around. Meg White still sucks, though. :)
    I used to think that as well but I think that she fits perfectly with their minimalistic approach. Also, Jack just plays what he feels and she jumps on in. They don't rehearse and he doesn't make a setlist before shows. They just have a general idea beforehand and go with what hits.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I used to think that as well but I think that she fits perfectly with their minimalistic approach. Also, Jack just plays what he feels and she jumps on in. They don't rehearse and he doesn't make a setlist before shows. They just have a general idea beforehand and go with what hits.

Eh. I'll always say the White Stripes would be infinitely better with someone like Dave Grohl on drums.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Eh. I'll always say the White Stripes would be infinitely better with someone like Dave Grohl on drums.

The White Stripes should be a 3 piece. They could replace Meg, but wouldnt have to.

Jack could go on some serious solo tangents, and would still have something backing him up besides Meg.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Wait until you hear Elephant.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    DE STIJL is my favorite probably followed by Icky Thump. However, the song "Icky thump" is by far the worst single on the album.
    DE STIJL is a spectacular album, I highly recommend.

Only WS album I didn't really get blown away by was the self titled disc- maybe it will grow on me though, although it's been 4 years.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • DOSW wrote:

go to a show. watch meg strategically playing at an angle. see tight shirt. see bazzooms bounce. forget what jack white looks like for an hour and a half.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I grew in love with them. I thought they were a bit kitschy at first, but I realized there is a whole lot of rockin' subtance.
  • I think TWS starts to bore each second-half of every disc of them.
    With exception of GBMS that one's already boring after track 1 & 2. However, De Stijl is still interesting and so is their first album.
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • I think my fav. song so far is "You Don't Know What Love Is" off of Icky Thump (at least I think that's what it's called, it's been in my car and I haven't looked at the cd case in awhile) but yeah I plan on getting more stuff from them.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • DE STIJL. thats all i have to say
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    White Blood Cells and Elephant would be the next ones I get, I never really got into De Stijl myself...
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • my personal ranking of the records:

1. elephant
    2. icky thump
    3.de stijl
    4. white blood cells
    5. self titled
    6. get behind me satan

1 through 5 all great. #6 is a little dissapointing.
  • ive got all the albums apart from the self-titled 'cause i dont really have the cash at the moment but they're all amazing, i think the best is probably Elephant
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07
  • currently obsessed with b-sides and self-titled

i love self-titled, it's raw powerful garage rock. just two young punks making a record in their attic. it's got such a refreshingly vintage feel to it. and the songs are just so damn good.
    Common sense is not so common.