Options

For those who like Star Wars and NIN

darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Ok, in case you guys didn't know, I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan besides being an INSANELY HUGE PEARL JAM FAN!! But that's besides the point.

I've been thinking lately, that Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" could be viewed as a concept album about Anakin Skywalker. If you've watched episode 3 and really read into the lyrics on Downward Spiral, you might see what I mean. But whenever I hear "Heresy" I think of how Palpatine tricked Anakin into joining the darkside and how Anakin slaughtered the Jedi so Palpatine could have a "perfect kingdom, of killing, suffering, and pain." Does anyone else agree with me on this? I'd really like to hear some responses from you guys. Peace...
"Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sorry i'm not a NIN fan but i love star wars!!
    www.riseagainst.com

Only thunder gives me rest.
  • Options
    Ok, in case you guys didn't know, I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan besides being an INSANELY HUGE PEARL JAM FAN!! But that's besides the point.

I've been thinking lately, that Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" could be viewed as a concept album about Anakin Skywalker. If you've watched episode 3 and really read into the lyrics on Downward Spiral, you might see what I mean. But whenever I hear "Heresy" I think of how Palpatine tricked Anakin into joining the darkside and how Anakin slaughtered the Jedi so Palpatine could have a "perfect kingdom, of killing, suffering, and pain." Does anyone else agree with me on this? I'd really like to hear some responses from you guys. Peace...

interesting - i don't much about DS, so i would have to check it out, but it seems that you have a good base there.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335

I also love PJ, NIN, and Star Wars. We should start a weird little club for fans of those three. It can be called Nine Jam Wars or Star Jam Nails! ;):D In any case, I hadn't thought of that before but that's kinda interesting. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Peace out.
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    Um... no

i picture the downward spiral to be like the self destruction of a humans life in the most tragic of circumstances. where as star wars has jar jar binks... nuff sed
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    oktacoma wrote:
    I also love PJ, NIN, and Star Wars. We should start a weird little club for fans of those three. It can be called Nine Jam Wars or Star Jam Nails! ;):D In any case, I hadn't thought of that before but that's kinda interesting. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Peace out.

DUDE!! THAT'S BRILLIANT!! We should have a fan club!!! But yeah, watch Episode 3 and listen to the Downward Spiral and you'll see what I mean. Really pay attention to some of the lyrics on that album.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    oktacoma wrote:
    that's awesome! i'd so be in that club, huge fan of all three over here as well :)
    i've never thought about that before darthvedder88, i'll have to give it a try (and ep.3 is my fave!) :D
  • Options
    We so need to get more ppl to post in this thread!!! But really listen to "Hurt" too. I mean c'mon "The needle tears a hole, the old familiar sting..." that just makes me picture Vader getting the suit at the end of Ep. 3 where the droids are all operating on him...Gosh!! I so need to watch Episode 3 and then listen to Downward Spiral!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    the downward spiral came out in like 95-96...preceding the entire new trilogy by 3-4 years. good ties but i think theres alot more going on in DS...especially since this trilogy kinda sucked
  • Options
    the downward spiral came out in like 95-96...preceding the entire new trilogy by 3-4 years. good ties but i think theres alot more going on in DS...especially since this trilogy kinda sucked

some people do read y'know
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options

Wow, nerdiest post I've read in a while. Keep up the good work :D
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,849
    Lay off the drugs, nerdlinger.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Ok seriously, I know this post is kinda geeky, and NO I'M NOT ON DRUGS. I don't do that shit, but anyways, really read into the lyrics. At least that's what I think of. Music speaks to us all in different ways and I'm just reminded so much of Episode 3 whenever I hear the Downward Spiral.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    wow...interesting, if I have no time wht so ever....lol.
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    the downward spiral is way too dark to compare to starwars aswell
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    sj_2150 wrote:
    the downward spiral is way too dark to compare to starwars aswell

Well, Episode 3 was the darkest Star Wars movie there was, so I'm just saying that's sort of how the Downward Spiral speaks to me. Take things for what you will, but I'm just giving my input on what this album does for me and I'm just seeing what other ppl thought about it, bc if you really look to the lyrics, it does fit the movie if you ask me.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    I've been thinking lately, that Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" could be viewed as a concept album about Anakin Skywalker.

thanks for providing me with the funniest most ridiculous quote i've read all week.
  • Options
    the downward spiral came out in like 95-96...

actually it came out in, LIKE, 94, same day as Superunknown.
  • Options
    Meditate on this I will...
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7142004942
    my pearl jam page

The dark side of this forum told me that 50 seconds between posts you wait . Please in 50 seconds, again you try.
    *Proud member of the forged kings nebulae; those of us who love Binaural and Riot Act, and also think that Matt Cameron is the f*ckin greatest!

my pearl jam page

Sorry, my master...

my pearl jam page

By the way, Star Wars died a horrible death when the new trilogy was released. Pure crap.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure the album is about star wars. You're right. Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, Star Wars died a horrible death when the new trilogy was released. Pure crap.

hey where's the love for Jar Jar....?

nah seriously
    coommon, the new trilogy isnt that bad......and episode 3 its one of the best along with e. IV and V..

my pearl jam page

I think about random crap like this all the time too. I think "eraser" fits well with erasing the identity of Anakin and replacing it with Darth Vader. Plus he's being used by Palpatine. I always thought NIN fits well as a soundtrack for movies. Just look at what "The Mark Has Been Made" did for Man on Fire. Makes me love that movie soooo much more just because of a NIN song without lyrics.
    Cannot stop the thought, running in the dark, coming up a which way sign, all good truants must decide.
    -Immortality