Pumpkins question.

darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Can someone help me determine songs where Billy plays lead and songs where James plays lead? I know Billy plays the solo on Cherub rock but I really don't know any others. Can someone help me out here?
"Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I know James plays lead on Zero... I once heard Billy refer to "those wacky Iha leads."
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Can someone help me determine songs where Billy plays lead and songs where James plays lead? I know Billy plays the solo on Cherub rock but I really don't know any others. Can someone help me out here?

billy handles most of the "solos", but james does a lot of the 2nd-guitar-filling-crazy shit.

they both be gooooooood playaz.
  • if they'll be going on tour soon and what they're up to at the moment? They're website says they're recording a new album. Is this true??!?? Another band from my angsty teenage years has returned to haunt me!!!
    If Pearl Jam was a beer, they'd probably be the best beer in the world!!
  • billy handles most of the "solos", but james does a lot of the 2nd-guitar-filling-crazy shit.

they both be gooooooood playaz.

Yeah that's what I thought. I've always heard ppl refer to as Billy Corgan as an incredible guitarist and noone give much credit to James, and I knew he played the solo on Cherub Rock so I figured Billy played a lot of solos. I do know James plays solos on songs like "Zero" and "Siva" though.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • if they'll be going on tour soon and what they're up to at the moment? They're website says they're recording a new album. Is this true??!?? Another band from my angsty teenage years has returned to haunt me!!!

Yes, it's true. It's being produced by Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, The Darkness). Other than that, everything else is still hush-hush. Billy, James, and Jimmy are currently working on the album, live shows will probably follow.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • Yes, it's true. It's being produced by Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, The Darkness). Other than that, everything else is still hush-hush. Billy, James, and Jimmy are currently working on the album, live shows will probably follow.

I don't think James Iha is OFFICIALLY back. There are rumors that he is, and hopefully they're true, but nothing has been said yet. All we know is D'arcy more than likely won't be back.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • I heard somewhere that the former James Addiction bassist has been in the studio with them. Which would make sense, considering how JA-esque some of the early pumpkins stuff is.
  • I heard somewhere that the former James Addiction bassist has been in the studio with them. Which would make sense, considering how JA-esque some of the early pumpkins stuff is.

James Addiction?:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Lol, that wa sa pretty unfortunate typo! :p
  • Things we know:

-Mellissa Auf Der Maur is available/willing to join but we don't know if she has.

-James Avery from Janes Addiction is in studio with them.

-Produced by Roy Thomas Baker

-Definetly gonna be a tour with it, they're back for real.

Things we think we might know (maybe):

-James Iha is rumored to be in the studio with them.

-They're supposedly going back to "their roots". I read that some guy ran into their keyboard player or something and asked how the studio work was going, getting the response "Well I don't know, I'm not in there with them. They're going back to their roots, ... more of a guitar based sound" (or something like that).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Things we think we might know (maybe):

-James Iha is rumored to be in the studio with them.

-They're supposedly going back to "their roots". I read that some guy ran into their keyboard player or something and asked how the studio work was going, getting the response "Well I don't know, I'm not in there with them. They're going back to their roots, ... more of a guitar based sound" (or something like that).

i really hope those are true....as much as i love adore and machina it would be awesome to see them go back to a guitar based sound like SD or MCIS....but regardless its gonna be awesome because i've never been disappointed with any of billy corgan's work
  • JSP552003 wrote:
    i really hope those are true....as much as i love adore and machina it would be awesome to see them go back to a guitar based sound like SD or MCIS....but regardless its gonna be awesome because i've never been disappointed with any of billy corgan's work

Same here, I'm hoping for an early Pumpkins-type sound. Imagine, Blind Melon is back, and the Pumpkins are back. This is AMAZING!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • JSP552003 wrote:
    I'm with you. Frankly, Machina is probably my favorite of them all, but I'm looking forward to see what Billy pulls out of his hat this time around. He always manages to do something totally unique :cool:

"Make our day"
  • I'm with you. Frankly, Machina is probably my favorite of them all, but I'm looking forward to see what Billy pulls out of his hat this time around. He always manages to do something totally unique :cool:

Billy Corgan = Musical Genius

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • did billy not pretty much play everything on siameese dream cause the rest of them were away having sex and doing drugs
  • edit

double post
  • edit

tripple post

how crap am i?
  • dirty flow wrote:
    did billy not pretty much play everything on siameese dream cause the rest of them were away having sex and doing drugs

Jimmy handled the drums.
    Billy did everything else (he's claimed) because he could lay down the tracks easier in less takes.
  • dirty flow wrote:
    did billy not pretty much play everything on siameese dream cause the rest of them were away having sex and doing drugs

Billy recorded most of Siamese Dream on his own because James and D'arcy were in a relationship and had broken up, and Jimmy fell into drugs and alcohol. Jimmy did play drums on some tracks with him though.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Billy recorded most of Siamese Dream on his own because James and D'arcy were in a relationship and had broken up, and Jimmy fell into drugs and alcohol. Jimmy did play drums on some tracks with him though.

Um unless I'm mistaken, Jimmy played drums on all the songs on Siamese Dream, I'm pretty sure Billy didn't play......
  • Um unless I'm mistaken, Jimmy played drums on all the songs on Siamese Dream, I'm pretty sure Billy didn't play......
    Knowing Billy he might have.. but I'm pretty sure Jimmy is on all or most of that album.

Billy loves him.. calls him his creative spark. I don't think he'd play the drums when he has Chamberlin in his corner.

"Make our day"
  • Knowing Billy he might have.. but I'm pretty sure Jimmy is on all or most of that album.

Billy loves him.. calls him his creative spark. I don't think he'd play the drums when he has Chamberlin in his corner.

About drums I'm not sure. But yeah, Billy does love Jimmy so it wouldn't surprise me if Chamberlin played drums on all the songs and Billy did everything else. All I know is D'arcy and James weren't really a part of that album too much.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I think it was in Billy's blog that he kept for awhile, but I remember him talking about driving Jimmy to play better and better when Siamese Dream was being recorded... so I really doubt that Billy played the drums on the record. Jimmy is a fantastic drummer, drug problem or no, you don't not use someone like that when you have them in the band.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Yeah, Corgan is a work-a-holic. That's all he did during the Siamese Dream sessions, write music and bury himself with work. Had a really nice outcome though.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    oh yeah the pumpkins are back!
    90's rock baby
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • We need to keep the Pumpkins alive on the other music section!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577

With that being said, it is amazing how much better Corgan was, creatively, without him on "Adore" than he has been on anything since with him(Machina I, II and Zwan).

Siamese Dream was Billy and Chamberlain. D'Arcy and Iha almost quit after that because they really had pretty much no part in the studio recording of that album.
  • If anyone is interested heres a beatles cover the pumpkins did back in 1992 with EDDIE VEDDER on vocals...the song is called 'Ive got a feeling'

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e0js1d