New Bob Dylan released today

theboxerorthebagtheboxerorthebag Posts: 1,774
edited August 2006 in Other Music
So who has listened to it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'll have to wait until I get home, and then report back. I hope it's a good one! It's about time for some New Dylan! :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I bought it yesterday (Monday) because we have cool people at record stores in Tallahassee. Listened to it last night once and really enjoyed it.

It's not a huge leap from where Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft left off. NPR has had some nice features on it, if you care to listen.

Interesting tidbit: Bob Dylan produced his new record himself under the psuedonym Jack Frost.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Hey, I used to live in Tallahassee, what record store did you go to?
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I bought it yesterday (Monday) because we have cool people at record stores in Tallahassee. Listened to it last night once and really enjoyed it.

It's not a huge leap from where Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft left off. NPR has had some nice features on it, if you care to listen.

Interesting tidbit: Bob Dylan produced his new record himself under the psuedonym Jack Frost.

• CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Great, great album. I can't really stand Time Out of Mind, I never understood the obsession with that one. This one is diverse and his vocals sound good. The only song I heard before it came out was "Ain't Talkin" and that is the most raw his vocals ever get on the album.
  • thanks for the posts, I am stopping after work to get my copy!
  • i just picked mine up at best buy for 9.99 and it came with a 100 page booklet, ithink of album art from previous albums or something. haven't opened it yet as i just got home, but i will in a few.
  • rhinomagic wrote:

I see all three as part of a trilogy, planned or accidental. Modern Times is the best of the three albums, I think.
    i just picked mine up at best buy for 9.99 and it came with a 100 page booklet, ithink of album art from previous albums or something. haven't opened it yet as i just got home, but i will in a few.
    It is the cover art for all of his albums with the tracklisting and release date on the opposite page.
    Well, I'm on the track "someday baby" as of now, and I have to say... so far fanfucking tasic album. It's really well done musically and vocally. This albums music and vocals remind me of the oh mercy album, if I had to compare it to anything. But so far, this album is great and seems to be very well done musically. Maybe I will take my chances, and see Bob live again on this tour.
  • Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 238
    Just picked it up tonight, very solid album. About as good as his last two, which I also really enjoyed.

Got to see him live tonight for the first time as well. He was just unbelievable, doing so many classic songs I was hoping to hear: Like A Rolling Stone, Positively 4th Street, Rainy Day Women 12 & 35, Highway 61 Revisited, Tangled Up In Blue, Forever Young, Its Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You, a few others that I can't remember at the moment. Some of the songs were barely recognizable at first, but I loved how he changes the arrangements of the songs. The band jammed on every song with 3 guitars on most (Bob was on keyboards). Just a fantastic show, so glad I finally saw one of his concerts.
    Git a quick question: Is rollin and Tumblin a Muddy waters cover? (Eric clapton may have covered this on his unplugged album) if it's the cover like I think it is.
    and is the Leevies gonna break, a Led Zeppelin cover? The sound like the same lyrics or based on parts of the songs... just asking for clarification.

Thanks
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Hey, I used to live in Tallahassee, what record store did you go to?

When I want something a day or two before release, I shop at one of the CD Warehouse stores because their owner knows I am a regular customer.

When I want to buy records, I go to LP's Music & More or Vinyl Fever.

How long ago did you live here?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    red mos wrote:
    Git a quick question: Is rollin and Tumblin a Muddy waters cover? (Eric clapton may have covered this on his unplugged album) if it's the cover like I think it is.
    and is the Leevies gonna break, a Led Zeppelin cover? The sound like the same lyrics or based on parts of the songs... just asking for clarification.

Thanks
    According to the AMG review he did lift some parts of Rollin' from Muddy Waters but added mostly his own words. that is a very informative review to read if you are interested in getting a ton of detail on the album. It makes no mention of Levee relating to the Zeppelin song of a similar name.
  • Vinyl Fever! Oh boy, I loved that place! I can't even guess how much money I spent there, good to here it is still around. It has been a little over 10 years since I lived in Tallahassee.

rhinomagic wrote:
    When I want something a day or two before release, I shop at one of the CD Warehouse stores because their owner knows I am a regular customer.

When I want to buy records, I go to LP's Music & More or Vinyl Fever.

How long ago did you live here?

• Like A Rolling Stone, Positively 4th Street, Rainy Day Women 12 & 35, Highway 61 Revisited, Tangled Up In Blue, Forever Young, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
    Wow, really? You got lucky! I've seen Bob quite a few times and I've never seen him play quite so many "hits" in one night.

I'm really liking the new record, but then I love Time Out Of Mind and Love & Theft. The trilogy theory is making sense to me, Finsbury...

It's kind of low-key, I think it'll be a nice rainy day/Sunday morning with eggs kind of record.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • I am going to see him in Oct, I really hope I get Tangled up in Blue.
    Rambis35 wrote:
    Just picked it up tonight, very solid album. About as good as his last two, which I also really enjoyed.

Got to see him live tonight for the first time as well. He was just unbelievable, doing so many classic songs I was hoping to hear: Like A Rolling Stone, Positively 4th Street, Rainy Day Women 12 & 35, Highway 61 Revisited, Tangled Up In Blue, Forever Young, Its Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You, a few others that I can't remember at the moment. Some of the songs were barely recognizable at first, but I loved how he changes the arrangements of the songs. The band jammed on every song with 3 guitars on most (Bob was on keyboards). Just a fantastic show, so glad I finally saw one of his concerts.
  • I am going to see him in Oct, I really hope I get Tangled up in Blue.
    I'm thinking about it...I just wish he was playing some smaller venues on this tour.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts