Options

pandora.com - anyone checked this site out?

JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
edited January 2006 in Other Music
just flipping through the new rolling stone (with neil young on the cover) and i came across a little sidebar that had suggested pandora.com

basically it is a website where you can "create" your own streaming radio station.

type in a song or band and it will start playing stuff similar in style. i tried pearl jam, my morning jacket, godspeed you! black emperor, les savy fav, and you will know us by the trail of dead, aesop rock and even my friend's metal band (red chord) and they had streaming stuff for all of it.

for pearl jam, bands that played were guided by voices, nirvana, badfinger, tonic, u2, bush, audioslave and so on...there was some band (two gallants?) that i had never heard of...but i guess that is sort of the point.

definately something to check out...

** update - they just played billy joel on the "pearl jam channel" which i skipped, but now they are playing the gentlemen and they're from boston, so that's cool
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    There's a thread in the Porch about it too. I checked it out and I guess I'm going to spend some time there in the future.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    There's a thread in the Porch about it too. I checked it out and I guess I'm going to spend some time there in the future.

i figured someone else had to have posted about it. i spend more time here and AET than i do in the porch.
  • Options
    JSBE wrote:
    i figured someone else had to have posted about it. i spend more time here and AET than i do in the porch.

Don't worry, the more people see it the better, it's also good for checking bands out that I did'nt know before. I mean even well-known bands that I haven't heard any songs from, I can enter them there and the thing will play me a few of their songs and I can look whether I like their style or not.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    so its kind of like launchcast then
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    It is a nice little site, but if you spend any time with it, you will find out it is really weak overall. The best(and only really) use for it is to type in a band name of some random band you want to hear, you type it in and one song comes up, a nice sample of a band. But once you start trying to make your own station with multiple "sources", it becomes annoying. You can't skip an unlimited amount of songs, so if you skip too many in an hour, you are stuck listening to whatever comes on next. The "thumbs up/thumbs down" system simply doesn't work. I have given a thumbs down to dozens of songs and I still get that same song coming up later in that playlist. Giving the thumbs up doesn't seem to make that band/song play any more frequently either. Finally, their "similar artist" AI is horrible. I have typed in The Flaming Lips and a few songs in a Mandy Moore song comes up. Also I type in White Stripes and for some reason it creates a modern-country hit station.

If you want a radio that is actually useful(like listens to your likes/dislikes and lets you skip any song you don't like) use Yahoo's player. It is also free, the negative is having a 30 second commercial every 10 minutes or so, not bad at all.
    so its kind of like launchcast then
    No, Launchcast is much, much better.