Counting Crows. sweeeeeeet

i am mine, you arei am mine, you are Posts: 49
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Just started to think about Counting Crows the other day when I was trying to catch some sleep. Now, what really caught me was the though of a beautiful song; "Round here"
Wow, that song is amazing!
I love most of counting crows work but this song stands out a bit I think.
So damn beautiful!

"Step out the front door like a ghost
into the fog where no one notices
the contrast of white on white."

mmmm. sweeeeeeet! I can feel the taste of the words and it tastes sweeeeet. :D

Adam Duritz is a very talented storyteller. He's telling stories with his lyrics and he does it well.

Peace out.
Good-bye for now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    August and everything after was one of the very first albums i ever bought, still think its their best album, although the others are good too.

There have been loads of bands that over the years i have developed and then lost an interest in but i still listen to them now and again. Bought a new ipod yesterday and a.a.e.a was one of the first albums i put on it.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Too bad they are horrible live...
  • stu gee wrote:
    August and everything after was one of the very first albums i ever bought, still think its their best album, although the others are good too.

Yeah, I also think that August and everything after is their best album, though I like This desert life too. well I like all of them.

mmmmmmmmmm round here. i just can't get it out of my head. It's just soooooooooo good. :)
    Good-bye for now.
  • stpmattb wrote:

That's too bad. i've never seen them live. maybe it's for the best...
    Good-bye for now.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    stpmattb wrote:
    When I've seen them they've bordered between good and great. Depending how drunk Adam gets. They can jam like there's no tomorrow. Saw one concert and because Adam was a little too drunk the first 4 songs took 45 minutes. It was amazing.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • MishralMishral Posts: 211
    Yeah they are cool!
    Have not listen too intense to say i really know their music, but they sound really good.

Bad live, ey?
    Only heard a live recording, but on that one they sounded really good!
    "The things you own will end up owning you"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    surferdude wrote:
    When I've seen them they've bordered between good and great. Depending how drunk Adam gets. They can jam like there's no tomorrow. Saw one concert and because Adam was a little too drunk the first 4 songs took 45 minutes. It was amazing.

the show i saw from them alst summer was one of the most disappointing shows ive ever seen. i remember them being very good several years ago. but i think they played maybe 8-9 songs and stretched each one out forever while adam rambled (usually repeating the same lines over and over ad nauseum). im all for improv and jamming, but you've got to make it interesting and balance things. they did not.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    the show i saw from them alst summer was one of the most disappointing shows ive ever seen. i remember them being very good several years ago. but i think they played maybe 8-9 songs and stretched each one out forever while adam rambled (usually repeating the same lines over and over ad nauseum). im all for improv and jamming, but you've got to make it interesting and balance things. they did not.
    Sounds like Adam was annoying drunk. They hit that type of annoying jam later in the concert when Adam was a littl emore aware. But the early jamming was just the guitars and piano, quite impressive.

With Adam it's hit and miss. I've seen him blow the lyrics to Long December which basically wrecked the song and then deliver a spine tingling Rain King next.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    stpmattb wrote:

Have to agree.. saw them a while back and wasnt too impressed. They were good but not as good as I would have thought.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    They used to be one of my favorite bands. I still listen to them once in awhile......

Adam is different live. He doesn't sing......he just talks & says the lyrics. Veyr differnt from the studio albums.

I remember he was on Stern once & told a story about Eddie. I guess there was a Crows song in a Coke commercial. At a benefit show, Eddie went into his dressing room & left him a book about soda companies being evil. Adam said they were always cool & got along before that.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • i saw them back on the recovering tour. amazing is all i have to say. but i stopped listening to them (well i still listen. don't buy the new albums. not really into the whole adult contemporary top 40 shit they do now) after their third album.

it's a shame. they were a great band back then.
  • it seems that they are a little bit more "pop" these days. but i must say that i actully like Hard Candy, tough still, my favourite is August and everything after (nice title by the way).

mmmmmm round here.

gosh, i am starting to loose my voice. i sound like an old lady who have been smoking too much and have been drinking too much whiskey... i'm ill. going to sleep now..
    nighty nighty
    Good-bye for now.
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    stpmattb wrote:

Word! I think the only one worse is snoop dogg...course is that really considered a live act or a circus? Hey I had free tickets and some acid so I decided to check out some hip hop. But to the original point, I've seen CC live a couple of times and they've sucked all the time live.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    stpmattb wrote:
    and that is an idiot who does not know how good the crows are live and why their live cds are the creme de le creme of live albums. you're probably the narrow minded jackass that doesnt like how each song live is totally different than the album.

is it because they dont do 30 songs?

they certainly mix it up.

just released heinken hall is a fucking gem!
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    hobbes wrote:
    i saw them back on the recovering tour. amazing is all i have to say. but i stopped listening to them (well i still listen. don't buy the new albums. not really into the whole adult contemporary top 40 shit they do now) after their third album.

it's a shame. they were a great band back then.
    i am ashamed the you like pearl jam as uninformed as your statements above are.

apparently shrek 2 and big fish are completely different hypocryte.
  • I used to respect them until they put out that Shrek soundtrack junk "Accidentally in Love" and that horrible cover of "Big Yellow Taxi." That shite puts them in Phil Collins territory imo.
    I used to respect them until they put out that Shrek soundtrack junk "Accidentally in Love" and that horrible cover of "Big Yellow Taxi." That shite puts them in Phil Collins territory imo.
    last kiss
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    and that is an idiot who does not know how good the crows are live and why their live cds are the creme de le creme of live albums. you're probably the narrow minded jackass that doesnt like how each song live is totally different than the album.

is it because they dont do 30 songs?

they certainly mix it up.

just released heinken hall is a fucking gem!

heineken hall was the most disappointing release i bought last year. even my friend, a die hard crows fan, was disappointed with the show we saw. i dont mind songs sounding different from the album version, if it's good. but it's not. adam rambles. he doesnt sing. he doesnt even improv... he must've said "cos when i think of heaven" 50 times in a row during rain king. that WAS the jam. adam SAYING (not singing) that line over and over and over and over... then going back to the regular song. they just weren't good. they played MAYBE 9-10 songs. and they ALL had the same worthless and repetitive jams.

i saw them in 2000 on the desert life tour and they were NOT like this. they were incredible that night. they jammed and rocked out and improv'd and everything. it was one of the best shows id seen. but their last show was atrocious. i had high hopes, and it was the worst show ive paid money to see in a long time. i like the crows, i wanted to like the show, and being a jam band fan, i am a-ok with changing things up and stretching them up for a live show. but they were just boring and frustrating.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I finally got round to unpacking a load of boxes that have been in my attic since I moved house recently and in one of the boxes I found a load of old concert ticket stubs. One of them was for Counting Crows supported by Cracker at the Newport Centre in South Wales on November 11th 1994 and it's got Adam Duritz's singnature on the back of it. We were waiting around after the show for our lift to come to pick us up and Adam just appeared out of a side door, unannounced and on his own, and started chatting to us. He was asking us about where we were from and how far we'd travelled for the show and what we thought of Cracker (they were touring the 'Kerosene Hat' cd at the time) just like any other fan would if you met up in a bar after a show. I remember we laughed at David Lowery (Cracker's singer, one of the most underrated frontmen imo) quite a bit. He was having an amazingly intense show and broke strings on his guitar three songs in a row. Adam said he'd hate to be a Cracker roadie because of the beatings that Lowery was giving his guitars on that tour! He thanked us for taking the time to make the journey to see them play (even though it's only about an hour from Swansea to Newport) and stayed talking to us until we left.
    I have to say that he was one of the nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met and it was an experience, and a conversation, that I will never forget.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)