Advice on getting to know Wilco?

oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
edited March 2008 in Other Music
So, I've been told by too many people that I need to become familiar with Wilco because they are phenomenal. I looked at their discography and it is extensive so my question is where should I start? Any suggestions are welcomed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kicking Television - Live In Chicago
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    There are like two sides two Wilco. Their early stuff - A.M., Being There, and Summerteeth.

And their later more experiemental stuff - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born.

I actually think a very good Wilco starting point would be with their newest album, Sky Blue Sky. It's accessible, but rocks pretty hard and Nels Cline rips it on lead guitar.

Then maybe I'd go Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost Is Born, Being There, and A.M.

Even thought A.M. I think is my all time favorite.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Kicking Television Live in Chicago

It is like telling someone to check out live on two legs for pearl jam.

It gives you a little taste of all their albums except sky blue sky because that came out after it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'll third the Kicking Television suggestion. I personally started with Kicking Television because 1.) It was brand new at the time, and 2.) I couldn't pick one album to start with. It's very light on material outside of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born (I think AM was completely ignored), but it's still a great introduction.

You may also want to search the message pit since there's been a mini flood of Wilco talk lately. You'll probably get some more ideas from those threads.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    There are like two sides two Wilco. Their early stuff - A.M., Being There, and Summerteeth.

And their later more experiemental stuff - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born.

It's hard for me to group Summerteeth with the two albums before it. I think it belongs in the middle w/ YHF and Ghost because it is so vastly different from A.M. and Being There--like comparing country to pop/rock in some cases. I would, however, put the Mermaid Avenue recordings in with the first two albums. Then the third pairing I would make would include Kicking Television and Sky Blue Sky.

The live show is what makes Wilco so captivating to me. I would suggest to the OP to download some bootlegs as you go through the band's catalogue, too. That'll help you understand some of their progression.

Don't try to do it all at once. It may take several months to digest mass quantities of Wilco. ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will start with Kicking Television. When I first got into My Morning Jacket, I started with their live album, Okonokos, and I think that was a wise move. So, I like the idea of starting with Wilco's live album. Thanks again!
  • HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    oktacoma wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will start with Kicking Television. When I first got into My Morning Jacket, I started with their live album, Okonokos, and I think that was a wise move. So, I like the idea of starting with Wilco's live album. Thanks again!

I would start with Summer Teeth and AGIB. You are going to love Sky Blue Sky when you get to it. Any joe should be able to pick up that album and say, "I really like this".
    Give AGIB 5 listens. Sitdown with Spiders(Kid Smoke) and feel what they are doing...At Least That's What You Said has the best Neil Young solo ever. He hits all the wrong notes at just the right time revealing a sense of melody that few can create. It is a spectacular album if you have the patience to listen...Hummingbird and Theologians will be favorites.

Have fun.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Dig the wilco, one of the best bands out there right now.

I would get these, probably in this order.

summerteeth (really the first record where the band establishes its identity)
    yankee
    sky
    ghost
    being there
    AM
    mermaid ave

As far as live shows go, they are available all over the net and better than kicking television IMHO

the charlottesville show from 10/20/07 is great as is the 2/16/08 show in Chicago

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=510502
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I can't really rank Wilco albums. Because they each have a unique sound.

I think the live album is a good choice. Also, watching 'I am trying to break your heart' couldn't hurt either.
    Cock Fight.
  • I think Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a good place to start. All songs on there are good or great.

Also, there is usually a live show or two to stream on their website.

http://wilcoworld.net/roadcase/index_main.php
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    i'd go with Kicking Television or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot first. if you approve of those, whichever direction you then go in, you'll prob like it.
  • I would suggest offering to take them out for a drink and maybe a movie
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I went out and bought Summerteeth and Kicking Television today. I've listened to the first four songs on summerteeth so far and it sounds pretty good. Looking forward to a long day of Wilco. :D
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    i bought Sky Blue Sky not too long ago... also after being told by a million people that I needed to hear Wilco.

i gotta say, i didn't love it immediately. I have to give it another few goes.... :o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • oktacoma wrote:
    So, I've been told by too many people that I need to become familiar with Wilco because they are phenomenal. I looked at their discography and it is extensive so my question is where should I start? Any suggestions are welcomed.

why do people always describe wilco as "phenomenal"???

just as a note CEG, the people who describe wilco as "phenomenal" to me know nothing about/have barely a passing interest in music.
    why do people always describe wilco as "phenomenal"???

just as a note CEG, the people who describe wilco as "phenomenal" to me know nothing about/have barely a passing interest in music.

Care to expand on that thought? Why wouldn't fans describe Wilco as phenomenal? Or are you just trying to pick a fight?;)

To the original poster: Good choices on your first purchases. Those are the very two albums I started out with (though I got to know the live album really well before hearing ST for the first time).
  • soclose wrote:
    Care to expand on that thought? Why wouldn't fans describe Wilco as phenomenal? Or are you just trying to pick a fight?;)

To the original poster: Good choices on your first purchases. Those are the very two albums I started out with (though I got to know the live album really well before hearing ST for the first time).

no I mean the exact word "phenomenal."
    no I mean the exact word "phenomenal."

I think I understand what you mean now. I had no idea this was the most common adjective to describe Wilco. Not a word I use . . . ever.:)
  • soclose wrote:
    I think I understand what you mean now. I had no idea this was the most common adjective to describe Wilco. Not a word I use . . . ever.:)

yeah, me either.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    yeah, me either.
    well
    they are one of the few bands whose music ranges from country, to alt, to light rock, to hard rock, to folk

and live you get the whole package
    and Tweedys lyrics often hit right to the heart

I am listening to

"how to fight lonliness" from summer teeth

it is one of the most beautiful songs Ive ever heard

EDIT: Oh yeah
    they also have three of the best musicians out there right now
    Nels Cline-lead
    Glenn Kotchke-drums AMAZING
    and tweedy-singer songwriter
  • Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Wilco is phenomical/fantastical.

Best. Band. Out right now.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Wilco is phenomical/fantastical.

Best. Band. Out right now.

QFT.
    Cock Fight.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    phenomical.

You said it! :D

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    to appreciate how far they've come musically, listen to the following in order:
    being there
    summerteeth
    yankee
    ghost is born
    sky blue sky