Recommendations for new bands?

oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
edited March 2007 in Other Music
The thread on your 10 favorite new bands has inspired me to start this one. I'm always looking for new bands to get into but I just don't have time to listen to a bunch of new stuff trying to figure out what I like. Can any of you recommend some really good new bands (or even not so new) based on the bands I list below (in no order), which are some bands /artists I am really into? Thanks!

Wolfmother
Silversun Pickups
The Shins
Nine Inch Nails
The Raconteurs
The White Stripes
PJ (obviously)
Foo Fighters
Blind Melon
Ben Folds Five
The Black Crowes
Coldplay
The Cure
Jack Johnson
Red Hot Chili Peppers
U2
Weezer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BetterRadioBetterRadio Posts: 189
    Tiger Army
    They're gonna tell you where to walk
    When to smile and just what to say
    They say have your own fun...

Need vinyl, doggs.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Band-And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead
    Album- Source Tags & Codes
    Single Song to Check Out- Relative Ways

Built To Spill
    Perfect From know on
    Broken Chairs

My Morning Jacket (with all the hype they got around here you have probably already tried them)
    It Still Moves ( Z is a better album but It still moves has greater songs if that makes sense)
    One Big Holiday
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Based on the list you posted, I think the following bands might be right up your alley:

The Hold Steady
    Drive-By Truckers
    The Tragically Hip
    Sam Roberts
    Matt Mays & El Torpedo
    Ben Harper
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    how could i forget if you like wolfmother and want something just a little heavier (think black sabbath) go with The Sword

The Sword
    Age of Winters
    Iron Swan
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Thanks to everyone who has posted so far! I will definitely check some of those artists out. Any other suggestions are definitely appreciated as well.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Band - Album

Not so new:
    Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me, Where You Been
    Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion, Dust

Newer:
    Black Keys - Rubber Factory
    Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium, Amputechture (Frances the Mute is also great, but less accessible in my opinion)
    Pearls & Brass - the Indian Tower (if you like Wolfmother, you should like these guys - think Sabbath meets La Grange era ZZ Top)

You should aslo check out PJ Harvey. Best female rock singer out there in my opinion.
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    oktacoma wrote:
    The thread on your 10 favorite new bands has inspired me to start this one. I'm always looking for new bands to get into but I just don't have time to listen to a bunch of new stuff trying to figure out what I like. Can any of you recommend some really good new bands (or even not so new) based on the bands I list below (in no order), which are some bands /artists I am really into? Thanks!

Wolfmother
    Silversun Pickups
    The Shins
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Raconteurs
    The White Stripes
    PJ (obviously)
    Foo Fighters
    Blind Melon
    Ben Folds Five
    The Black Crowes
    Coldplay
    The Cure
    Jack Johnson
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    U2
    Weezer

Have you heard of PEARL JAM?

They are AWESOME!
    too obvious???
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    As ever I will suggest the album Powder Burns by The Twilight Singers, soulful anthemic rock of the very highest order.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Midlake
    The Veils
    The Decemberists
    Blackfield
    Grinderman
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    More heavier stuff you may enjoy:

Clutch: Go with Blast Tyrant or Clutch first. Then go for Slow Hole To China (only available from their website) and Elephant Riders. They have a new album coming out on Tuesday as well. Should be a smoker, but can't say for sure.

Corrosion of Conformity: In The Arms of God, Deliverance, and Wiseblood. These guys rock real hard, with a cool southern boogie vibe in the background. Black Flag, Black Sabbath, and ZZ Top thrown into a blender.

Grady: Punk blues? Check out http://www.shadygrady.net. You can stream three songs from their latest album, and d/l two songs from their first album.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    you should get the new Modest Mouse album.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    May be obvious but:

Libertines
    My morning jacket
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    CLUTCH. new album is amazing (i've had it for a few months). all their records are different so it's always something new. i like Jam Room and Robot Hive/Exodus the most.

ONLY LIVING WITNESS. the East Coasts' answer to grunge in the early/mid 90s.. no joke here.

MILLIGRAM. singer from Witness. amazing amazing band. get This Is Class War. what punk/stoner music should sound like.

TEETH OF MAMMALS. my friend's band.. had to plug them in here. http://www.myspace.com/teethofmammals

PELICAN. stoner instrumental band from Chicago. lots of LONGASS songs. amazing.