Which band should I check out next?

2»

Comments

• JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Bell X1 - Flock
    The Frames - Fitzcarraldo
    The Jimmy Cake - Spectre & Crown
    Mark Lanegan - Whiskey For The Holy Ghost

based on what you like, which is what i like. somewhat of an Irish bias maybe but i genuinely come back to those specific albums all the time.

all varied, cool albums. Bell X1 have great lyrics, bit of a TalkingHeads-ish vibe to them..Fitzcarraldo is the Frames's heaviest (relative term), most riff-oriented album, and has some stellar tracks on it.

Spectre & Crown is a masterpiece. kind of a Mogwai / Trail of Dead thing going on. except miles better
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Gomez - In Our gun
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    Seeing as how the Black Keys have been mentioned numerous times, I'll go with Local H. Thier new CD, 12 Angry Months, is awesome.
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Based on some suggestions from this thread, this is what I checked out and what I think so far:

Dredg - Good musicians but not really for me
    Minus the Bear - Dig it, but need to hear more
    Arcade Fire - Heard both albums once and really liked them. Need to listen to them again
    Wintersleep - Pretty good but a little dreary for me
    The National - Not really for me...a bit too slow
    MGMT - Very funky album...kinda goofy in many ways but I'm digging it so far

I really like bands that can Rock like Kings of Leon, MMJ, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I've found some good bands from this thread. What can you tell me about these bands that I've heard a lot about but haven't gotten into yet?

The Strokes
    Yo La Tengo
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Young & Restless
    The Kills
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
  • Roger Clyne & The peacemakers
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    oktacoma wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I've found some good bands from this thread. What can you tell me about these bands that I've heard a lot about but haven't gotten into yet?

The Strokes
    Yo La Tengo
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Young & Restless
    The Kills
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Yo La Tengo is a great band. They've been around for over 20 years so have a lot of music to choose from. Painful and I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One are good places to start.

http://www.yolatengo.com
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The Black Keys,The Black Lips, MGMT, Vampire Weekend are the best of all of those. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular is easily the best record I have got so far this year and could remain the best of the year for me............so I suggest them the most out of all that you listed.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pearljammin41pearljammin41 Posts: 465
    ever listened to Menudo?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    oktacoma wrote:

The Strokes
    Yo La Tengo
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Young & Restless
    The Kills
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

The Strokes are absolutely amazing, dont like the rest of those bands really though I have never heard Yo La Tengo. For The Strokes, check these songs out first.........The Modern Age, Someday, Barely Legal, Reptilia, You Talk Way Too Much, You Only Live Once, Juicebox, Heart In A Cage, Ask Me Anything
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    oktacoma wrote:

The Strokes
    Yo La Tengo
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Young & Restless
    The Kills
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

I love the Kaiser Chiefs, altho i did find them a little annoying when I first heard them, but theyre fantastic live and all of their songs are very upbeat and riff-oriented. Oh My God, I Predict A Riot, The Modern Way, Everyday I Love You Less & Less, and Ruby would be their best known songs and the best way to start to listen to them.

CYHSY have too much hype around them. Along with Vampire Weekend, i just dont see the hype. Have seen them live too and never thought much of em, I could just be missing something though.

The Kills have some great songs, alot of filler tho. Very much an "image" over substance band
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Kaiser Chiefs blow....The black keys MUST be checked out. Really good rock in there. The Black Angels are a real cool band you might like too.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • gus stillsgus stills Posts: 351
    Check out Pinback. Good songs: Good to Sea, Penelope, Fortress...all are on their myspace if I remember correctly. If you want to check out some good northwest music, try browsing around on northwestnoise.com. All kinds of reviews, mp3's, artist links, etc...