Bob dylan live

BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I know there are quite a few Bob Dylan lovers here, has anyone seen him on the modern times tour? I've never seen him at all so not sure how good he is live and how his voice is and if it's worth the hefty price. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I haven't seen him on this tour, but I saw him two years ago and the show was great. His voice was good for a 63 year old singer who's been singing for almost 50 years. However, I am biased as I am a Dylan fan and jump at an opportunity to see him live. The other thing I love about him is how the sets change nightly. For a guy his age (as well as being a legend), he could just play the same songs in the same order night after night, but he does put the effort in to playing different songs. He does mostly stand behind his keyboard and sings from there. Not much movement, but that didn't really bother me. Plus, I love the arrangements for his older stuff.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Just saw Dylan the other night in Hershey. I always enjoy his shows. Some folks say his voice is shot, I think he sounds like a white Howlin' Wolf. If you've heard his voice on Modern Times, Time Out of Mind, and Love And Theft, i's similar to that.

After several years of just playing keyboards live, Dylan has picked his strat up again. It's only for t first 4 or 5 songs per night, but it's nice to see him play guitar again.

Something to kep in mind though, is that he frequently changes the musical arrangements to his songs. For example, the version of Honest With Me from the other night, didn't even have the main riff/lick that is played throughout the studio version. It still rockd, but it was different, and I couldn't place it until he started singing. Supposedly Blowin' In Th Wind is being played in a psuedo blues fashion. We didn't get it in Hershey though, we got LARS instead. Not only does he change the musical arrangements, but he often changes the delivery of the lyrics as well, placing emphasis on different phrases/words from night to night. Just another way to keep things fresh and interesting for himself and the band.

The bottom line is if you are looking for note perfect reproductions of Essential Bob Dylan, or some other greatest hits package, stay away. He doesn't play a lot of hits, and when he does, they are usually reworked. If you like his work as a whole, and are interested in seeing a band bend, stretch, and reinterpret the material, then go.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Saw Bob in a small club last year. Fucking great. His re-arranging of his songs is great. Sometimes, it takes a few bars to recognize the song being his voice isn't what it used to be.

On a side note, Bob and his band have rehearsed the last 2 tours and Modern Times (before recording it) at a small theater for a week or so at a time in the town where I work.

My Daughter ran into him in the mall. Just writing that is weird! Ran into Bob Dylan at the Mall. He was wearing all black and a wide brimmed hat. He said hello, smiled. I love where I live, lots of musicians/bands/actors call this home, record here or visit here. It is great to get a chance to see talented artist in small venues or pitch in for local causes.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • he played at the borgata last weekend...i wonder how it was
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I saw Bob at the Houston Rodeo in the Astrodome back in 2002. I thought the shows was pretty good, but my parents would beg to differ. I'm a bigger Dylan fan than they are though.
    I'm not gonna lie to you Dylan is real hit or miss, and maybe I just feel like this cause Dylan had a hard time getting into the show, and it was the rodeo is a western deal normally and the bands always play shorter sets.
    He didn't say a single word to the crowd at all, but I've been told that's just typically Dylan, he doesn't really talk to the crowd a whole bunch if he does at all.
    As an above poster said, Dylan and his band constantly change their musicall arrangements which is cool, it's just hard to tell sometimes what he is playing until he starts singing.
    I hope to see Dylan again at a theater show where he plays a longer set, but I just wanted to let you know he can be hit or miss. The setlist may be great, but it's sometimes a gamble. His voice was pretty good when I saw him, but it took awhile for Dylan and the audience to connect. I've probably seen the shortest Dylan set ever too cause since it was a rodeo he only played 12 songs. The band did Mess up on Lay Lady Lay, (they played it normal like on essential and Nashville skyline, but "Rainy day women #12 and #35" had an awesome blues rock feel to it, as did "All along the watchtower" I'd honestly say go see him, cause you never know when it will be too late. I'm glad I saw him even though the whole vibe was kinda weird. Tickets were 20 bucks, and that was a deal cause no one will probably ever see Dylan for that price again.
    Watch some you tube footage, of Dylan in the recent years like 2000-2007 and that may help you make your decision as well, so that way you can at least see an idea of what his live shows are like.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I saw and heard him last summer. He and his band were quite good.

I think it's interesting how he re-arranged most of his old songs though. If I didn't know the words so well, I might have missed them. The melodies were soooo different, often the metres were different, and what was left was the words and the chord progressions. It was a good concert though. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    i was at the hershey show. i consider myself a huge dylan fan, behind pearl jam my favorite musician/band. anyway this was actually my first time seeing him live and i'll give you my non-biased opinion. note that all of this may not hold true for all his shows but at least for this particular one. i thought the music was great; like other people mentioned he changes a lot of the arrangements on his older songs. i wouldn't have even recognized "it ain't me babe" if it weren't for the fact that i was listening to the lyrics. that was the only song that bothered me cause i'm a huge fan of the song and i didn't really think the new arrangement held up to the orinigal. anyway, aside from the music, his voice is shot. it's understandable given his age, so it doesn't bother me too much, but i'm not gonna tell you he sounds great because that would be a lie.........the show was extremely short, just under 2 hours, and i noticed that dylan did not say one word to the audience the entire show. i don't need him to be talking after every song because that could get annoying, but there was no hello, how's everyone doing or anything like that. i'm not trying to bitch about it but it was just a little odd that he seemed to give no appreciation to the audience. that will bring me to the worst part of the show, and it was the crowd. the crowd really put a damper on the mood for me. i was orignally sitting down on the floor in the back right in the aisle, but i ended up moving to the lawn cause i wanted to smoke some pot, and there was a lot of security around me. anyway there was a big walk way right in front of the lawn and it was non stop people walking to the bathrooms/food/beer stands etc. major distraction, and it truely seemed like a good 65% of the audience didn't give a shit about the show, and were only there to be there to hang out/drink/smoke, whatever. anyway all in all i'm happy i went, cause i got to see dylan in person, and the music didn't disappoint, but i wish he would've played longer and i wish the crowd didn't suck so bad. but to answer your question, if you're a dylan fan, you should at least check him out once. i don't know how much tickets for the other shows were but these tickets were cheap, and well worth it, even with the downfalls.

and another thing, i saw someone say he changes his sets up a lot, and that may have been true...but i checked the sets for this tour before i went to hershey and ended up calling out a lot of the songs. and he's done the same encore for all the sets that i looked at. thunder on the mountain into watchtower.

oh and highway 61 revisited was the highlight of the show.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm seeing him at our bluesfest because, well, why not! I think it'll be good, but I'm mainly going to say I saw Bob Dylan, as I'm a casual fan at best.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    i noticed that dylan did not say one word to the audience the entire show. i don't need him to be talking after every song because that could get annoying, but there was no hello, how's everyone doing or anything like that. i'm not trying to bitch about it but it was just a little odd that he seemed to give no appreciation to the audience. that will bring me to the worst part of the show, and it was the crowd. the crowd really put a damper on the mood for me. i was originally sitting down on the floor in the back
    I have seen Bob a few times, the most interaction you are gonna get is the band introduction. He may say one or two words then, but thats it.
    At the club show I saw in 2004, he was talkative,
    "Hello Friends!" Then he introduced the band with a brief sentence about each player. He even made a little joke. "This is Larry Campbell, he went downtown to get a Bicycle for his Wife today, I'd say the shop owner got a good deal"
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • I saw him a year ago and he was great.

He had jimmy vaughn (SRV's brother... :rolleyes: ) open. A fucking hour of hearing that bastard.

At one point he said to the crowd "Are there any HOT ROD WOMEN out there tonight?"

I replied, loudly, : "HOW OLD ARE YOU??" he gave me the look of death I tell you.

But yeah, Dylan was fantastic. Too bad he only plays keyboards now (live).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • PJ_Lukin wrote:
    "This is Larry Campbell, he went downtown to get a Bicycle for his Wife today, I'd say the shop owner got a good deal"
    :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    i wouldn't have even recognized "it ain't me babe" if it weren't for the fact that i was listening to the lyrics. that was the only song that bothered me cause i'm a huge fan of the song and i didn't really think the new arrangement held up to the orinigal.

The last time I saw him do It Ain't Me, Babe was back in '04 when he opened for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. That version was attrocious. He gasped the chorus each time. Never wanted to hear that song again, it was that bad. The version in Herhsey was such a redemption for that song though.
    and another thing, i saw someone say he changes his sets up a lot, and that may have been true...but i checked the sets for this tour before i went to hershey and ended up calling out a lot of the songs. and he's done the same encore for all the sets that i looked at. thunder on the mountain into watchtower.

Yeah, the first four or so shows into a tour are somewhat predictable. Once Bob gets comfortable though, things start to open up. Granted he's mixed things up more on other tours. This year's repetoir is up to 60 songs, compared to 110 in '05 and 79 in '06 (all with the same backing band). And he really needs to change up the Thunder On The Mountain/Watchtower encore. Thunder would make a cool opener, and Watchtower needs a break after closing out 90% of the shows the last few years. Check out this link for some interesting tour stats: http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/songpfm.html
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I think his voice as kinda gone to crap and I dont really like that he doesnt play the guitar anymore really but I still would consider seeing him live just because he is a legend.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I am a pretty huge Dylan fan and haver seen him live about 10 times since my first show at the Beacon Theater in 1995. That is still the best show of his that I have been to. I've seen him in as large a venue as MSG & Jones Beach in NY(20,000 people) and the the Orpheum and Avalon in Boston (a few thousand, and I was like 10 feet from him the whole time at the Avalon. He has insanely skinny legs, but that's another discussion)

The concert have been "hit or miss" but I have loved them all and I have tickets to go this Friday night in Jones Beach. True, the songs tend not to sound like they do on the records, but you goto a show and you never know what ytou are gonna hear or how it will be sung. He has so many classic and great songs that even a casual fan will know some songs (although they may sometimes not recognize the song they know...) His band is really tight, and when Bob has a good night and you can make out the words he is saying, the show can be really awesome.

I'd go to 10 shows a tour if I could...and I would only do that for PJ and Springsteen.
    coming up

MSG 1
    Ringo the next night in Boston
    Hartford
    Boston 1 & 2

hell's yeah...
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    In short- I think it's worth the ticket price, but it's a much different show than in years past. I have seen Bob a few times and we were fortunate to have front row seats in Oct (?) during the Modern Times tour. It was a great show and he mixed the setlist up well. He is definately showing his age and didn't move much - he would occasionally stick his finger in the air as he opened his leg from the hip and as always has little to no eye contact with the audience. It was peculiar to see him in a semi-matching outfit to his bandmates- though his did have some bling and was slightly different than the other guys. He is still a legend in my mind and that justifies the ticket price. The crowd sat during his show and they didn't seem to get the opening acts (it was Raconteurs in Philadelphia). It was cool to see a lot of parents taking their teenagers and also to meet some of the 50-60 year olds who were doing just as I do for Pearl Jam and travelling to city after city for the next show...
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Blyss wrote:
    I know there are quite a few Bob Dylan lovers here, has anyone seen him on the modern times tour? I've never seen him at all so not sure how good he is live and how his voice is and if it's worth the hefty price. Thanks.
    I've seen him in April this year in Amsterdam. His voice is really terrible. Sometimes I thought he was going to grunt. Nevertheless I was glad to see him and his band live...not a superb show, but a decent one.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
    He really mixed things up (except the encore) for last night's gig:

Florence, Massachusetts
    Frank Newhall Look Memorial Park
    Pines Theatre
    June 26, 2007

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on violin)
    2. The Times They Are A-Changin' (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    4. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on violin, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    5. Every Grain Of Sand (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    6. The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
    7. Shelter From The Storm (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    8. Things Have Changed (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on violin)
    9. Masters Of War (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    10. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on keyboard and harp, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    11. Desolation Row (Bob on keyboard and harp, Donnie on electric mandolin,
    Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    12. Cry A While (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on violin, Tony on standup bass)
    13. When The Deal Goes Down (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    14. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)

(encore)
    15. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    16. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)

The only repeats from the previous night in Hershey are I't Alright Ma, Highway 61, and the encore. Tangled Up In Blue and Shelter From The Storm are the only others that have been played since the US tour kicked off.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    The Vacant wrote:
    He really mixed things up (except the encore) for last night's gig:

Florence, Massachusetts
    Frank Newhall Look Memorial Park
    Pines Theatre
    June 26, 2007

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on violin)
    2. The Times They Are A-Changin' (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    4. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on violin, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    5. Every Grain Of Sand (Bob on electric guitar, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    6. The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
    7. Shelter From The Storm (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    8. Things Have Changed (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on violin)
    9. Masters Of War (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    10. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on keyboard and harp, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    11. Desolation Row (Bob on keyboard and harp, Donnie on electric mandolin,
    Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    12. Cry A While (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on violin, Tony on standup bass)
    13. When The Deal Goes Down (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    14. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)

(encore)
    15. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    16. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)

The only repeats from the previous night in Hershey are I't Alright Ma, Highway 61, and the encore. Tangled Up In Blue and Shelter From The Storm are the only others that have been played since the US tour kicked off.

That's a sick setlist :D Awesome.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • i've seen dylan five times live: '01 and '02 (both at MSG), twice in '06 (east rutherford and NY city center), and most recently last weekend at the borgata.

given the ticket prices and his declining performance, it's something i'd really only recommend to hardcore fans and people who need the experience of seeing dylan in person (which should be mandatory for everyone, in my opinion).

his voice is about the same as you've heard on modern times. that in itself isn't what people will be disappointed by. the problem for some fans is that he no longer makes an attempt to follow the vocal lines in his older songs. he approaches them more as spoken-word poetry readings than as vocal performances. also, he mumbles a lot so it's impossible to follow the lyrics unless you know them all to begin with.

luckily, the band behind him is ridiculously good. they pick up a lot of the slack. even if bob's personal performance isn't what it once was, all music fans should be able to appreciate these guys. hell, i'd pay to see them perform without bob! they're that good (especially the drummer).

when dylan toured for "love and theft," his sets were closer to pearl jam's length (two and a half to three hours). he was able to get in more songs per set and the band would jam out extensively on each one. and bob would play guitar the whole time, which was cool. if these were the types of shows he was still playing, i'd recommend them to everyone. but he's getting old, and i guess he just can't handle that type of routine anymore. his sets are usually an hour and a half to two hours, and it looks like he really needs that keyboard to prop himself up. but he's still very good about setlist variation, and for that reason i would go to multiple shows per tour if i could afford it (which i can't).
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    If you divide what I paid for my pass by 3, (the minimum number of shows I'm seeing), I'm paying $35 to see him. Not bad at all!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V