Options

She's the One by Tom Petty

barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I'm listening to this album right now, and man it rocks at every possible way, really. Sometimes I think this is even greater than Wildflowers, which I use to think is my fave Petty album... the songs have such an urgency, the band sounds tight and powerful... this should be one of the most underrated titles in Petty's discography, maybe even by himself... would it be because it was made for a movie? The Beck and Lucinda Williams covers sound great under Petty's treatment, and his originals are just stellar.
Give it a chance if you haven't. Great album.
Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
-The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
although, God knows, I may not have met her"
-J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The 'Circus' version of 'Walls' with Lindsey Buckingham on the background vocals is really great.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    I rediscovered that album on my road trip last summer. I hadn't listened to it in years, and when I had, I wasn't fond of it. Whatever 'Walls' version that was played on the radio was played *all* the time when it came out and I think that soured me on the record.

But on that trip my road companion put it in and it was like uncovering a lost fortune. There really isn't a bad song on there.

I WILL argue that Wildflowers is still the better record though.
  • Options
    I have to listen to that again, it's been too long. Walls is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The storytellers version is amazing.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I have to listen to that again, it's been too long.
    same here. it just isn't the one I grab when I need a Petty fix but perhaps it just needs a little revisit.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    "She'll do everything to make you feel like an asshole"
    man, I really dunno if I like it or hate it when I have a crush on someone... anyway, this album is a good company to that feeling.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"