Options

Bauhaus... anyone??

barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
edited December 2005 in Other Music
I don't think I've ever seen on the forum a thread devoted to this legendary band.
Well, last night I had the chance to go to see them live and though the sound could've been better, the concert was too short and the audience was partially lame, on the musical aspect it was simply awesome.
Daniel Ash, their guitar player, really shocked me, it's unbelievable all the sounds he can get out of his guitar at once, though the notes are simple is amazing how many strings he's playing at the same time. Peter Murphy's voice is so deep and unique.
If you haven't listened to them, you're really missing something great, I'd recommend to search songs like She's In Parties, Kick in the Eye, Hollow Hills, and their biggest hit Bela Lugosi Is Dead (if you have seen the movie The Hunger, you've heard this one.)
The only downpart of the show (and a pretty shameful one), was they closed with their cover of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, and at the end of the song Murphy reached the microphone to the audience to have a grand finale with all the crowd singin' "Ziggy played guitar".... and nobody answered!! I had to yell "Ziggy played guitar" twice and nobody seemed to react... wtf!!
Well, does someone else here has some appreciation for Bauhaus??
Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
-The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
although, God knows, I may not have met her"
-J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Wow, how in the hell could you listen to Bauhaus enough to see them live and not know Ziggy Stardust. I hear you, WTF is right. That reminds me of a buddy of mine who is a rather large music fan never heard 'Just Like Heaven' until he heard it on a Goldfinger cover CD.

I can't claim to be more than a casual fan. I have a double CD of theirs, a compilation that I do break out on occasion. I didn't know they were touring or back together for that matter.

I will admit to listening to Love and Rockets more. Express is one hell of a CD. I never heard any of Murphy solo.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    Wow, how in the hell could you listen to Bauhaus enough to see them live and not know Ziggy Stardust. I hear you, WTF is right. That reminds me of a buddy of mine who is a rather large music fan never heard 'Just Like Heaven' until he heard it on a Goldfinger cover CD.

I can't claim to be more than a casual fan. I have a double CD of theirs, a compilation that I do break out on occasion. I didn't know they were touring or back together for that matter.

I will admit to listening to Love and Rockets more. Express is one hell of a CD. I never heard any of Murphy solo.

yeah, I don't know what the hell happens with the audience at certain concerts, it really annoyed me they left Murphy hanging the mic and waiting for the crowd to sing the final verse of Ziggy, I felt so ashamed... similar -worst- thing happened on Saturday, I went to see a spanish singer who did 2 covers from the Velvet Underground (Venus in Furs & Femme Fatale), 1 from the Doors (Break on Through) and 1 from the Stooges (Now I Wanna Be Your Dog), the concert was being awesome with some very personal arrengements to these songs and the crowd was like "c'mon, man, shut up!! only covers? what the hell", but man it was such a great concert, but the crowd was just annoying...

Going back to Bauhaus, I'd qualify myself as a casual fan as well, but I have seen 'em live twice and both times the concerts were killers... maybe the one I saw in 98 overalll was better -longer, better crowd, great setlist... it was kinda dangerous but that just added to the excitement. But musically last night was fantastic, I repeat Daniel Ash plays guitar on fire.
    Now, I just can't get too much in Love and Rockets music, I've tried but never really could get into them, I just have a live album I got in a bargain sale.
    Peter Murphy's early solo work is really good, I'd recommend you give a try to his self titled album, Deep and Holy Smoke, those albums are pretty good. Here in Mexico we have a large dark/gothic community, and Peter Murphy has come many times solo, although I've only seen him the two times he has come with Bauhuaus.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    i have to admit that i'm not really familiar with bauhaus and have only heared a couple of songs... but how anybody could not know ziggy stardust is beyond me... how ignorant :(

in fact, i just realized that the only two bauhaus songs i have on my computer are bela lugosi's dead and - drumroll! - ziggy stardust :D gave it a spin... actually a very good version that's true to the original... i still prefer bowie though...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    i have to admit that i'm not really familiar with bauhaus and have only heared a couple of songs... but how anybody could not know ziggy stardust is beyond me... how ignorant :(

in fact, i just realized that the only two bauhaus songs i have on my computer are bela lugosi's dead and - drumroll! - ziggy stardust :D gave it a spin... actually a very good version that's true to the original... i still prefer bowie though...

Try She's in Parties, Kick in the Eye and Hollow Hills, I only have a compilation and a live album, but I can hook you with some Bauhaus if you want... as well as with some Murphy solo.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    thanks!
    i downloaded the songs you recommended, just out of interest... when it comes to goth rock it very much depends on the vocals if i like a band or not... and i like peter murphy's voice... i also like their post-punk, glam and krautrock influences...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I've never really listened to Bauhaus except for some songs on Yahoo Launchcast Radio...I'll give them a go. But man that crowd truly sucks...not knowing Ziggy Stardust is criminal.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    viggs20 wrote:
    I've never really listened to Bauhaus except for some songs on Yahoo Launchcast Radio...I'll give them a go. But man that crowd truly sucks...not knowing Ziggy Stardust is criminal.

Yeah, man, that was a sad time...
    But I'm a lucky guy 'cause I have my good friends from the SMC -everyone that has posted here is a member, kinda funny- to make me feel better.
    Thanks guys!!
    And it seems maybe is time to have a Bauhaus/Peter Murphy pick on the club soon.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    thanks!
    i downloaded the songs you recommended, just out of interest... when it comes to goth rock it very much depends on the vocals if i like a band or not... and i like peter murphy's voice... i also like their post-punk, glam and krautrock influences...

cool, psy!!
    I think Bauhaus was a really important band back in the day and their influence is still present in many of today's bands (Joy Division is mentioned when talking about Interpol, but obviously they also have a heavy Bauhaus influence).
    Live they're pretty impressive. I think they never intended to launch the goth thing, but is just like AIC and PJ never tried to launch the grunge shit.
    They did some relevant music, just imagine this coming out in the middle of the punk wave...
    Maybe 'cause in Mexico they're fairly rated I hadn't noticed they're a very, very underrated band in general.
    Thanks for listening to my advice, man!!
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    barcoach wrote:
    And it seems maybe is time to have a Bauhaus/Peter Murphy pick on the club soon.
    a Peter Murphy would be fine with me :)
  • Options
    you know what? i usually don't really pay attention who posts a topic... i'll read a thread if i'm interested... i knew "bela lugosi" and just thought i'd like to know more about bauhaus...
    but having said that, realizing it's another SMC member's thread always makes it even more worthwhile because i just know you guys all have good taste in music are willing to discuss and not only post "this band sucks/is great"...

haha, i hope others don't consider us the music elitists of the "other music" forum... well, we're not elitists... but maybe the music nerds in the corner of the school yard, errm, forum yard... whatever, you know what i mean ;)

back to topic though...
    barcoach wrote:
    I think they never intended to launch the goth thing, but is just like AIC and PJ never tried to launch the grunge shit.

well, i just read up a bit on bauhaus... and i think that coming out of a coffin at the beginning of a show or dressing up as vampires could be called "intentional" by some :D
    ~~~

• Options
    psycosmic wrote:

well, i just read up a bit on bauhaus... and i think that coming out of a coffin at the beginning of a show or dressing up as vampires could be called "intentional" by some :D

I get you there, what I meant is when they started I don't think they intended to start a trend, but just do something different to what others were playing at the time, just do their own thing. Of course it was intentional, but don't think they thought what they were starting a fashion that eventually would be called goth and would spawn hundreds of sadly mediocre bands.
    What I meant is it really shook its time, it was something completely new for their time and done in a very good and intelligent way.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    psycosmic wrote:
    haha, i hope others don't consider us the music elitists of the "other music" forum... well, we're not elitists... but maybe the music nerds in the corner of the school yard, errm, forum yard... whatever, you know what i mean ;)
    Hahah...I know exactly what you mean. :)
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    I have a cd of theirs I bought years ago... The BBC Sessions... It's brilliant... It's pretty raw and has a sound they could never get on the studio albums...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis