Mogwai live?

barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Anyone here has seen them? I'm going next Friday with high hopes... Any comments on what to expect? Or on their new album?
Cheers
Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
-The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
although, God knows, I may not have met her"
-J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    barcoach wrote:
    Anyone here has seen them? I'm going next Friday with high hopes... Any comments on what to expect? Or on their new album?
    Cheers

Well I haven't seen them live for awhile, so I don't know how the new CD works out on stage. However I'm pretty sure that it will be good.
    As too what you should expect. I say don't stand too close. They play really fuckin' loud. I'm serious. They often end with a wall of feedback. Ever heard The diamond sea by Sonic youth? Notice how the song is desorted at the end but still continues by that desortion (not just holding the gitar infront of the amp and fucking up the sound). Mogwai does that as well. I once saw a show and they did that for like half an hour or maybe even longer (after the show we could even figure out who we were let along how big the trip was).
    One by one the left the stage and the wall still was in place right up till the last one walked off, and then it went on a little longer.
    I reckon you'd best stand somewhere in the middle. Anyway Mogwai is one off the best live acts I know.

Loads of fun and keep your sitbelt on!

Into the void we travel.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i saw them last thrusday and even tho there were equipment problems they sounded excellent! one of the best shows, musically, i've experienced
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    barcoach wrote:
    Cheers
    I haven't seen them but really enjoy the new disc. I am on the look out as I would love to see them live. I would be going in with high hopes as well. If you come away happy, may I please recommend you look into the following disc?

Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
  • transplant wrote:

Amen. This disc will blow your mind and then melt it then boil it til it blows up again. ;) Hey transplant, looks like Pelican is on the Taste of Chaos bill! Isn't that weird? And they will be touring with Mono and such after that.

And barcoach, I haven't seen them live (missed them this winter), but I just streamed their new live stuff from the archive, and the new material kinda fits in well. Like Herod and Satan still kicked ass though.

Have fun!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Well, friends gotta say: I am thrilled, I'm left wordless, I am moved to the deepest corner of my soul... I wasn't ready for the powerful experience that was Mogwai live... really one of the best acts I've ever seen, they just get to your deepest self even if you're not a fan, there were moments on the gig where all people seemed like hypnotized... I know only a few times in my concert life I felt what I felt last night, this band has such power that just trascends rock music... it's uplifting music for the soul, is music to be melted with... and that just comes across better live than in the studio... and the person who said they were loud, fuckin' right, I still have my ears buzzing... but my soul is shaking even harder... All I can say is: thanks Mogwai for an unbelieveable gig and an unforgettable moment in life.
    Got the new album at the gig, still have to listen to it.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    barcoach wrote:
    Cheers

are they playing at lollapalooza?--thought i saw them on the list. also, wasn't gizmo a mogwai from the movie gremlins?---thought maybe that's where they got the name.
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    barcoach wrote:
    Well, friends gotta say: I am thrilled, I'm left wordless, I am moved to the deepest corner of my soul... I wasn't ready for the powerful experience that was Mogwai live... really one of the best acts I've ever seen, they just get to your deepest self even if you're not a fan, there were moments on the gig where all people seemed like hypnotized... I know only a few times in my concert life I felt what I felt last night, this band has such power that just trascends rock music... it's uplifting music for the soul, is music to be melted with... and that just comes across better live than in the studio... and the person who said they were loud, fuckin' right, I still have my ears buzzing... but my soul is shaking even harder... All I can say is: thanks Mogwai for an unbelieveable gig and an unforgettable moment in life.

sounds like a good band. what songs do you like best. i think i may just legally download some ;)
  • wow, they sound like a 'hellacool' band to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
    sounds like a good band. what songs do you like best. i think i may just legally download some ;)

My Father, My King
    Fear of Satan
    Like Herod
    Punk Rock
    May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door
    Christmas Steps
    Tracy

...man, I'm just finishing the new album... that last track: We're No Here live sounded like.... like... there are no words for this... like a spiritual storm
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

[quote="transplant
    Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw[/quote"]

Just got back from the record store, trans. Got that album. Will give it a listen later today.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

barcoach wrote:

Yeah I knew what I was saying when I said the were load. I know what you mean with the whole ears buzzing thing. I'm glade you liked it. I'm gonna give you some suggestions now, You might know them, you might not: Do make say think, God Speed You black emperor, Explosions in the sky, Sigur Ros, Blonde redhead(live a little comperable, a wall), The broken social scene, Camping, The love substitudes, Jagga jazzist (live), and to close it off Motorpsycho they are also fucking loud and build a wall of sound. Best to listen to by Motorpsycho would be Angels and deamons at play and Trust Us.

Got any suggestions back? Please don't hasitate.

Cody is truely beautiful
    Dail: revenge
    Kappa
    Christmas steps
    Ex-cowboy
    transplant wrote:

It was not directed at me, but I asume it will be all right if I follow up on this.

Cool tittle. I myself have put some suggestions down a little above. Hope there's something you like.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    How would one describe these guys?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    Yeah I knew what I was saying when I said the were load. I know what you mean with the whole ears buzzing thing. I'm glade you liked it. I'm gonna give you some suggestions now, You might know them, you might not: Do make say think, God Speed You black emperor, Explosions in the sky, Sigur Ros, Blonde redhead(live a little comperable, a wall), The broken social scene, Camping, The love substitudes, Jagga jazzist (live), and to close it off Motorpsycho they are also fucking loud and build a wall of sound. Best to listen to by Motorpsycho would be Angels and deamons at play and Trust Us.

Got any suggestions back? Please don't hasitate.

Thanks, man... Yeah, I know most of your suggestions there and still need to get deeper with their music... I was recently exposed to Motorpsycho, I don't know but didn't enjoy them as much as everyone else seemed to do, I found some songs interesting but really bothered me how they were produced and how the vocals get drowned by the sound...

I can't think of any suggestions right now, except that the album I'm listening at this very moment by a band called Mew is fucking impressive and beautiful. Another would be the band that opened that gig for Mogwai: Austin TV, they were great and just made the night even better, only problem is they're Mexican and record for an indie label here, so I guess you might have some trouble trying to find their stuff, but I can hook you if you're interested.
    I'm still high on my Mogwai trip...
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

barcoach wrote:
    I was recently exposed to Motorpsycho, I don't know but didn't enjoy them as much as everyone else seemed to do, I found some songs interesting but really bothered me how they were produced and how the vocals get drowned by the sound......

I think I know what album you heard, it sounds like Timothy’s monster. The singing isn't way on top production wise, because the aren't the best of singers. Best to listen to by Motorpsycho would be Angels and daemons at play and Trust Us. The singing on Trust us is the clearest. Musically they are really good. And if you could step over the singing you would have a great band.

Angels and daemons at play Track list

00. Ohm's Concerto for Alto and Sporano Saw (Rewind from start)
    01. Sideway Spiral
    02. Walking on the Water
    03. Heartattack Mac
    04. Pills, Powders & Passion Plays
    05. In the Family
    06. Un Chien d'espace
    07. Sideway Spiral II
    08. Like Always
    09. Stalemate
    10. Starmelt, Lovelight
    11. Timothy's Monster

Trust us track list

CD1:
    1. Psychonaut
    2. Ozone
    3. The Ocean in her eye
    4. Vortexsurfer
    5. Syddhardtino
    6. 577

CD2:
    1. Evernine
    2. Mantrick Muffin stomp
    3. Radiance frequency
    4. Taifun
    5. Superstooge
    6. Coventry boy
    7. Hey, Jane
    8. Dolphin

barcoach wrote:
    I can't think of any suggestions right now, except that the album I'm listening at this very moment by a band called Mew is fucking impressive and beautiful.

I've heard Mew when a friend gave it to me, it did not work for me as it did for him and apparently you as well.
    barcoach wrote:
    Another would be the band that opened that gig for Mogwai: Austin TV, they were great and just made the night even better, only problem is they're Mexican and record for an indie label here, so I guess you might have some trouble trying to find their stuff, but I can hook you if you're interested.
    I'm still high on my Mogwai trip...

If you would be able to let me have a listen that be great. It sounds pretty good from what you describe.
    Anyone who likes Mogwai and Godspeed will probably like Set fire to flames as well. O and Mono there are two of them, a dutch one and a japanese one their both good bands.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    barcoach wrote:
    Just got back from the record store, trans. Got that album. Will give it a listen later today.
    cool, I hope you like it. I feel a little better about the recommendation now that burnin-candle digs it as well.
    fanch75 wrote:

Who Mogwai or Pelican?
    I thought you might like this.

I was there I still don't know how I got back on earth.

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/groups/index.jsp?groups=1930983
    does anyone here dig fellow Scotsmen, Malcolm Middleton?
  • No food after midnight and no, absolutely, no water.
    No food after midnight and no, absolutely, no water.

Hum, I take it that is a malcome line then?
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    Saw Mogwai twice within 3 days in 2004- once on their own, and once on the Curiosa tour. Headlining, they were super-loud, so loud I swear I could feel the hair on my legs move. The only comparable show in terms of volume was Dinosaur Jr. on this reunion tour, anybody who's seen them will know exactly what I mean. On Curiosa, Mogwai only played 2 songs, Ithica and My Father My King- 2 songs in a 30 min. set, 5 min. of it was feedback. Fantastic!

I love Pelican, too. When the Taste of Chaos tour came through here, they were touring in Europe, I think. Wherever they were, they weren't in Jacksonville. They're playing Gainesville soon, I'm hoping to hit that show.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • i saw them live 10yrs ( or so it seems) ago in uk and they were good, they named every song after seasons so it seemed!

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
    i saw them live 10yrs ( or so it seems) ago in uk and they were good, they named every song after seasons so it seemed!

So they played only four songs?
  • EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    I saw Mogwai tonight in Seattle. Overall, I was impressed with how they played. They weren't nearly as loud as some of you have described. It was a treat to see them finish off with Mogwai Fear Satan. That song alone was worth the ticket!!
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    The only comparable show in terms of volume was Dinosaur Jr. on this reunion tour, anybody who's seen them will know exactly what I mean.

Yes....I saw Dinosaur Jr last night and this morning my ears certainly know what you mean!

Mogwai are excellent live. I didnt know any of their stuff the first time I saw them but they were just so overwhelming, it's impossible not to be impressed.

Seen them a couple of times since. They did this cool gig on the Isle of Bute in Scotland where included in the ticket price you got a bus and return ferry out to the island which then brought everyone back again after the show.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    fanch75 wrote:

space/cosmic rock
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    This is an old thread but instead of making a new one thought id drag it up!

I cant believe it took me so long to get into Mogwai, being from Glasgow as well! I listen to loads of different music including a whole lot of alternative/instrumental stuff, so im always on the look out for new, different acts like that, cant believe one of the best was right on my doorstep and it took me so long to realise.

Got two of their albums in the last few weeks and they are both great, happy songs for happy people and Young team. Im listening to the latter just now, pretty amazing.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.