Chili Peppers - By The Way

UsmanIUsmanI Posts: 72
edited January 2008 in Other Music
I bought this album last weekend after hearing a few songs online, and I have to say it was so much better than I thought it would be. It's one of the best albums i've bought recently and I can't stop listening to it. This album has such an amazing, mellow sound and flow to it, and it's about an hour and 10 minutes long which is awesome.

Anybody else like this wonderful album?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    I've always been a fan of the Chili Peppers. Believe me, before Stadium Arcadium and before they became really ridiculiously radio-abused, I was obsessed with them. I was always into their more harder stuff (BSSM, Californication, Freaky Styley, even OHM) but as a mellow album as this was intended to be, I enjoy it.

Favorite songs:

By The Way
    This is the Place
    Can't Stop
    On Mercury
    Throw Away Your Television

I only like Don't Forget Me when it's played live. It just has this amazing metaphorical cleansing of my soul that i enjoy. :P
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    One of the best albums of the 21st Century, massively under-rated and written off because of the success of the mainstream singles, and the fact its not BSSM. But its not meant to be BSSM, and, treated in its own right it is a spectacular collection of songs, with a lot of variation in styles, especially the eclectic 2nd half of the album.

Frusciante's melodic playing and expert use of backing vocals are what lift it up a level. If you haven't heard all the b-sides from this album, you should get them, they are all good enough to have made the album.
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    criminally underrated album...in my opinion, the chili peppers never got the props they deserved for making a truly mature, beautiful album...its a shame they have regressed since
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • CABRON!!!

hell yeah the Peppers are awesome! (so long as it is Frusciante peppers!)
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    criminally underrated album...in my opinion, the chili peppers never got the props they deserved for making a truly mature, beautiful album...its a shame they have regressed since

I agree about BTW being underrated, but SA is a truly remarkable album. It mixes all of their styles. Melodic, punk rap rock, funk. It's a true collection of great songs.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • UsmanI wrote:

My 67 year old mom loves it!

Seriously. :D
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I agree about BTW being underrated, but SA is a truly remarkable album. It mixes all of their styles. Melodic, punk rap rock, funk. It's a true collection of great songs.

I agree with you here. I know a lot of people think that maybe they should have just released this as one disc but I don't think that was possible. We would have gotten all the same radio singles and none of the hidden gems. John F. flat out rips it on SA.

Also, BTW is a very good album. I think people are looking for them to do what they did in the old days, but I am just floored by how tight these guys are as musicians on the newer records. It's flawless. As far as Kiedis, Ive grown to take it for what it is and I respect him for that.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Warm Tape and Venice Queen

when you have the last 2 tracks on the album that are this good, you know the whole album is fucking amazing
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Tear
    NERDS!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Didn't like it at first and layed it down for almost a year. I played it one night after hearing "Throw Away Your Television" and I was hooked. I haven't stop listening to that album like it as much or better than Stadium Arcadium

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• smarchee wrote:
    Warm Tape and Venice Queen

when you have the last 2 tracks on the album that are this good, you know the whole album is fucking amazing

These are 2 great tracks. The whole album is tremendous. It gets better the more you listen to it. The songs are layered so that each time you listen you hear something new. Hard to believe a lot of people hated it and still do. For me it might be their best album.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I find it mostly dull and pretty uninspired it all tends to sound the same and the middle section of the album is just a blur to me. Venice Queen is a standout a fantastic album closer and the title track has plenty of energy.

I much preferred Californication out of their newer albums, it has more energy and still has some of their original funkiness that's sadly lacking thesedays.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    UsmanI wrote:
    I bought this album last weekend after hearing a few songs online, and I have to say it was so much better than I thought it would be. It's one of the best albums i've bought recently and I can't stop listening to it. This album has such an amazing, mellow sound and flow to it, and it's about an hour and 10 minutes long which is awesome.

I love the Chili's, and I am sick of hearing "Its no Californication", nothing wrong with the statement but the inflection. By The Way is what they were attempting to go for with Cali but couldn't because of Fruscianti's lack of ability at the time. Other than to say Kiedis' lyrics are weak (though no less than on any other chili's album) I con't see how anyone can come up with criticism for the album other than to say it's just not to their tastes.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    UsmanI wrote:

Absolutely! I actually think it is their best album. RHCP are a great studio band and they SOUND good live. However, their shows always disappoint me, because it seems very impersonal and like they're just running through the motions.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    It is a great album. When I first got it, I was disappointed that Frusciante didn't go off much on guitar, but once I got over that and let the songs sink in, I realized how great it is. Although it's probably my least favorite of the second Frusciante era albums, I consider it to be the peak of their songwriting. The only reason I like the other albums better is because of the more virtuosic aspects. Flea and Frusciante's playing on SA just floors me.

I don't get the people who calim that BTW and SA all sound alike. Both albums have a huge variety of stylistic changes and influences. I think maybe the production brings them down, because the production on both of those albums gives them a little too much gloss and "same-ness" in my opinion. I like the rawer production of BSSM. That albums sounds like you're in the room with the band when they're playing. I do miss that feel, but, as far as songwriting and performance, RHCP only gets better with age.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I will echo whoever said "Tear". That is an amazing song. Best on BTW I would say.
  • UsmanIUsmanI Posts: 72
    looks like im gonna have to pick up SA. BTW, haha, where do you get the b-sides for By the way?
  • hate the album

they should have retired after One Hot Minute.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Californication and By The Way
    kicks Stadium Arcadium's ass.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*