Which upcoming album by these once-legendary bands will be a bigger disaster?

We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 420
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Guns N' Roses - "Chinese Democracy"

The Smashing Pumpkins - "Zeitgeist"

I'm a huge fan of both bands, and it's beyond disappointing to see what they've become.

I've heard some of the leaked GNR tracks, and like some, especially "There Was A Time" (part of my sig). But I don't know if Chinese Democracy will be worth waiting more than a decade for. Their live shows have been getting good reviews, but they're heavy on GNR's older stuff.

As for TSP, I'm not sure. Since Billy writes all their stuff anyway, he has all he really needs for TSP (Jimmy Chamberlin). But Zwan was eh, and his solo record was a disaster. And how hard is it for BC or James Iha or D'Arcy to say "We're in the band/We're not in the band."? All signs point to them not being in, but since I haven't heard a "no", I'm not ruling it out.

It's also a joke for either of these bands to use their old names, given their current respective lineups. But maybe we'll be surprised.
If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Really looking forward to both. As for the bands names I couldn't care. For me Axl always was/is GN'R anyway
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 420
    Agreed. I'd say I'm looking forward to "Chinese Democracy" more, if only because it's been so damn long since GNR was around and relevant. Hopefully, Axl and Slash will eventually get past whatever it is that's preventing a full-on reunion.

• dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    GnR, in not only, for the hype and the 10 year wait for it.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    GNR has not been GNR since IZZY left. Having said that, I'll still buy it.
  • I think the GNR could prove to be a bigger disaster only because they are far more popular than the Pumpkins. The GNR namesake (I won't say "the band GNR" because it isn't actually GNR in my mind) has a lot more riding on this. The Smashing Pumpkins are almost irrelevent now.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I think the GNR could prove to be a bigger disaster only because they are far more popular than the Pumpkins. The GNR namesake (I won't say "the band GNR" because it isn't actually GNR in my mind) has a lot more riding on this. The Smashing Pumpkins are almost irrelevent now.

good point but I think if it's good it will go way farther than the pumpkins album-which is just a billy corgan cd under a differnt name.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    I'll let you burn me a copy, glory hole boy!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Flip a coin......both are on the ragged edge between glory & disaster.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    The Pumpkins one could be good, but I can't see Axl doing anything good anymore. I bet he is reading this thread and going to pull a Jay and Silent Bob and fly to our homes and kick our asses with his braids.
  • releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    I liked both bands back in the day, maybe Pumpkins a little better. I am interested to see what the GNR will be like. I bet it is horrible.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I am looking forward to the Pumpkins...

That being said, GNR will be a disaster...no original members excluding Axl, it just won't be the same.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Gremmie95 wrote:

Quoted for Truth.

I disagree that the Pumpkins aren't relevant. If Corgan plays his guitar like he did on Gish and Siamese Dream, it will be relevant. Guitar work like that is timeless.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I am looking forward to the Pumpkins...

That being said, GNR will be a disaster...no original members excluding Axl, it just won't be the same.

dude what about the pumpkins? It's the same thing
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:

Jimmy isn't an original member? I mean, i guess you could get technical and say that a drum machine was their original drummer but doesn't Chamberlain=drum machine anyway?
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    mrwalkerb wrote:

Not quite. Even with the old Pumpkins, it was basically Billy Corgan doing everything but the drums. It will be pretty much the same this time around.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • the reason they use the same name they've always had before is because that's the relevent name... and also, because it will sound like the smashing pumpkins even without james and d'arcy.

zwan was a totally different band where as they had a different sound... and billy's solo album was totally different too because he wanted it that way. if billy wanted to make an album all himself and release it as a solo album he could still make it sound like a smasking pumpkins album if he wanted.

so, that's the main reason they're called the smashing pumpkins... it will sound like the smashing pumpkins.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • Oh shut up, his solo record was not a disaster. It didn't sell and it wasn't as good as the Pumpkins' records but it wasn't anywhere close to bad. The new record is going to be incredible.

Anyway, Axl Rose's dickishness has just risen since 10 years ago, so I have a big feeling it's gonna be horrible.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Oh shut up, his solo record was not a disaster. It didn't sell and it wasn't as good as the Pumpkins' records but it wasn't anywhere close to bad. The new record is going to be incredible.

Anyway, Axl Rose's dickishness has just risen since 10 years ago, so I have a big feeling it's gonna be horrible.

i agree, i liked billy's solo album too.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • I like TSP, but really i couldn't care less about this new album.

On the other hand, I CAN NOT WAIT for Chinese Dem. It will be surreal the day I buy that cd.
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • larslars Posts: 524
    type o negative - dead again
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 420
    Oh shut up, his solo record was not a disaster. It didn't sell and it wasn't as good as the Pumpkins' records but it wasn't anywhere close to bad. The new record is going to be incredible.

It was a disaster to me. I don't listen to it, or Zwan, that much.

That being said, I do look forward to Zeitgeist. Some Pumpkins is better than no Pumpkins.

• elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    GnR were/are a much bigger draw than the smashing pumpkins ever have been and for sure it will be analysed far greater.

as for chinese democracy, I agree with the thread starter.......... seeing the setlists from recent shows aint too encouraging,,,like isnt there more new material to debut?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    It's also a joke for either of these bands to use their old names, given their current respective lineups. But maybe we'll be surprised.

Well NIN have a constantly revolving line-up, but they are still considered NIN when they record and play live. Like someone else said, all they really need is Billy and Jimmy, it would be awesome to have James Iha back in the band, but I doubt it's gonna happen.

P.s The new Pumpkins record will be great - Billy's ready to rock again!
  • releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    Well NIN have a constantly revolving line-up, but they are still considered NIN when they record and play live. Like someone else said, all they really need is Billy and Jimmy, it would be awesome to have James Iha back in the band, but I doubt it's gonna happen.

P.s The new Pumpkins record will be great - Billy's ready to rock again!

Trent IS NIN, just as Billy IS the Pumpkins. I am not too sure the Same can be said for Axl. He is just no where near as talented musically as either of them IMO.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \