Calling all Faith No More fans!

MerkyjammMerkyjamm Posts: 272
edited March 2007 in Other Music
I have been listening to Faith No More tonight (for once) and want to know whatever the hell the instrument is that they use for the absolutely amazing intro/first 2 minutes of the track 'Woodpecker From Mars', because it sounds like the most fucked up violin or whatever that I have ever heard, and it is BRILLIANT. So, yeah, any help would be much appreciated!
Too many cowboys, not enough indians, so just go ape shit!

I may be boring but at least I'm not Jack fucking Johnson.

TV is such shit; let's go outside and ride bicycles, right now!

Madrid 07/09/06 - Little mofo'ing Wing!!!
Wembley 06/18/07 - Speechless

www.last.fm/user/StNick_
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I think it's just roddy's keyboard to be honest. he had some pretty cool sounds. there's a live show from chile in 91 on google video that has a cracking version of woodpecker...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    yeehe

fucking awesome
    !!!

cant choose between angel dust or real thing for the best album :S
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yeehe

fucking awesome
    !!!

cant choose between angel dust or real thing for the best album :S
    hmmm. I think I'll go with angel dust, but I just love the real thing. the title track is my favourite patton song.

all faith no more fans need to check out virginal co-ordinates by eyvind kang. its practically classical music but it has patton on vocals and it is one of the most amazingly beautiful albums I've ever heard.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I was lucky enough to catch the Angel Dust tour, with Helmet opening up supporting their Meantime album. *That* was a show.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    BinFrog wrote:
    I was lucky enough to catch the Angel Dust tour, with Helmet opening up supporting their Meantime album. *That* was a show.

Holy shit! That would have been an amazing show!

I gotta go with Angel Dust as my favorite.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I think a keyboard

that is one of the best albums of all time

war pigs is a sweet cover.

Mike Patton was in prime form
  • MerkyjammMerkyjamm Posts: 272
    My friend got me Angel Dust for my birthday (he loves Patton like I love PJ) and I've yet to listen to it. Reckon I'll crack it open tomorrow. I can't get enough of Woodpecker From Mars.

www.last.fm/user/StNick_
  • MerkyjammMerkyjamm Posts: 272
    Oh, and cheers for the responses, people, it was really helpful :)

BinFrog. Dude. You lucky sonuva... :D

www.last.fm/user/StNick_
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    Merkyjamm wrote:
    My friend got me Angel Dust for my birthday (he loves Patton like I love PJ) and I've yet to listen to it. Reckon I'll crack it open tomorrow. I can't get enough of Woodpecker From Mars.

give it a spin and tell me midlife crisis ain't one of the catchiest most addictive tunes you've heard... can't go past king for a day if we're voting on their best album, but all were brilliant
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Angel Dust is the shit. I played that album constantly back in the day.
    Merkyjamm wrote:
    Oh, and cheers for the responses, people, it was really helpful :)

BinFrog. Dude. You lucky sonuva... :D

Would I be a complete ass if I told you I scored the tickets for free?
    BinFrog wrote:
    Would I be a complete ass if I told you I scored the tickets for free?
    bastard.

:)
    Merkyjamm wrote:
    good god man. bust it open now. its one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Patton couldnt really influence FNM on The Real Thing because the music was all written when he joined and he probably consciously toned down his lyrics to fit in. Angel Dust is where his genius came into play. thats not to say that the real thing isnt one of my favourite albums ever though. I love it.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    BinFrog wrote:

Woooooooowwwwww.

If they ever invent a microchip that can copy and paste memories, you should expect a phone call.
  • I love all their stuff but I think "King for a Day" is their best and most underrated album. Title track, Take this Bottle, Star AD, Ugly in the Morning, The Gentle Art of Making Enemies, What A Day, Evidence... etc..

Damn that album is loaded with great tracks.

"What a day, what a day, when you can look it in the face and hold your vomit."

Really some kick ass musicians in that band as well.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Last Cup of Sorrow from Album of the Year = Kick Ass.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    yep it is the keyboard as per the live version on 'you fat bastards'
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Yeah, Angel Dust had a profound impact on me................

and the album was pretty good too.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Seen them a few times. I met Mike Patton while he was walking around before the show ( my father worked security at the venue)when I went to see FNM open for Billy Idol. Also seen them at UConn with Helmet opening...man that was a show in a half. Great band, one of my favs, many good times.

Also seen Mr Bungle,,,,quite an experience.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Seen them a few times. I met Mike Patton while he was walking around before the show ( my father worked security at the venue)when I went to see FNM open for Billy Idol. Also seen them at UConn with Helmet opening...man that was a show in a half. Great band, one of my favs, many good times.

Also seen Mr Bungle,,,,quite an experience.

Yeah, Mr. Bungle is nuts live. I saw them with a bunch of bands a few years ago and they opened with a full rendition of "What The World Needs Now Is Love Sweet Love". Mike was in a full-on sailor outfit. It was interesting to say the least.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Saw Mike Patton with his Peeping Tom projest in Liverpool last November.
    The man is awesome. One of the greatest singers of our generation in my opinion.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.