kooks

bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
edited October 2006 in Other Music
hope this doesn't get moved, but...

anybody check these guys out? sounds a LOT like a british pj to me!
those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    They're a catchy little bunch, that's for sure!

I like Time Awaits a lot.....a gentle, groovy reggae thing going on there.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    bryanfury wrote:

Dream on my friend.Just catchy pop tunes with a mild indie twist,largely for girls from what I can see.They have no depth and therefore will have no longevity whotsoever.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • please dont compare pearl jam to the kooks. the latter is another generic indie band, like dirty pretty things, kasabian, maximo park etc..., who are all 'radio friendly', with meaningless lyrics, and minimal passion or emotion.
    'we were coming close to being on lunchboxes'- e.v 2000
  • They are an OK band - but nothing like PJ. Reckon you should try giving Dirty Pretty Things or The Fratellis a listen, again nothing like PJ but they are in my opinion a lot better than the Kooks.
    Manchester 4/6/2000

and then wait 6 years...

Leeds 25/8/2006
    Paris 11/9/2006
    Wembley 18/6/2007
    Check out the Wembley Blog here - http://pjwembley.wordpress.com/
  • it has genuinely saddened me to see that someone rates the kooks at a level anywhere near to pearl jam

:(

the kooks are shocking! when will people see it
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    My daughter's 12 and she likes the kooks... that says it all.
  • how the hell can you make that comparison? part of me wants to believe that you're just taking the piss!
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    The Kooks are absolutely nothing like Pearl jam at all, but i dont mind them really. i played the album to death when i got it but its ok, few good songs on it.

And to the person who said they are just another generic indie band, and mentioned Dirty Pretty things and their meaningless lyrics. Fair enough they might be meaningless or pointless to you but not to others, myself included.

The DPT album is in my favourite 3 that ive bought this year, and their live performance that i saw a few months ago was one of the best that i have EVER seen.

So many PJ fans on here are so quick to criticise the indie british music scene when at the moment, in my opinion its very strong, so strong that aside from PJ, Temple of the Dog and Interpol, i honestly cant remember the last time i played an album from a band from outwith the UK.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    it has genuinely saddened me to see that someone rates the kooks at a level anywhere near to pearl jam

alright fuckers. i only heard snips from a couple of tracks. i know pearl jam is the greatest band ever and all, but....
    it has genuinely saddened me to see that someone rates the kooks at a level anywhere near to pearl jam

This is a stupid comment as well though. Who are you to say, "the kooks are shocking WHEN WILL PEOPLE SEE IT"

I dont mind listening to the kooks so its possible i may never see it!!

I dont rate them anything near PJ obviously but it is personal bloody taste whether i like them or not!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • bryanfury wrote:

This is an incredibly bizarre comment, and NOT just because I hate the indie scene with a passion.

Dirty Pretty Things
    Maximo Park
    Arctic Monkeys
    Babyshambles
    The Libertines
    The Kooks
    Franz Ferdinand
    Razorlight...

all need to be lined up against a brick wall and shot.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    This is an incredibly bizarre comment, and NOT just because I hate the indie scene with a passion.

Dirty Pretty Things
    Maximo Park
    Arctic Monkeys
    Babyshambles
    The Libertines
    The Kooks
    Franz Ferdinand
    Razorlight...

all need to be lined up against a brick wall and shot.

Suppose your entitled to your opinion, even if it is shite!!

The Libertines are one of my favourite bands, and Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things, along with Radiohead are my favourite UK bands who are still going.

I dont like razorlight or arctic monkeys though.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Suppose your entitled to your opinion, even if it is shite!!

The Libertines are one of my favourite bands, and Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things, along with Radiohead are my favourite UK bands who are still going.

I dont like razorlight or arctic monkeys though.

Radiohead are, and always will be, excellent. IMO, I don't think they'd associate themselves with the above lot.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • CuriousCurious Posts: 732
    I've started to notice that all these 'UK Indie' bands seem to have one great song each, and that's about it...

Apart from The Kooks!

This might have something to do with that dude's voice grating on me so bad I get urges to stab him in the trachea! It's awful.
    "The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    all this negativity or the kooks makes me think they could be pretty good. i think i'll check them out now.

thanks negative fuckers!