wolfmother?

Thin Air 211Thin Air 211 Posts: 114
edited December 2006 in Other Music
How good are they really? I'm not sure..My first thought was what a gay name wolfmother is but then I listened to them and it kinda grew on me. But now I'm thinking are you just trying to be the twin Led Zeppelin? I havn't listened to the whole album cause I question if it's worth my time. What do you think?
`~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    even better, go see a live show of theirs. then come back and post your thoughts here whatever they may be.
    Live Free or Die!
  • As an Australian seeing them at Rockit in Perth they wern't really that impressive. They're songs are simple and I think that at least in this country the hype has died down a bit. Time for them to back it up.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Read a lot about them on here, then listened to them, and hated them sorry.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    The first time I saw them in a small club with 100 people I thought they were awesome. But after seeing them again it was the exact same show, and if you actually break down their music it is pretty simple. And they are totally trying to be like The Mars Volta, Zeppelin, Sabbath, ans The White Stripes.

In other words avoid them - they suck : )
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Some songs are pretty good, but their slower songs are lame Zep rip-offs. Like other people said, they're very simple, and their album gets boring pretty quick.

Just download these tracks of theirs instead:
    White Unicorn
    Tales
    Mind's Eye
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I bought their album when I heard they would open for PJ in Antwerp.
    The album quickly grew on me and I now really appreicate it.
    The show in Antwerp was great. Much energy, very good contact with the public. This is not the perfect band, the perfect album, but this is worth giving a listen...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Have not seen them live, but I love the album and its one of my favorites of the last year. It def. owes a lot to their 70's influences such as Zeppelin and Sabbath. It is what it is and it doesn't pretend to be anything other than that. They just rock. In a music landscape inhabited with emo types like Panic at the Disco and all those other type bands, its kinda refreshing to listen to Wolfmother. I think we will see weather or not they are any good as songwriters when they put out their next album.
    Brian
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    NCBRI wrote:
    Have not seen them live, but I love the album and its one of my favorites of the last year. It def. owes a lot to their 70's influences such as Zeppelin and Sabbath. It is what it is and it doesn't pretend to be anything other than that. They just rock. In a music landscape inhabited with emo types like Panic at the Disco and all those other type bands, its kinda refreshing to listen to Wolfmother. I think we will see weather or not they are any good as songwriters when they put out their next album.

Exactly! It is just refreshing to hear some fucking rock and roll for once!!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    yield2me wrote:
    Exactly! It is just refreshing to hear some fucking rock and roll for once!!

Indeed ! I'm fed up hearing stupid false rocka bands on the radio. Some dudes thinking they make rock while their goal is to sell 20 millions albums and be played 25 times a day on, the radio.

Wolfmother just rocks and that's what's sometimes missing...
  • Julien wrote:
    Some dudes thinking they make rock while their goal is to sell 20 millions albums and be played 25 times a day on, the radio.

U2 ?
    U2 ?

U2 is a good example... with Arctic Monkeys and others...
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I can't complain about their music. I picked up the album and I liked the content. They may have a lot of resemblances to bands like Sabbath and Zeppelin, but at least it's the good fucking rock. Not that stupid ass My Chemical Romance. I give Wolfmother credit for actually being a sweet band.
  • personally, i'd rather just listen to my old zeppelin albums. it's a better version of the exact same style. it's kinda like comparing alice in chains to godsmack.

on a related note, bob dylan already told me the story about the joker and the thief. jimi hendrix reiterated it very nicely. wolfmother's contribution was unnecessary at best.
  • I think they are good, but I won't be able to really make up my mind until their next album is released.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I picked up the cd recently, it has its moments..........funny none of you heard the likeness to the Doors..........I'd like to see them live before I'd rush out and get a 2nd album but I agree they're far better than the emo crap radio tries to shove down our throats...........(just turn the fucker off and put in your fav cds instead!!!) Right?
  • the sound of wolfmother is good
    but technically they are not so good at all
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    mwachsman wrote:
    I think they are good, but I won't be able to really make up my mind until their next album is released.

I agree totally

And there was nothing wrong with Wolfmother doing Joker and the Thief, I mean Jesus Christ, I can't even count how many times All Along the Watchtower was done, what's wrong with the Joker and the Thief being covered twice?
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • boring, unoriginal, uninspired etc
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • I think for a debut album they were very good, solid output from a trio which reminds of of Rush in that sense. My only complaint is they need to broaden their sound to a few more mellow songs, I find myself tiring of the album before I am through it, yet I do like all the songs individually. Good when on the shuffle.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Wolfmother rocks! I saw them live at The Horden last July...ROCK N ROLL
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I totally dig Wolfmother. I honestly don't care if they're not completely original. They have a kickass sound and they're great live!! Two thumbs up from me!
  • I think they sound really rocking to be their first album...let´s give them some time...they will probably inspirate a lot more in the future...I hope so
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • well I think I might go out and buy it just to see. Seems like half hate them and the other half thinks their not that bad. I guess I'll have to see...I get what you guys mean, listen to the next album then decide.
    `~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
  • it sounds ok but so similiar to zep sabbath and steppenwolf or something like that?? it just isn't so original it sounds old even though it's new. but yes it is better to hear than most of the new shit out today. but not a must have for me anyway.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Better than most the new bands coming out at the moment, that's not saying a lot but still.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I am pumped, I picked up some duckets for their show at Mac Hall here in town. Soooo lookin forward to it. I havn't seen them yet but should be a good kick your ass type of rock show, Kind of like seeing GRADY, they Rock you hard.
    Calgary 04/09/05, Las Vegas 06/07/06, The Gorge 22/07/06 23/07/06
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    I agree they need to diversify their sound a little, but the CD rocks and is great "work-out" music!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    my opinion? they are fucking terrible...they will be a one and done band...they're a gimmick.. does anyone remember "the darkness"? yeah.. who? :) they will go away just like them
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • SnowRider wrote:
    I am pumped, I picked up some duckets for their show at Mac Hall here in town. Soooo lookin forward to it. I havn't seen them yet but should be a good kick your ass type of rock show, Kind of like seeing GRADY, they Rock you hard.

I will be there too guy! Super pumped!
    9/4/05 Calgary
  • tnt358tnt358 Posts: 72
    i really dig these guys, i'm going to see them live in march; can't fucking wait