Fav R.E.M. Album?

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Everyone has one always a tough choice? mine has to Document and New Adventures in Hi-Fi..
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Automatic for the People is their best.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I love new adventures and I think that may be my fav but Up is unreal and I love automatic and Monster as well, so I didn't answer the question at all.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • 1. New Adventures in HiFi
    2. Automatic for the People
    3. Fables of the Reconstruction
    4. Document
    5. Monster
    6. Up
    7. Murmur
    8. Green
    10. Out of Time
    11. Around the Sun
    12. Reveal
    13. Lifes Rich Pagaent
    14. Reckoning
    15. Dead Letter Office/Chronic Town EP(if this one counts)

There is no wrong answer to this topic. The boyz make music for all occassions. What an embarassment of riches here
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Life's Rich Pageant, Automatic for the People and Reckoning take the lead in my mind. But they're all great!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    gosh,my favs always change. right now i like fables a bunch! "feeling gravity's pull" is mesmerizing. fables is a very "smart" record.
  • Automatic For The People
  • Sorry to sound predictable, but Automatic for the people really does take some beating, perfect record.
  • From best to worst:

1. Murmur
    2. Fables Of The Reconstruction
    3. Reckoning
    4. Document
    5. Life's Rich Pageant
    6. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
    7. Monster
    8. Automatic For The People
    9. Around The Sun
    10. Out Of Time
    11. Reveal
    12. Up
    13. Green
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    1. Murmur
    3. Reckoning
    4. Document
    5. Life's Rich Pageant
    6. Green
    7. Automatic For The People
    8. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
    9. Out Of Time
    10. Monster
    11. Reveal
    12. Around The Sun
    13. Up
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • all i have is 'monster,' i got it for free. what's a good one to start with if i was interested? i dig most of the songs i hear on the radio, just never really took an initiative.
  • I admit the only pre WB album I have is the new "Best of." I do have everything from "Green" on, though. I'd have to say "Automatic for the People" is my favorite with the underrated "Reveal" being a very close second
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    you can seperate the rem fanbase into two camps. there are those who enjoy early rem,which would entail these studio recordings :

murmur
    reckoning
    fables of the reconstruction
    life's rich pageant
    document

green(a transition record-could be in either group of records)

then there are those who enjoy later rem,which would include these records:

out of time
    automatic for the people
    monster
    new adventures in hi-fi

post b.berry records:
    up
    reveal
    around the sun

must admit that i do not like the latter three records. they should not be called rem anymore.
  • new adventures in hi-fi
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Automatic For The People
    Document
    Out Of Time
    Green (World Leader Pretend is genius)
    Murmur
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    all i have is 'monster,' i got it for free. what's a good one to start with if i was interested? i dig most of the songs i hear on the radio, just never really took an initiative.
    you could get potentially 10 or so answers to this however I believe 'Out of Time' to be their most radio friendly release.

Forget that Shiny Happy People is on there. Belong, Texarcana, Country Feedback and Me and Honey are some of the greatest pieces of music they ever put together. I still love Losing My Religion.

as to the topic question, my favorite is New Adventures in Hi-Fi. However I don't think they made a single mistake, I mean not ONE until Around the Sun.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    transplant wrote:
    Forget that Shiny Happy People is on there. Belong, Texarcana, Country Feedback and Me and Honey are some of the greatest pieces of music they ever put together. I still love Losing My Religion.
    Yep.
  • RVM1978RVM1978 Posts: 320
    The first 5 albums are classic. But one I've probably listened too more than others is, "Out of Time".
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Life's Rich Pagaent. That album just propells itself along from song to song, not a bad track in the bunch.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    new adventures in hi-fi is my current favourite. i say current, it's been my favourite since it came out because they haven't done anything to better it... yet
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • merkinball wrote:
    Life's Rich Pagaent. That album just propells itself along from song to song, not a bad track in the bunch.

agree 100%.

1. LRP

then

2. New-Adventures
    3. Reckoning vs. Green
    4. Reconstruction of the Fables ( :) ) vs. Dead Letter Office

I actually really really like Dead Letter Office! The VU covers, Voice of Herald, AGES OF YOU ! Burning Down and Walter's Theme is great. lol.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Fables
    Murmur
    Reckoning
  • G-Man23 wrote:

post b.berry records:
    up
    reveal
    around the sun

must admit that i do not like the latter three records. they should not be called rem anymore.

Up is amazing.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    jeffbr wrote:
    1. Murmur
    3. Reckoning
    4. Document
    5. Life's Rich Pageant
    6. Green
    7. Automatic For The People
    8. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
    9. Out Of Time
    10. Monster
    11. Reveal
    12. Around The Sun
    13. Up

So pretty much in order from oldest to newest!

I've never tried to rank their albums. I'd have to set aside time to re-listen to them all (at least the ones I have).