The National

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I saw these guys open for Modest Mouse and R.E.M. and have to say they were excellent. They have a few albums which one should I start with?
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Get boxer if you get any of them... I don't care for this band at all... but I love the song "Mistaken For Strangers"
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Boxer.
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • RonForchetteRonForchette Posts: 175
    Get Alligator(2005) and Boxer(2007). Both are great albums. I'm still trying to figure out which I like more.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    As others have mentioned Alligator and Boxer are their best albums and Boxer by far is the best.

Be forwarned they are not as good on their albums as they are live. I saw them open for Arcade Fire a couple years ago and was blown away by their live show. when i got the albums i found them not to be as compelling, but Boxer really has a great feel to it. I would probably rank boxer in my top15 albums of this decade so far.

After you love Boxer pick up Alligator. gotta have that one because it has Mr. November on it :) ( and other good songs too)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Alligator is one F****** masterpiece! Go get it ! Fabolous live band!
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Get Alligator(2005) and Boxer(2007). Both are great albums. I'm still trying to figure out which I like more.

Agree, both are great! Awesome band.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• One of my favorite bands. Get Alligator and Boxer, and for further listening I'd recommend the Cherry Tree EP. "About Today" is one of their simpliest sons, but one of their best for sure.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Boxer and Alligator are on the same level, both amazing. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers is a very good album, but nowhere near the quality as the first two mentioned, if you pick up those two then look into Sad Songs...
  • I had boxer and loved it and then everyone on this board suggested alligator and it is amazing, I think I like it more than boxer. I was also persauded to see them live on sunday and it was so awesome. I'm amazed by this band they are great!
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    intodeep wrote:
    I would probably rank boxer in my top15 albums of this decade so far.

I would agree with this. I really like Boxer.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Zoso wrote:
    I saw these guys open for Modest Mouse and R.E.M. and have to say they were excellent. They have a few albums which one should I start with?

wait did Eddie Vedder show up at that concert? I know some people thought he might... did he? It was in Philly right?