Flaming Lips

pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I've seen a couple youtube videos of these guys and they sound really dam good. Can someone recommend me some discs, preferably a good live compilation or high quality show. After getting into pearl jam, i feel like live is the only way to go.

Thanks!
5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    ok.

They have a rather large discography...

Start with these

The Soft Bulletin & Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

after that Move on to At War with the mystics.

Then I'd give Transmissions from the Satellite Heart & Clouds Taste Metallic a listen which are earlier albums... after those I'd say go for the even earlier stuff and Zaireeka...

IMO the later stuff is better and easier to get into, but to each his own...

As far as live, pick up the Live @ the Oklahoma City Zoo disc (U.F.O's At The Zoo) ... it's a DVD but it also plays in most cd players (works on mine)....

Edit: also I'd like to point out that I'm pretty sure they have abandoned a lot of their earlier material in the live setting aside from She Don't Use Jelly... I'm not 100% sure on this but from the set lists I have seen it seems to be so... if anyone is a diehard Lips fan and can clarify that, it would be awesome.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Edit: also I'd like to point out that I'm pretty sure they have abandoned a lot of their earlier material in the live setting aside from She Don't Use Jelly... I'm not 100% sure on this but from the set lists I have seen it seems to be so... if anyone is a diehard Lips fan and can clarify that, it would be awesome.

They don't play too much early stuff, with the exception of Mountainside (off The Day they Shot A Hole in the Jesus Egg or Priest Driven Ambulance album), which kicks all sorts of ass live. On the Yoshimi tour they played Lightning Strikes the Postman (Clouds Taste Metallic) which was great live too.

That's a pretty good order to get the albums in, I'd pick up Priest Driven Ambulance about the same time as Clouds Taste Metallic.

And if you have a surround sound system, pick up the CD/DVD combos of Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, and Mystics. They went to a lot of effort to get the mixes done in surround, and it's well worth the extra $.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Yep Stephen Flow's advice is pretty much spot on.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    one of the greatest american bands at this time (imo)
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Transmissions and Clouds Taste Metallic, I'm in the minority but I far prefer the older music to the newer, or maybe the more middle stuff to be precise.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Transmissions and Clouds Taste Metallic, I'm in the minority but I far prefer the older music to the newer, or maybe the more middle stuff to be precise.
    i agree more with you... its all a matter of opinion though... i can see how the newer stuff would be considered more accessible to a new fan though so it makes sense to start there
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/