The Who Review Nov. 27-2006

Tom KTom K Posts: 842
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Finally got a chance to sit down at my computer and write a little review of The Who show from Hershey last night. Me and a few friends got to the Venue around 615, it was a bit chilly but it didn't detour us from slugging down a quick 4 or 5 beers before heading in. We walked in around 645 and went up to our seats in the 225 section in the back of the arena, there was a decent crowd already seated to watch the pretenders who were pretty good, I wasn't familiar with their catalogue but they still rocked pretty hard. Took a little walk through the venue before the pretenders and the who and noticed someone with a Pearl Jam shirt on, when I said nice shirt, he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead. O well. Between the acts we ended up switchin to the 220 section which is about middle of the Arena, they were alot better seats and there were only about 6 of us in the section, the top section was nearly empty. The Who came on at about 845...
~They opened with Can't Explain and went right into The Seeker then Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, both of which had a good bit of Daultrey Mic swinging and PT windmills.
~They played the new song Fragments, of Endless Wire which is actually a really good song.
~Next they went into a blistering version of Who are You and Behind Blue Eyes.
~They then went into the little mini-opera , Wire and Glass, off the new disc:Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door
~ Baba was next, they tore through it with green lasers blasting over the crowd, Baba had one of the biggest responses of the night and totally blew me away.
~From Baba they went into eminence front which got another huge response.
~They then went into A man in a purple dress, my favorite of the new album, and also Mike Post Theme which Daultry said was a comment of television today, or something like that.
~They fininshed the set with You Better You Bet, one of my favotire songs of the nigh, My Generation right into Cry If You Want, and the unrealy Won't Get Fooled Again, the place went crazy went Daultry belted out the YEEAAA at the end of the song, the guy still has some pipes.
~ At the end of Won't Get Fooled Again Pete got pissed off at some apparent technical problems and was yelling at the crew on the side of the stage and banging on his amp. When he left stage he gave one of the techs a pretty hard shove, almost knocking him over, kind of a dickhead thing if you ask me. After seeing how pissed Townsend was I wasn't sure If they come back on stage but they came back out.
~ They played Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me all from the Tommy Album.. Pete was visibly pissed so he really pounded at his guitar.
~ They finished with Tea and Theatre off the new album and at the end Pete and Roger looked a little reluctant to hug each other and take a bow.

Overall I really enjoyed the show. I was really suprised how much energy the floor crowd had and how well the new songs translated live. I was a little dissapointed by Pete pushing the tech over but the music made up for that. Check the who out if you get a chance, you won't be upset.
I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    now i'm thismuch more excited for next monday's show. maybe i can cryogenically freeze myself for the next week so i won't have to wait.
  • cool review tom. thanks. i love the new who cd.

look into the pretenders music...it's worth the ride...chrissie is a rock goddess
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,685
    Tom K wrote:
    ~ At the end of Won't Get Fooled Again Pete got pissed off at some apparent technical problems and was yelling at the crew on the side of the stage and banging on his amp. When he left stage he gave one of the techs a pretty hard shove, almost knocking him over, kind of a dickhead thing if you ask me. After seeing how pissed Townsend was I wasn't sure If they come back on stage but they came back out.
    Typical Pete.
    I saw a Townshend solo show in Boston (1998 I think) and he had a lot of guitar problems, stopped the show for about 15 minutes, still had problems after returning and was lambasting his crew all night.
    From my brief discussion with his brother Simon before a show a few years ago, Pete is lets just say not the world's most pleasant individual.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Check out the Woodstock incident with Townshend . He doesn't like anything going wrong or anyone coming on stage.
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    awesome :D

I went to the Nov. 20th show in Florida. I got some pics I took, but I've been lazy and haven't written the review yet :p

It was a GREAT show.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    dec. 11th !
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~