Options

Johnny Cash - Hurt

mookmook Posts: 78
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Can anybody tell me anything about this song. I've been listening to the new Johnny Cash best of album and the song "Hurt" is just brilliant.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the song is originally a Nine Inch Nails song off 1994's classic Downward Spiral.

The entire album is amazing, its one of the most powerful and disturbing cd's ever, Trent Reznor was using heroin and it wasnt pretty, its all their in the music. Its just as the title suggests, about a Downward Spiral. Its one of the those entire cd's you feel sick and feel like throwing up after. Not because the music sucks, but because the music is so powerful and gets to you.

The entire cd is a concept record, and Hurt is the final song, so its like the downfall of the main character, one would assume its Trent Reznor.

Hurt is one of the most powerful songs I have ever heard, and Cash's video is one of the more amazing videos I have ever seen.

If you havent done so yet, check out Cash's music video for Hurt and then buy Nine Inch nails Downward Spiral.

Trent said he prefered Cash's version to his.

I agree the song is brilliant.

Cash's video, doesnt have half naked girls, or cars, or money, or fancy graphics. Its just stark. And it turns out to be maybe one of the best music videos ever made.
  • Options
    And it turns out to be maybe one of the best music videos ever made.

that´s so true !!!!
  • Options
    if you dont have it on your greatest hits cd, check out Cash's stab at Rusty Cage, the old Soundgarden standard.

But to me, its so amazing, to many of us, the final image of Johnny Cash, is that Hurt song, and the Hurt video. What an important video and song.
  • Options
    it was originally done by nine inch nails...and the videos for hurt (both of them) are probably two of the best videos ever made. personally i like both versions. check out the NIN one if you get a chance though :)
  • Options
    che beat me to it...your typing skills are revolutionary!
  • Options
    if you dont have it on your greatest hits cd, check out Cash's stab at Rusty Cage, the old Soundgarden standard.

But to me, its so amazing, to many of us, the final image of Johnny Cash, is that Hurt song, and the Hurt video. What an important video and song.

the way the director put together the scenes from johnny's life in time with the conclusion of the song is absolute genius. then at the end, when johnny closes the piano...it gets me every time. get a lump in my throat just thinking about it.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,849
    One of the very rare occaisons when a cover version is better than the original.

Other noteworthy exceptions are (original in brackets):

Swans - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)
    Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better (Carly Simon)
    Pearl Jam - Rockin' In The Free World (Neil Young)

That is all of them.

No, really.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I could be wrong..but wasn't there a thread already about this topic?
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=153970
    similar....?
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • Options
    I love the video to Johnny Cash's Hurt. It truly is one of the best music videos I have ever seen. Beautiful.
    YOU CAN'T BE NEUTRAL ON A MOVING TRAIN.
  • Options
    Eraserhead wrote:
    One of the very rare occaisons when a cover version is better than the original.

Other noteworthy exceptions are (original in brackets):

Swans - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)
    Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better (Carly Simon)
    Pearl Jam - Rockin' In The Free World (Neil Young)

That is all of them.

No, really.

You missed a big one... All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix... even Dylan said that without even knowing it, he wrote the song for Jimi.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    the song is originally a Nine Inch Nails song off 1994's classic Downward Spiral.

The entire album is amazing, its one of the most powerful and disturbing cd's ever, Trent Reznor was using heroin and it wasnt pretty, its all their in the music.

When With Teeth came out and Trent was doing interviews he said when he wrote Hurt he hadn't even done heroin yet. In fact, he said he hadn't started using it until he had begun work on the Fragile. He has said numerous times that Hurt was not about him, but about a friend.
  • Options
    You missed a big one... All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix... even Dylan said that without even knowing it, he wrote the song for Jimi.
    Also missed "With A Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker, great Beatles cover.