Options

What band did you think was so-so until you saw them live?

di_jammerdi_jammer Posts: 12
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I dunno I just thought of this, Im racking my brain to think of my answer. wondering about other ppl's answer
saw things so much clearer, once you were in my rearviewmirror
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I know people aren't going to believe this but until I saw them live, I completely underestimated the power of PJ. I don't find their live DVDs do them justice. But that's just me.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Pearl Jam
    The Decemberists
    54-40
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Oh i totally have mine,
    System of a Down. I went to the show just to see The Mars Volta open (which was effing amazing-as usual) . Thought System was ok, but the show was great, the fans were so into it, and the guitar player...(I forget his name, he does some vocals too) had amazing stage presence and made it super memorable. Got into their music a lot after that.

A Perfect Circle (hahah same deal, went to see the volta open)- had heard their stuff but was totally blown away by Maynards voice.

Also actually just a few nights ago, saw the Deftones, I've liked them for awhile but now its blossomed into full-blown love after seeing them at the Commodore ballroom (for anyone thats seen a show there you know what im talking about)
  • Options
    I hear John Vanderslice is great too. I might go see his show tonight, too. Media Club at 8, only 12 bucks.
  • Options
    John Vanderslice? whats his story never heard of him....whats he comparable to? Anyways, the Media Club's a great place to see anyone
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Vanderslice
    http://www.johnvanderslice.com/html/mp3jv.html

some mp3s on the second page, great stuff, and I hear he's magic live
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Jack Johnson, George Clinton, BEN FUCKING KWELLER!!(that was an amazing show)... The Offspring..
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    John Butler Trio

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I am not a fan by any means, but around 8-9 years ago I saw Collective Soul put on a free show up at a ski mountain in VT and they really put on a good show. That is of course until some dipshit pelted the lead singer with an iceball (I heard a few people say there was a battery in it) and knocked him down. Talk about completely uncalled for and utterly low class.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    I had never been a fan of Frank Black's solo material, but I saw him do a solo gig in a really tiny place and it blew me away, he played for like 2 hours, his solo songs were great as well as the Pixies stuff he did.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    *cough* *cough* .....Nickelback:o

I went with my brother for his birthday 2 years ago because he was too young......it was surpisingly a pretty rockin' time.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    velvet revolver..
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I used to despise Wilco until I saw them live..back in '97.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    I only like radiohead casually until August of 2001. Then I was put in my right place.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I didn't exactly thought they were so-so, but Mogwai live was so much more than what I expected... so much, much, much more than what I expected... just to remember that concert gives goosebumps to my soul...

Just thought of another... Los Lobos, live they rock better than any of their records.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Rush...never really got into them much. what amazing talent. i was blown away by them. if you haven't checked out there live DVD's you should.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    never had my doubts about PJ. saw them first time in KC 1998. When they played DTE, the place went nuts..

but back to the subject..

POCO was impressive in 1971 as was Jethro Tull on the Thick As A Brick tour.

Sade in 1994 assisted me with taking off my date's panties.

but most impressive of all was a small club performance by Yusef Lateef. this master of Jazz woodwind instruments was amazing.
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I'd have to say Live. Liked some of their stuff, but then when i seen them in concert i gained so much respect for them. What a great show and Ed's voice is amazing.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    *cough* *cough* .....Nickelback:o

I went with my brother for his birthday 2 years ago because he was too young......it was surpisingly a pretty rockin' time.

I saw Creed under similar circumstances. I actually liked their first 2 albums. The live show was pretty intense and my brother loved it. Mark Tremonti is a talented guitarist. Too bad Stapp is such an ass.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    queens of the stone age. saw them open up for foo fighters about 5 years ago and thought they kicked ass. . . stone sour was good live, never really a big slipknot fan but saw there side project at the krock clause fest 4 years ago and thought they were pretty good. . .blink 182/ no doubt concert i went to last year, both were very good and not a huge fan of either
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    Well it was actually Tom Petty.Very entertaining.
    Although I don't think I would like to see a PJ-TP double bill.
    Just think they are a different type of crowd.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Donavon Frankenreiter and Rush blew my mind.
    Her?
  • Options
    TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    Franz Ferdinand, they were awesome at the big day out this year
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    syzygy523syzygy523 Posts: 26
    No question, Sonic Youth. Studio recordings do them no justice...

- Mike
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    olderman wrote:
    but back to the subject..

POCO was impressive in 1971 as was Jethro Tull on the Thick As A Brick tour.

jesus olderman how old are you? :D

i don't think i've ever underestimated a band before seeing them live.

though SOAD absolutely rocked my fuckin' sox off last year. as did Kings of Leon this year.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Better Than Ezra, bring on the flames. Sure they put out poppy songs, but these guys are amazing live. It is such a good show and they change the setlist enough every night to make it a little different from the last time you saw them. I always go see BTE when they are around.
  • Options
    dr jamdr jam Posts: 69
    Tool. What an incredible band to witness.
  • Options
    murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    Foo Fighters. I thought they were better than so-so before seeing them, but their live show fucking rocked, I liked them more after seeing them for sure.
  • Options
    Señor BoSeñor Bo Posts: 68
    The Mars Volta. I was already I big fan when i saw them last august opening for System of a Down. They're just so damn good. Not only are they great musicians, they're amazing performers and they just gel so well togethere it's really amazing to see them doing improvs that I can only compare to jazz musicians. Cedric is one of, if not, the best vocalist I've seen live, that night he just hit everynote, everytime, flawless. I have a couple of friends who've seen them live 2 or 3 times on previous tours and said that this time around is the best they've played live on any tour.
    I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Señor Bo wrote:
    The Mars Volta. I was already I big fan when i saw them last august opening for System of a Down. They're just so damn good. Not only are they great musicians, they're amazing performers and they just gel so well togethere it's really amazing to see them doing improvs that I can only compare to jazz musicians. Cedric is one of, if not, the best vocalist I've seen live, that night he just hit everynote, everytime, flawless. I have a couple of friends who've seen them live 2 or 3 times on previous tours and said that this time around is the best they've played live on any tour.

Hell yes! I've always been a fan, and both their albums are great...but the intensity of their live shows is just amazing.

I've seen them twice, and I had real trouble getting anyone to come with me. First time, I paid for a friend to come with me, and he loved them, and now thinks he's cool because he does, and the second time, I just went by myself.

Would still love to have seen At The Drive In live though...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07