the "there just is something tremendously special about Bob Dylan" thread

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited November 2007 in Other Music
the man's music is just so fucking real.

i haven't heard any another artist who can truly be categorized in the same class as Dylan.

tom waits comes close

favorite 5 Dylan albums?

freewheelin
bringing it all back home
love and theft
the times they are - a changin'
highway 61
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    personally, i can't help but seeing the irony in "the beatles are the greatest band ever" while listening to Bob Dylan. while those poms were penning one love song after another Dylan was buisy prosing songs that actually meant something. but hey, that's just me.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    tangled up in blue
    subterrian homesick blues
    hurricane
    all along the watchtower
    like a rolling stone
    Blyss wrote:
    tangled up in blue
    subterrian homesick blues
    hurricane
    all along the watchtower
    like a rolling stone
    thombstone blues
    ballad of a thin man
    desolation row
    the times they are - a changin
    it aint' me babe
    rainy day women
    visions of johanna
    one of us must know
    i want you
    4th time around
    shelter from the storm
    buckets of rain
    idiot wind
    maggie's farm
    Mr. tambourine man
    gates of eden
    it's alright ma
    it's all over now baby blue
    isis
    sara
    highway61 revisited
    lonesome day blues
    honest with me
    blowin' in the wind
    girl from the north country
    masters of war
    corrina, corrina
    with god on our side
    only a pawn in their game
    boots of spanish leather
    the lonesome death of hattie carrol
    etc..

• BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    ^are you saying that because my favourites are the "popular" songs, i know a lot of those songs you mentioned but i just like those ones i listed more.
    Blyss wrote:
    ^are you saying that because my favourites are the "popular" songs, i know a lot of those songs you mentioned but i just like those ones i listed more.

no, you've named some of his most spectacular songs, i've just added some more ;)

• Blyss wrote:
    don't worry about liking "popular songs." they are popular for a reason!!

i hate music snobs who think liking the mainstream songs are uncool.
  • Saw Dylan in Perth, Western Australia a couple of months ago. He has an incredible stage presence.

Like all the songs listed, but also the more I listen to Modern Times the more I like it as well.
    Now I'm livin' out here on the beach,
    but those seagulls are still out of reach.
    one of his most intimate songs?

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    glasshouse wrote:
    thombstone blues
    ballad of a thin man
    desolation row
    the times they are - a changin
    it aint' me babe
    rainy day women
    visions of johanna
    one of us must know
    i want you
    4th time around
    shelter from the storm
    buckets of rain
    idiot wind
    maggie's farm
    Mr. tambourine man
    gates of eden
    it's alright ma
    it's all over now baby blue
    isis
    sara
    highway61 revisited
    lonesome day blues
    honest with me
    blowin' in the wind
    girl from the north country
    masters of war
    corrina, corrina
    with god on our side
    only a pawn in their game
    boots of spanish leather
    the lonesome death of hattie carrol
    etc..
    bro, you missed Positively 4th Street. one of his best put-down songs.

not to mention "a hard rain's a-gonna fall" !!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    bro, you missed Positively 4th Street. one of his best put-down songs.

not to mention "a hard rain's a-gonna fall" !!

shite, my bad :eek:

• 'With God On Our Side' is the single greatest anti war song ever written.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • For my sins I haven't really spent the time on Dylan's work that he deserves but I've started to make up for lost time recently. One of the things things that really struck me was just how far reaching his lyrical influence is. To my mind (and I may be wrong) Dylan redifined how lyrics should be written and you can here that influence in the quality songwriters of each generation since. It's definately apparent in a lot of Pearl Jam lyrics. I've even found these traits surfacing in some of my own lyrics which surprised me having never really listened before.

You can't argue with influence like that.
    Scottish Grunge Survivalists...
    http://www.myspace.com/hollowpointuk
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    how about "lay lady lay " is that the name of the song if not sorry but i love that fucking song ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    'With God On Our Side' is the single greatest anti war song ever written.

toss up between that and masters of war

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i love his radio show on xm.
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I just finished reading his autobiography and it was really cool. He wrote a lot of historical things that he experienced in the 60's and also went into depth about his musical interests that lead him to begin his own music. He also talks about his "star" status and how everyone kept writing that he was this party rock and roll guy and in truth he was a married guy with kids who played music; not at all like the hype that was generated.
    I like him a lot as well. My older sister turned me on to him as well as Janis Joplin and I am grateful for it. I have wanted to see him live but I can't seem to get there yet when he is in town for one reason or another. The only thing that gives me solace in that thought is that I can't even understand what he is singing in my live cd.

The favorite that comes to mind is "Positively 4th Street" (in terms of songs not albums).........but I know I will come up with more..........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
    glasshouse wrote:
    toss up between that and masters of war
    depends. if you view A Hard Rain... as an anti-war song, it destroys those two :)

and most other songs ever.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    of the 9 Dylan albums i own this one took me the longest to appreciate and understand.

glasshouse wrote:
    of the 9 Dylan albums i own this one took me the longest to appreciate and understand.
    Agreed. some utterly brilliant songs, even a few masterpieces but also a few samey blues stomps that I could do without. Still enjoy them sometimes though.