Radiohead sell 1.2 million copies of In Rainbows worldwide.

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited October 2007 in Other Music
October 11, 2007 12:29 PM - (Posted by Jonathan) ~ [MT message board]
"Gigwise is reporting that the 1.2 million copies of In Rainbows have been sold worldwide. This is apparently from a "source close to the band" so nothing official has been announced."

1.2 million copies in 2 days? fuck me blindfolded
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    yeah, but how many of those were actually paid for?
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    doesn't matter. I think they'll count as sales because we had to order it.

makes sense though, when a band as well-known as radiohead and as critically acclaimed offers up an album, essentially for free, even people who dont necessarily know them well are going to check it out.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    yeah, I was listening to their bullshit new album yesterday with a friend, who is also a Prince fan. He said prince did this a few albums ago, he broke all kinds of records giving away his albums... looks like radiohead will do the same... I paid $.25 for this, I have bought the last few Radiohead albums and I feel like they should have paid me for taking the time to download this horrible album!
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    doesn't matter. I think they'll count as sales because we had to order it.

makes sense though, when a band as well-known as radiohead and as critically acclaimed offers up an album, essentially for free, even people who dont necessarily know them well are going to check it out.
    I wouldn't have purchased it in-store but I went for the free download. It is an interesting album. I'm not sure if it's my taste or not but I'll give it a few more listens. Now I'm going to check out their other stuff. I think it's a great strategy. It made me take an interest in a band I've never really given a chance before.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    pjtaper wrote:
    yeah, I was listening to their bullshit new album yesterday with a friend, who is also a Prince fan. He said prince did this a few albums ago, he broke all kinds of records giving away his albums... looks like radiohead will do the same... I paid $.25 for this, I have bought the last few Radiohead albums and I feel like they should have paid me for taking the time to download this horrible album!

That sucks for you.
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    I read of a survey done on 3000 buyers (if I find a link in english I'll post it), it seems a 1/3 didn't give anything. It's a poll so it's worth what it's worth, but a 1/3 is reasonable, giving that a vast majority probably paid less than 4-5£ for the album.
    edit : here
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Kann wrote:
    I read of a survey done on 3000 buyers (if I find a link in english I'll post it), it seems a 1/3 didn't give anything. It's a poll so it's worth what it's worth, but a 1/3 is reasonable, giving that a vast majority probably paid less than 4-5£ for the album.
    edit : here

That's interesting, if 2/3 of the buyers actually paid something, it's alot more that I would expect. And even if they paid less than 4-5 pounds, I imagine that all the money goes to Radiohead, unlike physical albuns, where the band gets what? 1 per album sold?
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i want to hear something official, but if thats true thats incredible...wow. good for them.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    That's interesting, if 2/3 of the buyers actually paid something, it's alot more that I would expect. And even if they paid less than 4-5 pounds, I imagine that all the money goes to Radiohead, unlike physical albuns, where the band gets what? 1 per album sold?

About £2 per conventional album I think.If you take a mean average of what everyone paid for the download , add to that how many buy the album proper , and then add to that how many Box sets they sell as well at £40($80) a pop.The upshot is they will make more money than if they had just released the CD.Now watch the innovative experiment become the norm!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • quasiquasi Posts: 492
    pjtaper wrote:

Female Temp: Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    Paid £2.00 for the download last night,not had chance to listen yet,if a good listen will purchase the boxset

radiohead albums are usually growers
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • I love radiohead, I think their best is Kid A followed by hail to the thief. IMO "so far" after listening a about a dozen times through, these 10 songs are sooo inferior to their other albums. Hopefully the next disc is stronger than these...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+