[{~@*~Talking Heads~*@~}]

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited September 2007 in Other Music
didn't find anything using the allmighty search function; so:

post in here if you appreciate these guys you punk.

remember to "remain in light" though
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like what I've heard, but they were around a little before my time, so I've never really known where to start with them.

Any suggestions?
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I once waited on David Byrne and he didn't believe me that I was just at his concert. So I had to open up my Denny's shirt to show him their Tour t-shirt, he laughed.

Here's one my favorite songs by them Once In A Lifetime, love that baseline. :)

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
    And you may find yourself in another part of the world
    And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
    And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful
    wife
    And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
    Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
    Into the blue again/after the money's gone
    Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

And you may ask yourself
    How do I work this?
    And you may ask yourself
    Where is that large automobile?
    And you may tell yourself
    This is not my beautiful house!
    This is not my beautiful wife!

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
    Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

Water dissolving...and water removing
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean
    Carry the water at the bottom of the ocean
    Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean!

Into the blue again/in the silent water
    Under the rocks and stones/there is water underground.

And you may ask yourself
    What is that beautiful house?
    And you may ask yourself
    Where does that highway go?
    And you may ask yourself
    Am I right?...Am I wrong?
    MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Into the blue again/in the silent water
    Under the rocks and stones/there is water underground.

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    I like what I've heard, but they were around a little before my time, so I've never really known where to start with them.

Any suggestions?

remain in light. can't believe that album came out during 1980. unbelievable

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • I love Talking Heads David Byrne is a genius.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • I only have their live album "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads".....I love Houses in Motion, New Feeling, Drugs (Electricity).....hell the whole 2-disc set is awesome.
  • i'm trying to learn how to cover "Psycho Killer" to sing to my lady friends. I love that tune.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Stop Making Sense, the concert movie directed by J Demme, is pure brilliance.
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • I am old. I saw "Stop Making Sense" in the movie theater. Brilliant.
  • I am old. I saw "Stop Making Sense" in the movie theater. Brilliant.

Back in the early 1980's, when dvds/cds didn't exist, I saw this first in the cinema as well. There were about 20 people dancing up at the front of the movie theatre, in the pit, per se. That is something you just don't see anymore ;)

What's truely amazing is how great that dvd works today.

It was way ahead of it's time back then...and it's completely timeless still.
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • I love what I've heard.

I'm too young to know them well but I guess that's not really an excuse.
    I have a brilliant live album of theirs and it's much better than the original, recorded version.

I love them. One of my top 5 but I should look into them more.

I don't know how anyone could not like this band. David Byrne is the bees knees!
  • g under p wrote:
    I once waited on David Byrne and he didn't believe me that I was just at his concert. So I had to open up my Denny's shirt to show him their Tour t-shirt, he laughed.

Here's one my favorite songs by them Once In A Lifetime, love that baseline. :)

Peace

You met him!? That's so cool! Why didn't he believe you were a fan? What did he say?

...Love the bass too!
    You met him!? That's so cool! Why didn't he believe you were a fan? What did he say?

...Love the bass too!

This was back in 1985 when I first took his order and the 3 others that were with him. Some red wine and a salad for him from what I can remember. Then I later told him I really enjoyed his show and that they were in top form. He seem fascinated with my comment maybe because nobody else in the restaurant probably knew who he was.

He asked if I was at the show I said yes and I told him what songs I liked especially "CrossedEyed and Painless" and still he seemed unfazed. So I just opened up my shirt and showed the tour t-shirt which was yellow/orange. He laughed and loosened up after that. I asked to sign one of our Denny's check which he did and I just wished him well on the rest of his tour.

We had a ton of stars come in on the graveyard shift after concerts at the Hampton Coliseum, in Hampton VA. It could be 3 in the morning and tour buses would pull in ACDC, Ronnie Dio, The Wailers, Diamond Dave and others would show up on nights that I worked.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• It's great how you remember that. I was five then.
    It's great how you remember that. I was five then.

I'm just an older dude. :)

One more thing.....upon meeting these musicians late night they were so nice and polite. I think the graveyard hours brought out their best, oh I forgot one more bowled next to Robert Plant off his "Big Log" Tour.

Peace

• whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    The Talking Heads is the best party music of all time, no competition. A few friends and I were playing beer pong/drinking before bars this summer outside listening to some country or classic rock (can't remember, and if you don't like country drunk your not drinking enough beer) and I went in and put on "And She Was." NB, we were really drunk. Anyways, when I came back outside they were all literally jumping around for the next four minutes. Next time your at a bar and they start playing Talking Heads just watch wasted people's reaction. The Talking Heads make you drunker or at least act drunker than you really are.
    My fav song is probably "Walk it Down" from Little Creatures.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    "remain in light" pumped in my car this morning onmmy wat to work- awesome album.
    such a light hearted feel to this album accompanied by some serious music

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Psycho Killer is a stone cold classic, as is Once in a lifetime.

anyone heard My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, the album David Byrne did with Brian Eno? it's great.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Stop Making Sense was free in the newspaper this weekend - how annoying.