i've been thinking: Dylan > Led Zep > Beatles

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I know this is comparing apples with oranges, but say, for arguments sake someone asks me to rank these artists I’d probably be inclined to say

1.Bob Dylan
2.Led Zeppelin
3.The Beatles

oh, and this is suppose to be a friendly enquiry, nothing more
your thoughts?

a poll would actually be nice
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• For me it would go:

1. Zeppelin
    2. Beatles
    3. Dylan

I love all three artists, though. I think they rank this way for me because I am more into music than lyrics.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    hendrix78 wrote:
    For me it would go:

1. Zeppelin
    2. Beatles
    3. Dylan

I love all three artists, though. I think they rank this way for me because I am more into music than lyrics.

close call for me as well, thing about Dylan's music - it's not all about the lyrical content. His music is still the medium, and these days I’ve been thinking there's a lot more to his music than initially marks the ear.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    For me it would go:

1. Zeppelin
    2. Beatles
    3. Dylan

Same for me for the same reason.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Thats about right. Never got into Dylan although i couldnt have more respect for him.

Zep are the greatest though!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    hendrix78 wrote:
    For me it would go:

1. Zeppelin
    2. Beatles
    3. Dylan
    same ranking here...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • For me, it would be:

1) Hendrix (even considering his enormous Dylan influence)
    2) Dylan
    3) Beatles

I have all Zep's albums, and enjoy listening to them. I can remember my brother buying Physical Graffiti in 1975, when I was three. They just never blow my mind, that's all.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Beatles
    Zep

then
    Dylan

i appreciate Dylan's stuff and what not... just his voice can be fucking shit on early records especially... lyrical he's sublime, but then you have to fill your ears with cotton wool and fermented cheese just to be able to listen to him whine on about whiney stuff
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    i appreciate Dylan's stuff and what not... just his voice can be fucking shit on early records especially... lyrical he's sublime, but then you have to fill your ears with cotton wool and fermented cheese just to be able to listen to him whine on about whiney stuff

i whole heartedly disagree with this statement.
    go listen to idiot wind, desolation row, isis, sara + many many more and tell me it sounds like "cotton wool and fermented cheese".
    lets keep it an open debate; but - bullshit. ;)
    go listen again.

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    glasshouse wrote:
    i whole heartedly disagree with this statement.
    go listen to idiot wind, desolation row, isis, sara + many many more and tell me it sounds like "cotton wool and fermented cheese".
    lets keep it an open debate; but - bullshit. ;)
    go listen again.

I have Blood on Tracks (which i love) Blonde on Blonde, The Essential, Highway 61?, and possibly one other.

i appreciate him, i think his lyrics are sublime... but he has the voice of a seal being stabbed through the throat with a blunt monkey... its just not a 'great' voice.

all of this is my opinion though... some people love his voice.. and thats fair enough :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

all of this is my opinion though... some people love his voice.. and thats fair enough :)

i can live with this^ (still don't agree) :)

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I like Zeppelin, but too much of their career was based on making instant-gratification tunes that had no depth to them. Later on they had some great stuff that sticks with you, but they also had some pretty bad experiments.

Anyway my list would go:

The Beatles
    Zeppelin
    Dylan

I respect Dylan, but I just never could get into most of his songs... a lot of them sound very dated.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    "........making instant-gratification tunes....."

what about the BEATLES???

• dunkman wrote:
    Beatles
    Zep

then
    Dylan

My thoughts exactly dunk.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I think you have your greater than less than symbols mixed up... The one that is better or more than the other should have the alligator's mouth opening towards it... just a simple way we learned in grade school!
  • glasshouse wrote:
    close call for me as well, thing about Dylan's music - it's not all about the lyrical content. His music is still the medium, and these days I’ve been thinking there's a lot more to his music than initially marks the ear.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dylan's music. His stuff with the Band is especially awesome, and the guys he's been playing with for a while now are great, too. He does really cool things with his chord changes. I just don't think his music is quite as awesome as Zeppelin or the Beatles.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    glasshouse wrote:
    what about the BEATLES???

Yeah, they had a lot of that stuff too. I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles either, but Sgt Pepper and a lot of the White Album is miles ahead of anything Zeppelin has done. Zeppelin doesn't have as many songs as the Beatles which really stay with you long after they're done playing.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Beatles
    Dylan
    Zeppelin

I wasn't born yet for any of these bands, but my dad has told me that when the Beatles made a new record, it was always groundbreaking... a lot of it has to do with George Martin. They always pioneered new recording techniques, and there is a definite example of growth and maturity in their songwriting. Their first record sounds nothing like their last few... unlike the other two bands.

I chose Dylan before Zeppelin, because he is a pioneer in making statements with his music, whether they were political or whatnot. His lyrics were poetic and took folksinging to a whole new level... fuck anyone who influences Hendrix is alright by me:D

While I still love Zeppelin, and acknowledge that they were a major influence on todays hard-rock/ metal scene... a thread about them a few months ago shed some light on the fact that a lot of their music was "borrowed" from old blues songs. Dylan's music also was heavily influenced by previous generations of songwriters, but some of these Zeppelin songs were blatant ripoffs.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    zeppelin
    dylan

the beatles

i know they were influential and all, but i can't sit down and listen to them and actually enjoy the music for what it is, unlike dylan and zeppelin.
  • zeppelin
    pearl jam
    stones
    beatles
    ........all other bands are below them....................................................................................................
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • glasshouse wrote:
    I know this is comparing apples with oranges, but say, for arguments sake someone asks me to rank these artists I’d probably be inclined to say

1.Bob Dylan
    2.Led Zeppelin
    3.The Beatles

oh, and this is suppose to be a friendly enquiry, nothing more
    your thoughts?

a poll would actually be nice

other way around for me: Beatles > Zep > Bob
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com