what is your favorite Bob Dylan album?

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited September 2007 in Other Music
lately i've been thinking bringing it all back home or
highway61 revisited

can't decide.
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    blonde on blonde has my favorite songs, but my favorite album of all time (by any artist) is blood on the tracks.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    scot88 wrote:
    blonde on blonde has my favorite songs, but my favorite album of all time (by any artist) is blood on the tracks.

i love both those albums, probably blood on the tracks > blonde on blonde for me as well, but i prefer old school Dylan rocking out folk style aka
    "highway61" and "bringing it all back home".

songs like

subterranean homesick blues
    it's alright ma
    it's all over now baby blue
    like a rolling stone
    tombstone blues
    ballad of a thin man
    highway 61 revisited
    desolation row

steels the show imo. but yeah

pledging my time
    visions of johanna
    i want you
    stuck inside of mobile with the memphis blues again
    4th time around
    sad eyed lady of the lowlands
    idiot wind
    shelter from the storm
    buckets of rain

are just as awesome. bob's your uncle :cool:

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    the essential bob dylan.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    the essential bob dylan.
    ¬_¬

it has way to much early 70s/late 70s/80s stuff.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Blood on the Tracks but I also love Desire and Blonde on Blonde
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • 1.Blood on The Tracks
    2.The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
    3.Nasvhille Skyline
    4.John Wesley Harding
    5.Highway 61 Revisited

My favourite Bob song though is 'Forever Young'.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Trying to pick only one favorite is way too difficult, so I'm gonna pick three:

Time Out of Mind
    Blood on the Tracks
    Blonde on blonde
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Time Out of Mind

perfect album to listen to when you feel like rolling over and dying......made me realize someone else feels the same way!

"i've been down on the bottom of a world full of lies
    i ain't lookin for nothin in anyone's eyes
    sometimes my burden is more than i can bear
    it's not dark yet, but it's gettin there"

NOW THAT IS SOME REAL SHIT!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • "Love and Theft" is his greatest album. It has all the styles and they play each song so well.

"Shot of Love" is hugely and unfairly underrated
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Tie between Highway 61 and Bringing It All Back Home
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • "Love and Theft" is his greatest album. It has all the styles and they play each song so well.

"Shot of Love" is hugely and unfairly underrated

His voice has gone to shit in recent years, his new albums really dont compare to some of his earlier ones.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    His voice has gone to shit in recent years, his new albums really dont compare to some of his earlier ones.

I gotta disagree. His last three (Time Out of Mind, Love & Theft, Modern Times) are a solid set of albums. His music has shifted to fit his voice, and I think it works that bluesy/world weary vibe he puts out well. Nothing like his old albums, but I think its great that he is still growing as an artist, and not trying to replicate his older stuff.

If I had to pick one album, I'd have to go with Oh Mercy!, although it's a tough choice among some of the others listed. I've also got a soft spot for New Morning and Slow Train Coming too, they'd be in my top 10.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    blonde on blonde, but here lately I've just been throwin on one of the three greatest hits albums for a nice mix up of the songs.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • Blood on the Tracks, for sure. Second only to Yield on my all-time favorites list.

Highway 61, Love and Theft, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, World Gone Wrong - those are all favorites too.
    love and theft is awesome, definately.

i see (as usaual) blonde on blonde is recieving the most love.
    i like that album, just not my favorite

• Highway 61 Revisited by far.

• That's a great list! I often have to go chasing around dimeadozen etc, and for live boots of Bob, well, MP3 will do me fine. Cheers!
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Blood on the Tracks
    Blonde on Blonde (I just bought it recently, though of course I had heard it a million times before)

I like Hard Rain as well, it was my first Dylan album.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • For me it's Bringing it all back Home, without a question.

Love, love, love that album.

Should have prefaced this though, by stating that I just recently started digging into his actual catalogue, after a few years with Greatest Hits. So far, I have Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks, Modern Times and Bring it all back Home, and of THOSE, Bringing it all Back Home is my favourite, who knows if that will change as I dig deeper over the next few months.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
    desire

hurricane
    isis
    romance in durango
    oh sister
    sara

nice

• i only own three dylan albums and i love them, and you guys are mentioning so many diff titles i dont have, it makes me excited...ive never really cracked dylan, just never got to it.
    i own

desire
    freewheelin bob dylan
    blood on the tracks

my fav would have to be desire.

Mozambique is such beautiful song.

ill go hunt out some other dylan that is mentioned.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • John Wesley Harding is pretty much my favorite nowadays, but bringing it all back home holds a special place in me....almost flawless!
    i've only been seriously exploring Dylan's music for the past 6 mths or so. I must admit can easily see this man occupying the #2 spot in my heart of song and dance.

flawless storytelling accompanied by Dylan's unique sound scope.....nice

• Highway 61 revisited (Deslotaion Row is my favourite sone ever) but....

For most times listened I'd say Biograph just becasue it contains my favourite versions of some songs. You're a Big Girl Now (hate the album version, adore this version), Visions of Johana and It's All Over Now, Baby Blue are all awsome from this collection. Good reading of All Along The Watchtower too!
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    ¬_¬

it has way to much early 70s/late 70s/80s stuff.

yeah on disc two it does. disc one is all 60's stuff.......anyway i would disagree with the essential bob dylan anyway cause it's not really a dylan album, just a greatest hits.............my favorite is highway 61.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Mine is Blonde on Blonde
    I really like Blood on the tracks equally, but chose Blonde cause it's a longer disc. I know this is a pretty weak way to narrow it down. :o
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12