10 most influencial albums

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited February 2008 in Other Music
http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/yoursay/index.php/theaustralian/comments/the_10_most_influential_albums/
i don't know why but the link doesn't seem to work all of a sudden: i'll post the list:

1. the Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground
2. Sgt Pepper's Loney Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
3. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
4. Horses - Patti Smith
5. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
6. Revolver - The Beatles
7. Are You Experienced? - The Jimmy Hendrix Experience
8. Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
9. It Takes a Nation of Millions to hold us back - Public Enemy
10. Never mind the Bullocks and Nevermind - The Sex Pistols
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    glasshouse wrote:
    http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com....ential_albums/

haven't seen this posted here

not a bad list actually (for once)

link not working...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Zoso wrote:
    link not working...

sorry, try it now

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Still not working:

Database Error: Unable to connect to your database. Your database appears to be turned off or the database connection settings in your config file are not correct. Please contact your hosting provider if the problem persists.
    Still not working:

Database Error: Unable to connect to your database. Your database appears to be turned off or the database connection settings in your config file are not correct. Please contact your hosting provider if the problem persists.

i edited the list in my original post

• Hmm. I'd have had Are You Experienced? at number one and Revolver at number two. Ziggy Stardust might have influenced a few male hairdressers to go cruising down Hampstead Heath on a Sunday night, but apart from that, I think its appeal is massively overstated. I think Slayed by Slade and Electric Warrior by T Rex inspired more bands to form. And as for the VU's first album, and this claim that the three people and their dog who originally heard it back in 1967 formed groups, well, that's hype. The band was more media myth than anything else.

I see Public Enemy are the token rap act here.
    And as for the VU's first album, and this claim that the three people and their dog who originally heard it back in 1967 formed groups, well, that's hype. The band was more media myth than anything else..

i disagree completely. that album is a perfect 10.00 and has been massively influencial

Agreed :p

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Hmm. I'd have had Are You Experienced? at number one and Revolver at number two. Ziggy Stardust might have influenced a few male hairdressers to go cruising down Hampstead Heath on a Sunday night, but apart from that, I think its appeal is massively overstated. I think Slayed by Slade and Electric Warrior by T Rex inspired more bands to form. And as for the VU's first album, and this claim that the three people and their dog who originally heard it back in 1967 formed groups, well, that's hype. The band was more media myth than anything else.

Agree with you.Wot a joke of a influential list.Most of these kind of lists are pants.At this time of year music journalists havn't got enough to do.They sit in their offices all day compiling ridiculous lists like this.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Where is Nirvana? Like it or not that band is massively influential perhaps more so than Led Zep, because it is relatively easy to construct and play.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Heh, I remember I read a long article on some music site how Weezer had been hugely influential, but usually aren't credited much for it. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    Where is Nirvana? Like it or not that band is massively influential perhaps more so than Led Zep, because it is relatively easy to construct and play.

i agree that Nirvana has a strong case to be included in that list.

if you look closely you'll see that Led Zep was also not included. hard to grasp. bit of an "arty farty" affair

• eoboeobo Posts: 102
    Influential lists differ depending on personal tastes, genres and even generation. I wouldn't include 6 out of the 10 albums here as even having a slight influence on my musical tastes.

As someone said before, this is a very "artsy-fartsy" list. Not for me.
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • never mind.... wrong thread.....